Highlighted
JasonCor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 510
Message 1 of 6

Depot repair took 4 weeks, delivered a downgraded laptop, angry customer

Case: 407J3Y5

Model: T580

The original problem: Keys producing the wrong characters ('e' would make the screen brightness increase, 'o' would put laptop in airplane mode, etc). Confirmed to be hardware problem by booting with a Linux USB and had the same issues.

Laptop arrived at depot: January 2nd, 2019

Returned: January 28, 2019 (26 days)

Problem: I no longer have the same computer I ordered back in Sept. 2018. It was a T580 with the Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics. Now the laptop identifies itself as a P52s with only Intel 620 graphics. I've been downgraded. The keyboard at least works now.

I was also told I would have my warranty extended at least a month for the inconvenience of the long repair time. That didn't happen. 

I had to escalate my repair inquiries as it was taking so long when I was told it would be about a week.

Now after calling customer service, I was told to call Depot Repair. Upon insisting this needs to be escalated to management, I was given another 800 number to call. So the buck gets passed along.

I don't want to wait another month for another repair. This is inexcusable. If the repair had really only taken a week, then I might be forgiving of this, but a whole month??!?  What does it take to get customer satisfaction? Does Lenovo even care? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 488
Message 2 of 6

Re: Depot repair took 4 weeks, delivered a downgraded laptop, angry customer

The P52s always has an nVIDIA GPU.  You my have the wrong driver.  In general. the T580 with discrete graphics is almost identical to the P52s and I think the P52s has a slightly more powerful GPU.  The 2 models' motherboards are otherwise identical.  It is certainly possible they put in the wrong motherboard or the tech could have entered the model number incorrectly.  I would call support and see what they say.  I would also run Belarc advisor (freeware) and see what it thinks you have.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JasonCor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 478
Message 3 of 6

No.

Nvidia drivers would not even install. That's why I investigated further only to discover the only graphics available on the machine is the Intel 620. I noticed the difference in display quality right away as well. See attached verfication.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 431
Message 4 of 6

Something is CLEARLY wrong.  The form that came back with the repaired machine would have had a number to call if there was a problem with the repair.  CALL THE NUMBER

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JasonCor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 373
Message 5 of 6

Update 1-30-19: Called 800-426-7416x3 and spoke with Larry. Described the situation to him and requested either a replacement laptop of the same order or onsite repair service. Larry said that he would forward my request to Lenove HQ and I would be contact by them within 72 hours. More waiting.
I don't want to wait anymore, no customer deserves to be waiting and waiting like this and then get back a downgraded laptop.

We shall see if I get a call or not.

I will be posting updates on this thread.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 333
Message 6 of 6

Hi JasonCor,

Could you please post your new case number please? This is certainly a strange situation with the system type being different to original and a graphics chip which should be there by default not being there; I'd like to try and find out exactly what has happened here.

Thanks

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors