Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-07-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 18

Y740 cannot adjust the brightness of screen

2019-09-07, 19:27 PM

Recently I found I can't adjust the brightness of the screen, I have updated my integrate card driver and it doesn't work, no matter how I scroll up and down the process of brightness, the screen keep stable, it is ok at day time but too bright at night, my laptop is Y740(15), anyone can help me solve this issue? I really appreciate it if you give some useful advice. 

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Y740 cannot adjust the brightness of screen

2019-09-13, 3:54 AM

I have the same problem. I just got my Y740 yesterday, spent all night last night getting it set up and dealing with driver conflicts and bloatware (Lenovo Vantage and Killer Control Center) and all that jazz. Finally got everything configured, yet unfortunately I cannot change my screen brightness. It's kind of ridiculous to spend this much money on a computer and have it not work properly, let alone be such a hassle to even get it to work halfway-decently. I really hope somebody presents a fix, because I, too am already annoyed by just how ridiculously bright the screen is at night. It's a very nice screen and I appreciate the brightness, but jeez.

I installed all the drivers from the Lenovo drivers site, but in this case I am referring specifically referring to these. Both the Intel and NVidia chips show up under the Display Adapters section in the Device Manager, though the "NVIDIA Settings" application shows very little in the way of configurable options, at least compared to how many were present when I first booted up my computer yesterday. The versions I have installed, according to each device's respective Properties dialogues are as follows:

NVidia: 26.21.14.3063

Intel: 25.20.100.6374

I'm going to try downloading and installing updated drivers for each display adapter from their respective manufacturers' websites and I will report back with whether that was effective and what effects I noticed.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, I have the Lenovo Legion Y740-15IRHg with the Intel Core i7-9750H (9th gen), Intel UHD 630 Integrated Graphics, and NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU (6 GB VRAM). The driver links above might only be of specific use to you if you have a similar hardware configuration.

Thanks!

-Adrian

Update:

The NVidia installer went off without a hitch. It also installed their "GeForce Experience" bloatware (meh). When I ran the Intel installer, however, it popped up a dialogue with the following complaint: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

I then tried just clicking the "Update Driver" button in the Properties dialogue from the display adapter's entry in the Device Manager, and told it to automatically search for the best driver for me.

After all that, these are the versions I have now:

NVidia: 26.21.14.3630

Intel: 26.20.100.6860

AND I NOW HAVE FUNCTIONAL SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CONTROL! WOOHOO! (It was the Intel driver update that fixed it.)

Anyway, I hope that helps somebody.

Regards,

Adrian

Options

3 Posts

09-19-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 3 of 18

2019-09-19, 18:06 PM

I tried updating the Intel Card like you said, but it keeps saying I already have the best driver. The version it is currently running is 25.20.100.6577. I am assuming my problem is with the card because after turning on hybrid mode, allowing the device to switch between the Nvidia and the Intel card, I can't change the screen brightness anymore. When running only on the Nividia card, everything was working fine.

Options

61 Posts

08-27-2019

Egypt

80 Signins

871 Page Views

• Views: 871
  • Message 4 of 18

2019-09-20, 13:14 PM

Has anyone tried downgrading the drivers causing the issues?

I'd recommend to start by installing the one on lenovo's website to start with as I imagine that lenovo tested it and checked if it works well before uploading it on their website.

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2019-09-20, 17:56 PM

wrote:

start by installing the one on lenovo's website

Yeah, that's basically what I did, in order to get a functional baseline from which to start.

I believe I also disabled automatic driver downloads before I started, to ensure that I had absolute control over which driver version was installed. Windows cannot actually verify the full functionality of a driver -- it just assumes it works based on it being new, combined with a few basic sanity checks ("Does it output video at the expected resolution? Ok then we're good. Brightness control? Never heard of it. Not my problem").

wrote:

I imagine that lenovo tested it and checked if it works well before uploading it on their website.

I wouldn't count on it, seeing as the ones they provide from the support site do not provide brightness control on my Y740-15IRHg.

I'll rehash my first reply into a step-by-step list for clarity. My steps assume that the reader can figure out how to download and install software from websites on the internet -- I only provide official links, either to Lenovo's website or to that of the manufacturers of the individual hardware. These instructions are only 100% compatible with the Lenovo Legion Y740-15IRHg. If you have a different laptop, the same general steps will apply, but the specific details may differ, and the links may be invalid for your use case. These instructions are intended for Windows users only.

Installing the drivers

Step 1: Disable Windows' automatic driver download feature

Follow this guide: [LINK]

Step 2: Download and install the official Lenovo graphics drivers

Open this link in a new window or tab: [LINK]

On that website, find and download the following drivers:

• Intel VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Legion Y740-15ICHg, Legion Y740-17ICHg
  • NVIDIA VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Legion Y740-15ICHg, Legion Y740-17ICHg

You will need to expand the collapsed section by clicking the chevron under the See Files column for each driver in the list.

Step 3: Download and install the official NVidia graphics driver

Step 3.1: Tell the NVidia website your graphics card details

At the time I write this, the Lenovo Legion Y740-15 comes with one of the following GPU options (pulled directly from its marketing page on the Lenovo website [LINK]):

• NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 with Max-Q 8 GB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 6 GB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB

Under the green NVIDIA Driver Downloads header, input your graphics card and other details as follows:

1. Your Product Type will be "GeForce".

2. Your Product Series will vary depending on which GPU you ordered, which will be one of the following:

• "GeForce RTX 20 Series (Notebooks)" - this includes the RTX 2060 and the RTX 2070 (and the 2070 "Max-Q" variant)
  • "GeForce GTX 16 Series (Notebooks)" - this includes the GTX 1660 Ti

3. Your Product will vary depending on which GPU you ordered, which will be one of the following:

• "GeForce RTX 2070" - this is also for the "Max-Q" variant
  • "GeForce RTX 2060" - this is the one I have
  • "GeForce GTX 1660 Ti"

4. Your Operating System will be "Windows 10 64-bit".

5. The Windows Driver Type I chose was "DCH".

6. The Download Type will be "Game Ready Driver (GRD)", unless you got this laptop specifically for heavy 3D asset creation and rendering work.

7. The Language can be whatever you prefer.

Click the smallish green Search button to proceed...

Step 3.2: Download and install the driver

Under the green GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER header, you should see some basic details about the recommended driver. Beneath that, there should be a smallish green Download button. Click it.

After the file has downloaded, run it and follow the prompts. I will leave this part up to you, as it should be pretty standard and straightforward, assuming you have ever installed any other software on Windows before.

Step 4: Download and install the official Intel integrated graphics driver

Step 4.1: Find and download the driver file

Under the Available Downloads header in the left column of the website, there should be two drivers listed, along with various details about them. Find the blue header labelled igfx_win10_100.7158.exe. Beneath the driver details, there should be a smallish cyan Download button. Click it.

After the file has downloaded, run it and follow the prompts. I will leave this part up to you, as it should be pretty standard and straightforward, assuming you have ever installed any other software on Windows before.

Step 4.2: Intel driver error message (OPTIONAL)

This step is optional, in the event that the Intel integrated graphics driver installation fails.

Intel integrated graphics driver installer said:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

If the Intel integrated graphics driver installation fails with the above error message:

1. Open the Windows logo menu in the lower left corner.

2. Type "Device Manager" (without quotes) into the search box.

3. Click Device Manager in the search results list.

4. In the list of devices, find Display adapters.

5. Click the little triangle next to it so it expands. There should be two entries beneath it:

• Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 - I'm doing this from memory so this may be a little different
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - my Y740-15 has the RTX 2060; yours may differ

6. Right-click on the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 entry in the list.

7. In the little menu that pops up, click on Properties.

8. In the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 Properties window that pops up, click on the Driver tab.

9. In the Driver tab, click on the Update Driver button.

10. In the Update Drivers - Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 window that pops up, click on the → Search automatically for updated driver software option and do what it tells you to do.

...and that should do it. Maybe close everything and restart your computer (via the Restart option in the Windows logo menu). Your brightness control should now work.

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2019-09-20, 18:40 PM

Ok so I wrote a long, thorough, and detailed post breaking down step-by-step with newbie-friendly instructions on how to resolve this issue. The system keeps automatically deleting it shortly after I post it.

Admin note: situation resolved, explanation sent by PM

Options

10618 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32865 Signins

1222480 Page Views

• Views: 1222480
  • Message 7 of 18

2019-09-20, 18:22 PM

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

10618 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32865 Signins

1222480 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2019-09-20, 18:31 PM

Andy

Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

10618 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32865 Signins

1222480 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2019-09-20, 18:31 PM

Andy

Lenovo eServices

Options

10618 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32865 Signins

1222480 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2019-09-20, 18:32 PM

Andy

Lenovo eServices

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms