GY

45 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 1 of 3

is it safe to leave charger plugged in after 100% full on legion-Y720

2017-09-07, 23:39 PM

Hello everyone.

I wish to know if it is safe to leave my charger plugged in on my Legion Y720 for long hours after it has been fully charged.

I do a lot of work in photoshop, cinema 4d and Coreldraw, these applications are all open at the same time smetimes and I have the feeling it might pressure the battery. I might be wrong but for the past four months I've been using it this way.

I also keep it plugged in for long hours during gaming even though it is fully charged.

Is this a safe thing to do or should I unplug it when the battery is 100%

Thank you in advance for your kind support.

Sivash.

Solved! See the solution
Options

254 Posts

08-21-2016

US

1257 Signins

9377 Page Views

• Views: 9377
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: is it safe to leave charger plugged in after 100% full on legion-Y720

2017-09-08, 0:46 AM

The laptop isn't being charged all the time. That would indeed strain the battery. Instead, it stops charging at 100% and lets the battery discharge to 95%, at which point charging kicks in again.

In older ThinkPads you used to be able to change this threshold to something as low as 70%. This would have the effect of extending battery life.

Alternatively, when using AC power you could just remove the battery and store it in a cold environment at about 40% charge to extend its life even further. However, the batteries are not easily removable in most new laptops, so this is not practical either.

On the other hand, Li-Ion battery condition progressively deteriorates regardless if you use it or not, and the replacement cost is unlikely to be high these days, so I'd suggest to just use it the way it's convenient for you, and don't worry. It is definitely safe to do so, as long as the place you are using it in is within the operating temperature constraint for the device.

Tell Lenovo the Y700 needs a better boot logo here

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

23 Posts

04-30-2017

GY

45 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: is it safe to leave charger plugged in after 100% full on legion-Y720

2017-09-08, 12:21 PM

Thank you very much for educating me on this. I'm glad I know this and even happier to know I'm in a safe zone in the way I use my device.

Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete