Options

3 Posts

04-14-2016

IL

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 4

y700- GeForce GTX 960M: The test returns a warning. A thermal protection mechanism was triggered

2016-04-14, 20:44 PM

hi,

i bought a new y700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad)  2 monthes ago, and less than a day trouble poped up. the main trouble is with freezing screen, smudged screen, black windows when i saved files in illustration. 

the laptop went back to the store and they reinstalled drivers and win 10 and the problem kept going. than it went to lenovo lab and they reinstalled win 10 and again same problem, they say everything is ok but i insist that its not, and i have pictures and videos to prove that. 

i demanded to replace the new laptop but got refused by the store and by lenovo (for now its in the hand of my lawyer).

in lenovo solution center i get this warning for the GeForce GTX 960MThe test returns a warning. A thermal protection mechanism was triggered. Please be sure the case ventilation openings are not obstructed.

can that be the problem and the solution for lenovo to finally replace the new laptop?

i must say i'm really frustrated and not using the laptop at all for the main purpose which is my business as a designer companey.

can you please solve my problem? thanks, oren.

Options

11834 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7072 Signins

741594 Page Views

• Views: 741594
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: y700- GeForce GTX 960M: The test returns a warning. A thermal protection mechanism was triggered

2016-04-14, 21:44 PM

Hi gummygam , 

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Similar to this thread discussed : 

"The "thermal protection mechanism was triggered. Please be sure the case ventilation openings are not obstructed" error means that the GPU reached its peak temperature and it was possibly throttled down to protect the GPU chip from overheating. " 

This would explain the display and freezing issue you are having . 

You may check on the warranty service you can avail from here and report this findings to the tech support team for them to provide needed repair . 

English  24 hours a day 7 days/week
1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686
Schedule a Callback for faster support  

Update us how things go for you.  

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

04-14-2016

IL

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: y700- GeForce GTX 960M: The test returns a warning. A thermal protection mechanism was triggered

2016-04-15, 6:15 AM

Thanks spidey101,

the main thing that i want to know is, if this kind of problem is enough reason for lenovo to replace my laptop and give the store DOA.

i'm not a technition, i bought a new laptop and why should i stay with a bad one and not functional.

thanks

Options

11834 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7072 Signins

741594 Page Views

• Views: 741594
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-04-15, 13:45 PM

Hi gummygam , 

Greetings. 

As a technician , I can only suggest troubleshooting and self help guides for repair. 

As for your query I believe that this is more about warranty policies .

Herewith are the Warranty Policies that could explain better.

Hope this helps you. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete