cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeadHeadP71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 454
Message 1 of 2

Current/Future ThinkPads with Display Port Audio?

Hi, I am the owner of a W500 4062-4JU and I absolutely love this laptop.  Before this I owned an IBM R52 that was also a wonderful machine (and is still fully functional today).  This W500 has exceeded my expectations in every way except for one small detail. 

I was unaware at the time of purchase that the display port was incapable of transmitting digital audio due to a chipset limitation.  Really not a big deal, but still somewhat disappointing.  I know this topic has been discussed ad-nauseam in other threads, with some rather nasty posts and disgruntled owners.  I am not one of these people, so please let's keep this discussion civilized, there's no need to complain about something that is done and over with.  The display port doesn't do audio, oh well.

So, my question is specifically what current gen Lenovo ThinkPads have the ability to transmit digital audio through the display port with or without an HDMI converter?  I have read that the 410S has this feature, but I've also seen people saying this is untrue.  So what ThinkPads have this capability, which ones do not, and if it's not too much to ask will future generation ThinkPads all have this, or will it be based on the particular system?  I just want to know because I will be buying another ThinkPad in the next 6-8 months and want to make sure that audio will be available.

Thank you for your time.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 444
Message 2 of 2

Re: Current/Future ThinkPads with Display Port Audio?

T410, T510, W510, X201 (i haven't personally tried the x201 audio over displayport) and T410s.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors