• Views: 62
  • Message 1 of 6

how do i transfer from my hard drive to an SSD and M.2 - Lenovo ideapad y700

2019-01-16, 2:36 AM

Computer: Lenovo ideapad y700 15ISK

Processor: Intel i7

New SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

New M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 256GB

I currently am running the 1TB hard drive that came with this laptop. My goal is to get rid of this drive and replace it with an SSD and an M.2.

From what i understand, the M.2 is much faster, thus I would like to put my OS on the M.2 and use the SSD as a storage drive for documents and such. What i dont understand is the process of going about this. 

I have used the Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Home x64 on it. From what i understand, this usb will allow me to install a fresh copy of Windows on my new drive that will activate automatically.

So, I am currently doing a backup of my hard drive (making an image to an external drive). As of now, i do not plan on cloning my current hard drive over to the SSD... as i want to start fresh and reinstall my programs onto the M.2 over time. Again, the SSD will be just for data storage, not programs or the OS.

Do I need to install the M.2 before I take out the hard drive and do anything to it? Go into Disk Managment and give it a drive letter or something? Or can I just boot up with nothing but the M.2 and my usb and directly install Windows on that? At what point do I install the SSD? Driver updates?? So much confusion as to what comes when...

Any help as to the necessary steps i need to take to acccomplish this would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if i have a misunderstood anything I spoke of above. Thanks!

Options

1306 Posts

05-01-2012

IL

2088 Signins

22402 Page Views

• Views: 22402
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: how do i transfer from my hard drive to an SSD and M.2 - Lenovo ideapad y700

2019-01-16, 8:23 AM

There are many free cloning apps like Samaung, Macrium, Easeus.. just search with Google.

Options

3 Posts

01-16-2019

US

7 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: how do i transfer from my hard drive to an SSD and M.2 - Lenovo ideapad y700

2019-01-16, 14:42 PM

You didn’t read what I wrote... I do not want to clone, I want to start with a fresh install of windows as if it’s a new computer

Options

1306 Posts

05-01-2012

IL

2088 Signins

22402 Page Views

• Views: 22402
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-01-16, 15:36 PM

Go to Microsoft site and download a copy of Windows (same version that yoy have a license for) and install. You don't need to enter a license as it is already "burned" on your laptop board.

For ease of download you can use : Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool 7.35

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Options

13 Posts

03-01-2013

USA

26 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 5 of 6

Re:how do i transfer from my hard drive to an SSD and M.2 - Lenovo ideapad y700

2020-09-17, 18:18 PM

Not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you're going from a 2.5" HDD to 2.5" SSD (860 EVO) and an M.2 boot drive (970 EVO). I'm not familiar with the Y700, but first make sure you can boot from the M.2 socket. Second, since you're only going from 1TB to 1.25TB, I'm not sure what all the dual drive fanciness is about. But let's assume all is possible and desirable.

Step 1 - Clone (yes, clone) the 2.5" HDD to the 2.5" SSD. You can go back later and remove the drive's boot sector using the Disk Management tool, and move the actual data (in C:\Users\{yourname}\ to the M.2 drive.

Step 2 - Copy everything from the C:\Users\{yourname}\ subdirectory to the M.2 drive

Step 3 - This is the fun part. You need to enter the Y700 BIOS and tell it the M.2 socket is now the desirable "boot" socket.

Step 4 - There's a fair amount of changes that need to be made to tell Windows that the data files are no longer on the boot drive. This may not be for you if you can't do this yourself.

My recommendation would be to blow the whole idea off and instead just purchase a 2TB, 2.5" SSD (860 EVO or equivalent, $280 at Newegg) and use it as both the boot drive and data drive. It will be so much faster than than the old HDD, probably no more expensive than your two-drive option, and won't require any software or BIOS reconfigurations. You can't go wrong!

Options

65 Posts

08-31-2020

US

30 Signins

390 Page Views

• Views: 390
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:how do i transfer from my hard drive to an SSD and M.2 - Lenovo ideapad y700

2020-09-17, 20:35 PM

You didn’t read what I wrote... I do not want to clone, I want to start with a fresh install of windows as if it’s a new computer

You have two basic options:

1. Use any one of those free programs to make a backup image or backup specific folders (you could even use file explorer).  Then, once you have re-installed windows you can selectively move files back.

2. Use any one of those free programs to clone the drive (hear me out),  then, once it boots up, Go into Windows and do a complete Windows factory reset.  This will have the added benefit of maintaining your factory recovery partition.  You may then have to resize the partition to match the drive size.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete