Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jon_probably
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 1 of 6

y720 BIOS update 10 v4GCN35WW and keyboard backlight questions

First question:
     I ran a scan for driver updates through the Lenovo site and was prompted to install a critical BIOS update (BIOS Update-10 version 4GCN35WW).  During the installation process there was a warning that the update was only for the ideapad and some other model not the Legion.  Naturally, I cancelled the install.

I just wanted to confirm that this update is NOT for the Legion y720, correct?

Its confusing because I did the search for updates based on my laptop model and serial number, but got the conflicting information from the installation setup for the update itself.

Second question:
How can I activate the FN+Space keyboard shortcut for the keyboard backlights for when I'm NOT signed in as the administrator?

I do the vast majority of my work from a personal (non-admin) windows profile, using the admin account only for updates and system wide settings changes.  The Nerve Center app works just fine in both accounts, and the FN+Space shortcut DOES work when I'm signed in to the admin account.  The shorcut does not work when I'm signed in to my every-day user profile.  Its a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

I have read the other posts about the keyboard backlight issues, and I have tried installing the recommended drivers.  It fixes the problem until I sign out and back in.  Even just as a result of sleep mode or closing the lid.  Any other ideas? 

Thanks in advance

nortondlcl
Punch Card
Views: 785
Message 2 of 6

Re: y720 BIOS update 10 v4GCN35WW and keyboard backlight questions

I did BIOS update on my Y720 and every thing runs fine , The only thing that happen is I had to configure BIOS setting again for my SSD. I don't know what update changed maybe Lenovo tech can read this and let me know.

jon_probably
Paper Tape
Views: 759
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response. I just got an automated prompt to update the BIOS and again it clearly states that it is only for the ideapad y720/Rescuer y720. Not the Legion.
I'm also hoping a Lenovo tech responds to this thread. I can't find a way to contact them directly via email.
nortondlcl
Punch Card
Views: 748
Message 4 of 6

That sucks because I installed it, Computer runs fine, Lol
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 687
Message 5 of 6

The BIOS version for the Y720-15IKB with MTM 80VR can be found on the following linked to page, the only fix noted is for the Spectre & Meltdown vulnerability.  Please don't concern yourself that during the update process Legion might not be mentioned.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LEGION-SERIES/LEGION-Y720-15IKB/dow...

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

jon_probably
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 6 of 6

Andy,

Thank you for the clarification.  Update installed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors