Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YogaNBD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 639
Message 1 of 4

Appalling Lenovo NBD On-Site Service

I have a Thinkpad Yoga bought with a 3-year NBD on-site service. Since January, a couple of keys on the keyboard stopped working. To cut a long story short, the Lenovo technical support finally thinks that there is a problem with the motherboard. The technician was schedule to contact me on or before 22/03/2016. After hearing nothing from them, I called their call centre on 23/03/2016 and talked to a manager. The manager promised that it will get fixed on 24/03/2016, but nothing happened once more. Again, I contacted their call centre on Tuesday. A manager assured me that the technician would come this afternoon. Of course, they did not! After spending most of this afternoon calling back and forward, I finally gave up at 6pm and decided to buy another computer.
NBD on-site service seems to be a way for Lenovo to rip off their customers and means nothing. It appears to me that the business model of Lenovo is selling cheap to trap the customers and provides minimal after-sell service to cut down cost. For most of us who are time-poor (in total, I estimate, I have spent more than 10 hours on the phone), we have no choice but give up.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 589
Message 2 of 4

Re: Appalling Lenovo NBD On-Site Service

Hi YogaNBD, welcome to the forums,

really sorry to have to read about your experience.  Has the system board since been replaced and the issue resolved?  If not could you please send me the following information by private message;

Full Name;
Tel. No. with country code;
email address;
System Type;
System s/n;

Date of purchase;
Case Numbers;

Thanks in advance

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

YogaNBD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 560
Message 3 of 4

Dear Andy_Lenovo,

Thank you for your prompt response to my post. The current case number is 800 674 7961. The previous case numbers related to this computer are 800 654 0131 and 700 721 1574. If you cannot find other information from the Lenovo database, please let me know. Could you look at the records of the calls and broken promises Lenovo made? This is by-far the worst experience I have ever had with any purchase above $100. If I did not happen to me personally, I cannot believe that it could possible happen in Australia.

A Unisys technician called me at about 12pm on Thursday. I had been away for the last two days. He will contact me again Monday afternoon. Now, I have another computer (I had to get one for my work of the last two days). I do not care that much when the Yoga will be fixed. It will become a shared computer for no critical tasks.

I would like to take this opportunity to bring to your attention my previous experiences with Lenovo Customer Service.

The FIRST case is a failed SSD on an X230T purchased with NBD on-site service. It was reported on January 2 2013. The case number is: 8000626411. Please also see the posts on Lenovo forum:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/Replace-SSD-on-X230T/m-p/982069/highlight/...

During the process, I was given the contact of the Environment & Social Media Manager, Lenovo Australia and New Zealand. She was very responsive and escalated the case, but it did not help. As you can see from the posts, I bought and installed a SSD myself after waiting for more than 1 week (It is evident, I image, that one only purchases a NBD service if one cannot be without a computer for more than a few days).

The replacement SSD was received on March 1, 2013, that is 3 (THREE!) months after making the NBD service request and many unpleasant phone calls.

The SECOND case is with the same X230T. The ticket number is P4LWZ1X. It is a motherboard/memory failure. I wrote to the Contacted the Environment & Social Media Manager, Lenovo Australia and New Zealand, on January 28, 2014 after waiting for one week. She tried to help, but the repair was still only done on February 27, 2014, i.e. more than one whole month after making the NBC service request (During the waiting, I bought another computer). When I asked the technician why it took so long, he responded that Lenovo sent the parts by normal mails instead of courier services to cut down cost. I really felt outraged as I purchased NBD service.

After bought and installed another copy of MS Windows OS and Office (the old licences did not work with the new motherboard), I found that the new motherboard did not have a TPM and I could not turn on BitLocker. Considering that it is too much a hassle to have the motherboard replaced again and I had another computer already, I gave up on making another request.

I found that a laptop/tablet with pen input improved my work efficiency greatly and started with a Fujitsu T series. When replacing the Fujitsu, I found the Lenovo X220t. It was cheaper and also lighter than a Fujitsu. I really liked it very much. I have been using the Think-branded workstations for many years, long before it was bought by Lenovo from IBM. The machines were all very reliable. I never made any service calls prior to the X230t. Foolishly, I thought that my experience with the X230t was a matter of bad luck and went on to buy this Yoga.

When this Yoga arrived, stylus did work properly in an area of about a 5-cent coin. A volume button soon stopped working. These things should not happen with a new computer, but was not critical. I did not make a service request for repair, knowing the pains it would involve. Before this failure, I was seriously looking at replacing this computer with an X1 Yoga, which is cheaper that the MS Surface Book. Now, I will not be fooled again!

It appears to me that Lenovo’s business model is to cut the quality of the products, undercut their competitors by price (so it becomes the No 1 PC maker) and cut costs by providing extremely poor custom service (for example, the call centre in Australia was moved to the US and now to another country from what I can tell). What I find the most outrageous is the marketing of the Next Business Day on-site services that, judging from my experience, Lenovo has no intention to honour (When I think back, this may be one of the strategies of Lenovo to increase their sells: you have to buy two Lenovo laptops if you want to have a working one).

It seems that my experience is not an isolated case. There is a long list of posts at Whirlpool on Lenovo Custom Service: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1996210

Lenovo is clearly banking on “so, what can you do”? Yes, I may have no more time to spend on this case than writing this long post. You win, Lenovo! However, where is your conscience?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 510
Message 4 of 4

Hello YogaNBD,

thank you for the extra information and history and I certainly hope that your current situation will be resolved once the technician has contacted you on Monday afternoon, and that further it will not be necessary for me to open a complaint on your behalf, due to the situation being resolved, for which I would need you to send the information by private message requested in my previous post.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors