Options

8 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 8

Charged for a Laptop I never Received - How do I get somebody to review a complaint?

2019-05-04, 16:30 PM

I have never had such a bad experience with a company.  I am at a loss as to how to get somebody to listen to me.   I have been on the phone with Lenovo customer support and they cannot resove my questions and often times give me false or misleading information.  Here is my story, I can provide an order number if necessary:

In March of 2019 I ordered a Legion Y740.  I was excited about this product and, despite it being slightly over budget for me with the 3-year warranties attached, I ordered it.  I spent significant time researching my other options as well.  When I placed the order I did so through Amazon Pay for convenience.  This was an option on the Lenovo website.  A pending charge was placed on my credit card.  However, without notice the shipping date was pushed out 4-6 weeks.  Needless to say I was unhappy.  I called the Lenovo customer service line.  I was told that I had ordered a "custom item" and that they therefore could not estimate a shipping date.  To be specific, I requested a slightly larger SSD and installation of windows pro 10.  I understand that custom orders take longer, but 4-6 weeks to put in a SSD and install windows was excessive.  I was promised that the person on the phone would contact me personally by email and get an update from the warehouse team.  This was never done.  Furthermore, I received an email stating that if I did not cancel I would be getting a discount.  This also did not happen.  However, I decided not to cancel at that time and to wait it out.  Part of this was because of the delay in processing me a refund.  I was also concerned because I could not find the charge on my account and so I confirmed with them that they had already received and processed payment.  

The item was supposed to ship on April 25.  As the date approached I checked the order status and it updated to April 23.  On April 23 the laptop did not ship.  Instead they updated the shipping date to 4/24 and the estimated arrival date to 4/24.  This made not sense since I understand they would be shipping this from China and I live in the US.  On 4/24, they updated it to 4/25... on 4/25 they updated it to 4/26.  Frustrated, I called customer service to get an update.  They read me the same speach word for word about it being a custom order.  They offered to contact the "warehouse team" to see when it could be shipped and get back to me.  This time they sent me one email and never followed up.  Frustrated, on 4/26 I called and cancelled my order.  The customer service again confirmed that they had already received payment.  They told me that they would process the cancellation and that it could take 24-48 hours.  Then they would process my "full refund."  Both my wife an I checked the account and could not find the charge that had been pending on my credit card.  After the call I received an email from Lenovo stating that my order would be "automatically cancelled" due to federal law because they could not estimate a shipping date.  The shipping date, according to the website for the order, was pushed out another 24 hours. 

Then, on a Saturday, the laptop suddenly shipped.  I checked my credit card, there were no charges still.  I called Lenovo.  This time the customer service person said it wouldn't be a problem because they could just reroute the laptop to North Carolina.  This is their US warehouse location.  However, he then said that once it was received that Lenovo would process a "full refund."  I told him that I checked my account and there was no charge.  I asked him to confirm where the refund would go to and he stated "Amazon Account."  He also stated a string of numbers that does not attached to any of my accounts or my wife's accounts.  Concerned I called Amazon Pay.  They indicated that it would go on one of my cards but that it had never been processed.  They sent an email to Lenovo stating that Lenovo needed to cancel the charge because I had never received the laptop.  I did not want to be refunded money for a laptop that I had never received and did not want and which I had never been paid for. 

UPS did update the shipping location and on 5/2 the laptop was received at the North Carolina warehouse.  I have the proof of service from the UPS website.  Shortly after it was received Lenovo processed a payment on my credit card for ove $2000.00.  In sum, Lenovo sent themselves a laptop that I cancelled and then charged me for it.  This is unacceptable.  I contacted my bank who eventually took a dispute/fraud complaint on the charge once it posted.  I also contacted AmazonPay and initiated a complaint through them.  I called Lenovo and the customer service person would not put a supervisor on the phone (2nd time I had asked to no avail) and seemed clueless about the issue.  All he could state was that the laptop had been received at the North Carolina location (he confirmed that Lenovo had the laptop) but that it would take at least 7-10 business days for my refund to process "once [the laptop] was processed in their system."   I would note that there are numerous complaints about it taking months to process refunds.  That is not acceptable. 

Let me be clear, I consider this fraud and/or theft.  I never received my Y740.  I had cancelled my Y740.  Lenovo stated that they had no estimated shipping date for my Y740.  It would be one thing if Lenovo had actually charged me for this prior to shipping (I guess), but Lenovo did not process payment until THEY RECEIVED THE LAPTOP.  This is not a "return" of something I purchased.  

I have placed a dispute on the charge through my bank.  I need to know how to contact a supervisor or get somebody to actually review what happened to me.  

Solved! See the solution
Options

8 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Charged for a Laptop I never Received - How do I get somebody to review a complaint?

2019-05-04, 16:32 PM
For reference: Order #4292729753
Options

9866 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32731 Signins

1213215 Page Views

• Views: 1213215
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: Charged for a Laptop I never Received - How do I get somebody to review a complaint?

2019-05-06, 18:36 PM

Hello DMTP, welcome to the Community,

I'm sorry you've had the experience you have had and am not sure if what I am about to write is going to upset you more or not; it is what has happened as far as I can tell and I'll try to keep it as short as possible but the absolute shortest version is that your refund is definitely being processed.

Lenovo does not charge until the system actually ships; the payment seen and referred to by call representatives was always the credit hold, not the actual charge which perhaps explains why you couldn't find it.

Your request for cancellation was received and expedited for the reasons given by the representative and acknowledged by email to you but overlapped with the manufacturing and shipping process which, already started, could then not be cancelled.

The the shipment was diverted to NC but it is not possible to stop the actual charge made immediately after shipping; it is an automated process.

The shipment was received in NC and order has entered into the refund process and has already been authorized and should take 7-10 working days to process and reach your Amazon account.

I think this was a combination of coincidence and perhaps bad timing which we need to look at more closely to improve processes, again, sorry that this happened and please reach out to me if you haven't received your refund within 2 weeks.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

8 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-05-06, 20:32 PM

Andy,

I appreciate your response on this and your time and attention.  However, your explantion for the timing of the charge as "immediately after shipping" does not match the facts.  The package shipped on April 28, 2019.  I was not charged on April 28, 2019.  I was also not charged until the next business day which would be April 30, 2019.  Thus, I was not charged on the date of shipping.  In reality, I was charged on May 2, 2019.  May 2, 2019 was the date of arrival of the laptop at Lenovo's NC location. 

I have a copy of the Proof of Delivery by UPS (please reference the tracking number on the order to see this via the UPS website).  It was delivered on May 2, 2019 at 9:46AM to Whitsett, NC, US.  "Myres" received it at that location. 

Amazon has confirmed that Lenovo charged my credit card at 10:09:58 AM PDT on 5/2/2019.  I have an email to this effect which I received on May 2, 2019 after Lenovo posted the charge to my credit card.  I apprears that a mere 15-20 minutes after receiving the laptop Lenovo charged my credit card assuming that both times are displayed in PDT.  If that's the case it would be quite the coincidence.  I suspect that Lenovo scheduled it to be billed upon arrival, not shipping.  

My credit card was not charged until after Lenovo recieved the laptop at the North Carolina warehouse according to my bank which lists the date of charge as May 2, 2019 and only showed after delivery had been made.  I'm sure you can understand how I would see this as not a unfortunate coincidence due to the shipping, manufacturing and cancellation timing.  

Thus, and with respect, there was no charge "immediately after shipping." If this was an issue due to an automated system then there is an issue in the system that needs to be addressed.  Again, with respect, Lenovo should not charge me for a laptop that they sent to themselves. 

7-10 days is a long time to have a $2000 bill on my credit card that should not appear there.  Furthermore, Lenovo was aware that they had the laptop at the time the charges were "pending" but not posted.  Why was no action taken to withdraw the pending charges?  Clealry, there had been a prior pending charge that was never followed through on and it expired. 

In the end, I have been forced to dispute the charges so that I do not have to pay the bill as my billing period will come up shortly.  I have spend hours of my time on the phone with customer service who have no apparent communication or knowledge as to the billing and shipping process.  I cannot tell you how distressing that is as a person who would have made a long term customer had I at least been told the truth throughout the process.  

Again, I appreciate your time and attention.  

DMTP

Options

8 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-05-06, 20:35 PM

I would also note that according to Amazon and the bank, the credit hold that you refer to never posted so it had fallen off my account.  Thus, a new hold had to be initiated on 5/2/2019 on my credit card.  This likewise cannot be attributed to the hold that had long since expired.  

Options

8 Posts

05-04-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-05-06, 21:10 PM

I had another reply that I had posted.  Is there a reason why it got deleted? 

Options

8698 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77519 Signins

2209790 Page Views

• Views: 2209790
  • Message 7 of 8

2019-05-06, 21:59 PM

wrote:

I had another reply that I had posted.  Is there a reason why it got deleted? 

It was in the automated spam trap. I've restored it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

9866 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32731 Signins

1213215 Page Views

• Views: 1213215
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-05-07, 17:43 PM

Hello,

I've been in touch with the relevant department and have received feedback to the following effect; the order was placed using Amazon Pay and your account was authorized on 3.19 at 12:39 (I'm guessing EDT here for time zone). Amazon were informed when the item shipped on 4.28.19.

Lenovo has not directly received any funds from you nor charged anything to your account and has no control over when Amazon charges their customers using Amazon Pay. As the item was returned to the NC center a full refund has already been issued to Amazon.

I took a look into how Amazon Pay works and think the following may explain things better than I could.

https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/201754640

https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/201754640#what_is

https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/201754640#info_shared

https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/201754640#find_payment

https://www.cpcstrategy.com/blog/2018/12/amazon-pay/

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms