cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWumper
Punch Card
Views: 593
Message 1 of 6

y520 (i5 7300HQ) turbo for extened period of time.

Hello.

I have a question regarding the turbo speeds in a Y520 equiped with a 7300HQ. While I do something in windows the CPU sometimes reaches 3,5GHz which is the maximum for it, but while I play a game or do a stress test it never goes above 3GHz. The CPU temperetures never reach above 71~72C and as far as I know it shouldn't thermal throttle until around 80C.

So, can I somehow ensure that my CPU runs at 3,5GHz, the max turbo speed if the temperatures are fine? It would be useful in some games where the CPU bottlenecks the whole system like in AC Origins.

Thanks in advance.

RabidSasquatch0
Token Ring
Views: 550
Message 2 of 6

Re: y520 (i5 7300HQ) turbo for extened period of time.

This is a common issue with the Legion series, some bios setting that might have had good intentions (power efficiency/thermals), but in practice is unnecessary and greatly hinders performance.  Good news is it can be turned off fairly easily if you know what you're doing.

If you download the software Throttlestop (used for undervolting and CPU monitoring and such), and change the settings to run SpeedShift 64 (down from 128) instead of SpeedStep (essentially the CPU will now adjust automatically for its need, whereas under SpeedStep it would jump either into or out of boost, with no in-between), this should fix your issue.  It also wouldn't hurt to undervolt your CPU here if you so desire (it's better temps, you don't really lose anything by doing it).  Just be sure to do your research and use caution because you can potentially hurt your laptop if you start changing the wrong settings here.

This should solve the issue, but note you'll need to restart Throttlestop ever time you launch your laptop for the changes to save (or have it run on startup, you can find tutorials online for how to set that up).

DWumper
Punch Card
Views: 538
Message 3 of 6

I already use Throttlestop. Without it, the CPU sometimes goes down to 2.3GHz but even with Throttlestop, I can't get it to run abow 3.09GHz while gaming. I underwolted by 100mV, disabled speedstep and set Speedshift to 0, but I still can't get it to run at 3.5GHz while gaming.

unclewebb9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 518
Message 4 of 6

The maximum multiplier for a Core i5-7300HQ is 35 but this is only available when a single core is active.  It is impossible for the CPU to use this multiplier when gaming because more cores are active.  When 3 or 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is 31 so it sounds like your CPU is running exactly as Intel intended it to run.  It is an HQ processor so it cannot be overclocked.

DWumper
Punch Card
Views: 514
Message 5 of 6

I see, I didn't know about that limitation. Thank you.

unclewebb9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 511
Message 6 of 6

CPU World is the best source for information when it comes to what multipliers are available vs how many cores are active.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5%20i5-7300HQ.html

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors