Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maqROOT
Paper Tape
Views: 1,888
Message 1 of 6

how to install windows 7 on lenovo ideapad y700

how to install windows 7 on this.  Here's what i've done:

I've used both the Windows 7 DVD and i created a bootable USB wiith it (UEFI Boot).  They work.

I disabled the  security in the bios, so i could work with UEFI, but when i boot the machine with either, the windows 7 loading screen happens, then it freezes on the Starting Windows animated logo.  I can get no further.

When i set the bios to boot in legacy mode it gets past that part, but then asks me for a driver.   I've downloaded all of the windows 7 64 bit drivers on the Y700-15ISK driver page, but none of them seem to be the driver that windows is looking for.

Right now i'm a little at the end of my rope on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,870
Message 2 of 6

Re: how to install windows 7 on lenovo ideapad y700

Hello and welcome,

For Windows 7 to install and boot in UEFI mode you need to turn on CSM support in BIOS.  What you describe is typical of missing CSM support - although it could be something else.

If when you boot in legacy mode it says a required CD/DVD driver is missing, you'll probably need to add USB 3.0 drivers.  That will also be the case if you get it to boot in UEFI mode.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,848
Message 3 of 6

@maqROOT wrote:

When i set the bios to boot in legacy mode it gets past that part, but then asks me for a driver.   I've downloaded all of the windows 7 64 bit drivers on the Y700-15ISK driver page, but none of them seem to be the driver that windows is looking for.

You need to "slipstream" the missing USB drivers into the install image.  This utility can help you do it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

By the way, there are numerous threads dealing with this topic on this website.  If you are still having difficulties, try searching for some of those threads and see if they can help you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,832
Message 4 of 6

Yeah a lot of drivers missing and will take a lot of work. Not for the faint at heart if you aren't an IT person stick with what works. 

Why on earth would you want be running an unsupported OS. 3 generations back now and the security won't be nearly as good as Win 8.1 or Win 10 which have supported drivers.

Lots of threads on this as everyone has trouble thats attempted it so you have to search and read what issue people had and fixing them.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 1,776
Message 5 of 6

I use Windows 10 on my Y700 but would only consider it a viable choice if you remove all the spyware, and prevent any automatic updates as they have proven to be a never-ending source of problems. Doing all this properly is a lot of work, assuming you even know how to do it, as it is orders of magnitude more difficult than slipstreaming a Windows 7 driver.

Non-technical people are screwed either way but the OP is going for the better choice here. Any Microsoft product should be realistically treated as unsupported (ever read the "EULA"?) but officially Windows 7 is in fact supported until 2020. Security under Windows is essentially an illusion anyway but regular and free updates will be available for Windows 7 too at least until that date. Arguably, Windows 7 (SP1) is more "supported" than most of the Windows 10 builds, which quickly become obsolete (LTSB excepted).

As for the "3 generations back" comment, under the hood these OS are all much the same. Most of the development effort after Windows 7 went into providing a touch-friendly interface to compete with mobile devices (irrelevant on a non-touch PC), and monetizing the user base. Even without getting into the technical nitty-gritty, you surely must realize that Windows version numbers have been inflated to impress people. Marketing mumbo jumbo aside, Windows 10 is not even Windows 9 but more like Windows 8.2, i.e. Microsoft's third and most desperate attempt thus far to lure their customers into the "cloud" where they can be milked on a regular basis, not just every once in a while as is the case now. This approach is likely to end just as anything else Microsoft have attempted, and then we'll have yet another "last ever" Windows 100, at which point Windows 7 might be "93 generations back" yet still a choice worth consideration for the vast majority of users.

felix_w
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,763
Message 6 of 6

Ι can't remember if the 15ISK has a M.2 slot, but in my 17ISK i used a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive for the UEFI Windows 7 installation and disconnected the original HDD with the Win10 installation.

I have secure boot disabled, fast boot disabled and UEFI mode for boot.

I used the Windows 7 USB3.0 creator tool also,as advised in a previous answer in this thread.

The problem i stuck into was that the installation could not proceed unless the M.2 drive was formatted without any previous installation in it.

If i am correct, your problem might be the Fast Boot option, which should be disabled of the Windows 7 UEFI to work.

All the above was with Bios version 35. Latest version is 53, so i cannot tell if the options are the same with it.

Top Kudoed Authors