Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

58 Posts

05-31-2008

San Francisco

144 Signins

1060 Page Views

• Views: 1060
  • Message 11 of 17

Re: Dealing with Warranty Service Center

2009-03-07, 23:05 PM

Hi Crlamb, 

Can you discribe what kind of lock up you were experience? did u mean system hang? did you try to turn off the activity protection for the hard dirve, to see if the problem still exist? I more feel like its the problem with the hard drive( JUST IMHO).

I think its not nicessary to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit, I believe Lenovo can figure out the entire problem. They can swab the mobo, or harddrive to see if it still happens. If its not the problem on harddrive, they can replace an mobo. 

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Views: 1199
  • Message 12 of 17

2009-03-09, 14:10 PM

It's not a problem with the hard drive, because at least supposedly they replaced it, and it still does it. It's not related to the active protection system: I uninstalled it and it still locked up.

What's absolutely unbelievable is that it happened the moment I took it out of the box (literally: took it out of the box, plugged it in, went through the welcome screens, and then picked it up and it locked up), and yet the service center had it twice, the second time for more than a week, and supposedly was never able to duplicate the problem.

The complaints guy is supposedly getting my on-site service here, although nothing has happened yet: it's supposed to be next-day, today is the next business day ,and nobody's called about it. I also spoke to "Mark Lenovo," who was very helpful and is going to open a separate complaints process should the first guy fail.

UPDATE: Spoke to the complaints person and looks like the on-site won't happen until tomorrow. I did a little testing this morning and noticed that the computer didn't lock up for quite a while, at least twenty minutes, so maybe I was a little unfair to the service techs. I wonder if it has to do with ambient temperature/humidity: it's a lot cooler and less humid today than when I first got it, and the service center is probably air conditioned and perfectly climate controlled.

Also noticed you wanted a more complete description of the problem. Basically all I can tell you is that it locks up, and whatever was on the screen is frozen there. You can't move the mouse or do anything. It requires a hard reset (holding down power until it shuts off) to get it working again. If the computer is sitting still it never locks up -- I ran it from Friday afternoon until Monday morning without a problem, just by leaving it sitting in place on a table. It appears to happen only when I pick it up with one hand, but doesn't seem to be related to shocks. You can slam your fist on the table and it won't lock up, but gently picking it up will sometimes do it. It never happens in tablet mode (it's a x61 tablet, so it can convert to tablet mode). My suspicion is that there is a short or loose connection somewhere, and that when you pick it up with one hand from one side the computer flexes slightly and the short or disconnect happens. In tablet mode the monitor locks down across the body and gives it double reinforcement, which would explain why it never happens in the tablet mode. That's my best guess, anyway -- we'll see what the tech thinks if they get one here.

Message Edited by crlamb on 03-09-2009 08:59 AM
Message Edited by crlamb on 03-09-2009 09:05 AM
Options

58 Posts

05-31-2008

San Francisco

144 Signins

1060 Page Views

• Message 13 of 17

2009-03-09, 22:35 PM

Thats tough ,crlamb.

Try to get the on-site guy to replace a mobo for you, maybe that will solve all the problems.I think there is a motion sensor in the mobo, and thats why how active protection works, right? 

I personally will request a replacment machine or upgarde to a new model  if the laptop has been fixed many times, and still doesnt work.  But, I like regular 12" screen rather than wide screen.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 14 of 17

2009-03-10, 20:04 PM

On-site tech arrived, listened to the problem, opened it up, took a look, told me the motherboard was bad, and swapped it out. So far it appears to be working. Whole thing only took a few minutes.

So I guess it's resolved, although the problem is a little intermittent so I won't know for sure for a day or two.

What's puzzling is I thought they'd told me they were swapping out the motherboard on the first trip into the service center. I guess either I misunderstood and they didn't do that, or they put another bad one in (or they accidentally put in the same one they took out). It could be the phone rep I talked about it had bad information.

I am following up with "Mark Lenovo" just to complain about how the process worked out. I can't say as I was very satisfied with the service I got. The final on-site tech was a real nice guy and seemed very competent, but if he could fix it so fast in my apartment, you'd think the techs in the service center could have done the same thing during one of its two trips there.

Options

58 Posts

05-31-2008

San Francisco

144 Signins

1060 Page Views

• Message 15 of 17

2009-03-12, 16:38 PM
I had same problem form IBM EZservice too, I got my mobo replaced 3 times to fix the problem... Anyways, good to hear that ur laptop is fixed.
Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 16 of 17

2009-03-13, 0:23 AM

wrote:
I had same problem form IBM EZservice too, I got my mobo replaced 3 times to fix the problem... Anyways, good to hear that ur laptop is fixed.
Looks like it's not fixed after all. Had one lockup two days ago, one yesterday, two more tonight. They're less frequent than they were but still happening, and they seem pretty much the same as they were.
I'll talk to them tomorrow and see what's to be done. I don't see what they can do now except replace the whole thing. 

Answer
Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 17 of 17

2009-03-24, 13:57 PM

I thought I should post the conclusion just to close out the thread. They never did fix the computer, and decided to just replace it. By that point I did all my dealings through "Mark Lenovo" from the forums here rather than through the service center, as he was much more helpful. It was a long process to get a replacement computer ordered but it appeared to be on its way now.

So I guess my advice to anyone else having severe trouble with the warranty service center would be to post here in the forums and get the attention of a troubleshooter here. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms