Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 62

Broken Hinge on IdeaPad 5-15IIL05 Laptop - Type 81YK

2021-01-29, 23:32 PM

I purchased this laptop May 2020 for school and it is my first(and last) Lenovo product. I did a lot of research on other brands and landed on this IdeaPad because it had everything I needed/wanted. Everything was great up until January 11th 2021, I was opening the lid and heard a cracking noise. At first, I thought the bezel (black border around the screen) was only coming off, which honestly made sense to me because the long rubber stopper on the bottom of the laptop came unglued and fell off a few weeks prior. But then I realized that the left side of the hinge seemed to be popped out. Great. So I have to leave the screen alone now and leave the laptop open, which luckily I'm an online student this semester, but if I have to go back to campus, transporting my computer back and forth will be virtually impossible. 

I called Lenovo and was informed that yes, they are aware that this issue is a common one, but my warranty would not cover it. I then went to a local computer shop and the guy working there looked it over. He confirmed that it was an internal hardware problem and that there is no external damage. He also said that I shouldn't even bother paying to have it fixed because it will only happen again. I am very frustrated and disappointed. I don't have money for a new laptop and I was planning on this one lasting me many years; it was an investment. And now I'm out of luck and told that I purchased a cheap, poorly designed computer. I wish I would've realized that before and saved my money.

And as a last little detail, I reached out to a law firm who I found through google who is collecting claims against Lenovo's faulty hinges. Nothing will probably come from it and I'm just out $700, but I figure I'll post on here just in case anyone else is thinking about buying this computer. Yeah, it's powerful and quick, and it does still work fine, but I didn't even get a year of use out of it before the hinge broke. I'm not giving up and will continue to call Lenovo until my warranty runs out in 3 months, though I'm not hopeful and am probably only wasting my own time. All my laptops before this one cost 1/4 of the price and I never had anything break on them, so for this to happen, I really don't know how they get away with it.

Options

11606 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33045 Signins

1235575 Page Views

• Views: 1235575
  • Message 2 of 62

Re:Broken Hinge on IdeaPad 5-15IIL05 Laptop - Type 81YK

2021-02-01, 16:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Community,

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing an issue, if you disagree with the conclusions of a call center or service partner you can request you case to be escalated to a complaint; the call center can do this for you. You will need to provide your contact and the system details along with any case numbers should you have opened a case. Once opened it will be assigned to a Case Manager who will look into the detail and contact you in regard to your complaint.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2 Posts

06-15-2021

United States of America

9 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 62

2021-06-15, 21:28 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to see if you had any guidance as to how to "escalate" this issue as a complaint?  I have the exact same laptop, with the exact same problem which occurred in almost identical circumstances to the previous poster.  The "premium support" engineer I spoke with insists this is physical damage not covered by my premium support contract - I attempted to request an escalation but was told no remedy was available due to the photos I provided.

Thanks in advance!

Options

11606 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33045 Signins

1235575 Page Views

• Views: 1235575
  • Message 4 of 62

2021-06-16, 8:45 AM

Hello and welcome to Community,

The process is described in my above post and please feel free to post your photos here in another post.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

1 Posts

06-18-2021

Trinidad and Tobago

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 62

2021-06-18, 11:51 AM

I too bought this laptop less than a year ago and encountered the same problem. The only difference is that the hinge on the right hand side of the laptop broke off. I am very disappointed with Lenovo, especially after reading similar stories. 

Options

2 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 6 of 62

2021-06-21, 23:19 PM

I have the same model and it happened to me too. The right hinge came off. Were you able to get Lenovo to fix it?

Options

3 Posts

01-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 7 of 62

2021-06-22, 4:17 AM

Im sorry to hear the same thing happened to you and a few others on this thread. Unfortunately not, my warranty expired last month so I’m out of luck now. I just have to carry my laptop open all the time around campus, scared to close it. It sucks.. eventually I’ll probably just pay and get it fixed, but saving up for that. I hope you’re able to have better luck with Lenovo service. 

Options

4 Posts

06-22-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 62

2021-06-22, 16:13 PM

I purchased the Lenovo Ideapad 5 in October 2020. In February 2021 I went to close my lid and heard a loud

cracking noise, the left hinge/screen/lid had broken off! I was unable to close the machine.

I have called Lenovo tech support several times since Feb. and am getting the run around from them.

They are aware of the problem but do not consider it a warranty issue. They are twisting words, saying it

is a hardware  problem that is not covered under their manufacturer's warranty. It is defective equipment!

That failed during normal use. I asked Lenovo to escalate up my problem to a complaint which they did and assigned

a Ms. Cherry who contacted me once and has not responded again after I sent her 3 more emails. I was told by both tech

support and Ms. Cherry to take the machine to Best Buy for warranty service. We went there 3 times and 3 times Best Buy

refused, saying they do not have any contract with Lenovo.

I am extremely upset by this. The computer cost $700+ at Costco. And Costco can't help, they say it's Lenovo who should cover it.

I gave up and went to UbreakIFix and they had to replace the entire lid, because the hinge seperated from the upper lid, because of

the cheap plastic used. I paid out of pocket $279 so i can close my 6 month old computer.

I wish I had stayed with Dell.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. (NateS)

Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 9 of 62

2021-06-26, 21:37 PM

Hi,

Yep....exactly the same experience as me

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebooks/Ideapad-5-10-months-old-and-both-hinges-have-self-destructed/m-p/5084402

Apparently we're suckers for buying Lenovo and believing they support their products.    When the back to school sales start it will be a different vendor for me - and a warning to anyone I see looking at Lenovo's.    Then I'll part my mine out - except for the JUNK hinges.

Options

2 Posts

06-15-2021

United States of America

9 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 10 of 62

2021-06-28, 18:53 PM

Hello,

Please find a close-up photo of the broken hinge attached.  I've almost exclusively used this laptop plugged into a port-replicator and it doesn't get opened/closed/transported very often.  The first indication there was a problem was when I attempted to open the screen and it made this piercing *crack* noise with the resulting effect.  The damage transferred into the display as well.

Any assistance you can provide in helping resolve this situation would be greatly appreciated.  I had purchase Premium Care on-site support but even at this level I was informed that no physical repairs are covered, even if it's not due to physical damage.  My case # is 2002549782 if that is of assistance.

Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms