Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinfonia
Paper Tape
Views: 42,544
Message 1 of 23

ideapad y700 windows 10 keyboard stops working

Hello, so I've had this laptop now for a week and I'm seriously considering returning it since I have 30 days. Every device has its quirks but some are harder to overlook than others.Twice now when playing games my laptop* keyboard has completely stopped responding. No keys or combinations of keys work.The game doesn't freeze and I still have mouse/touchpad control. Both times I'm able to close out of the game and hit restart, where it just hangs for several minutes saying "restarting...", so I have to hard shut down. Upon rebooting, everything seems fine.

BIOS Version: LENOVO CDCN35WW, 3/29/2016

*haven't tested this with external keyboard yet

Digging through the event view I've found this in both cases:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Thank you so much 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 42,353
Message 2 of 23

Re: ideapad y700 windows 10 keyboard stops working

The first thing I would do is make sure you have all the latest Windows Updates, and then go to http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/, click on Detect to allow it to find your computer model etc., and then select Update your system from the right pane to ensure that you have all of the latest drivers.      There may be a BIOS update too, but hold off on that until you have first updated all the device drivers, because Lenovo BIOS updates can sometimes go bad, so I would only apply them if instructed to do so by Lenovo Support (1-855-253-6686) since you are still within the 30-day period.

FYI, the latest BIOS for an Ideapad Y700-15ISK, Y700 Touch-15ISK, Y700-17ISK is CDCN53WW dated 9/24/2016, and from searching Lenovo forum posts, it appears that CDCN35WW had known issues and was pulled, so it may be that your computer may have been already in the distribution channel before the issue was identified and fixed with a subsequent BIOS release.

Good Luck,

sinfonia
Paper Tape
Views: 42,317
Message 3 of 23

Thank you for the information! I called that support number and they hopped on an updated my BIOS. I guess only time will tell if that fixes it?

Thanks again

Elv02
Paper Tape
Views: 42,163
Message 4 of 23

Just wanted to post here and say I had this issue just occur as well.  I am doing a bios update now, and we'll see if that fixes it.

It's only happened once, so hopefully that will be it (also, did you have an issue where you got a Novo Button Menu that you couldnt choose anything for?)  I had to restart a second time to get to the Windows login where the keyboard started working again.

vanthomas326
Blue Screen Again
Views: 42,190
Message 5 of 23

Hi!

I also have a y700 that I bought <6months ago and faced pretty much the exact same situation. My keyboard AND trackpad would randomly stop working in the middle of a game. I wouldn't be able to CTRL+ALT+DEL and the only solution was to hold the power button and force the laptop off. Upon rebooting, everything would seem fine until the problem happens again.

MY SOLUTION:

After this happened to me twice in one week, I decided to chat online with a lenovo tech support (I think his name was Cris). He prompted me to enter the Device Manager and under the tab 'Keyboards', uninstall everything (right click and click uninstall). We also did the same with the 'Mice and other pointing devices' tab. After doing so, the two tabs (Keyboards and Mice) disappeared. After restarting the laptop, they were back in the Device Manager Folder, and I haven't had any problems since!

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but based on your description, we faced the same dilemma. I am also not sure what any of that stuff (unistalling the things under Device Manager) actually does but it worked for me. 

Good luck and let me know if this helped!

P.S. - Sound Stopped Working out of One Side (SOLVED)

About a week after this keyboard problem, I had another problem where the left speaker of the laptop was very quiet. When I plugged in earphones, the right side would be loud whereas the left side would be mute/very quiet. At first I thought it was a hardware problem, but wanted to try something. I went into Device Manager once more and went down to 'Sound, video and game controllers,' and just like before, uninstalled everything in that tab. After restarting, the sound worked PERFECTLY as it did out of the box.

I have no idea what these problems are caused by but hopefully Lenovo does something about it soon.

Hope this thread helps!

sinfonia
Paper Tape
Views: 42,185
Message 6 of 23

Hi thank you for the feedback! Since my BIOS update everything has been good but if it happens again I'll definitely try what you guys did.

RustamAG
What's DOS?
Views: 41,024
Message 7 of 23

I have the exact problem, and it pisses me so much off.

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity, implied profanity or attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by Forum Rules and have been removed.

anacuper
What's DOS?
Views: 40,976
Message 8 of 23

The same thing was happening to my laptop (LENOVO IDEAPAD Y700) and my son's. THANK YOU!  I just installed the new BIOS and everything was fixed. 

anacuper
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 23

The BIOS update fixed the keyboard problem.

anacuper
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 23

You have to: go to Lenovo support website (http://support.lenovo.com/)  and

1- go to Lenovo support website (http://support.lenovo.com/)  and

2- click 'Detect my product'.

3- Then,  click 'update your system' and

4- download the BIOS option (http://support.lenovo.com/br/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/y700-17isk/80...). Just install it and wait.

5- Just install it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors