Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarySeah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,451
Message 1 of 17

Ethernet port broken, service issue.

I having similar problem. The ethernet port connection is very loose due to flap problem. Connection becoming intermittent. My laptop is still within warranty. Unfortunately, when I went to Lenovo service centre, I was told it was chargeable for the repair. The reason given was that this is uncommon problem for customers to send for such repair Smiley Sad It is becoming quite gray whether chargeable or not for product within warranty.

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue and moved post to its own thread.

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 8,437
Message 2 of 17

Re: Ethernet port broken, service issue.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community DarySeah !

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.  Have you tried escalating the repair status with the service center manager?

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 8,417
Message 3 of 17

DarySeah, since your issue is related to a service center I have moved your post to its own thread in the General Discussion forum.

Could you also provide the model number of your laptop and a photo or two of the damage?   That additional information will help those that may reply to your postings.   Thanks!

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

DarySeah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,397
Message 4 of 17

Laptop - Flap Open Bottom View.jpgLaptop - Flap Open Side View.jpgLaptop - Flap Close Bottom View.jpgLaptop - Flap Close Side View.jpg

Admin note; picture showing s/n removed - MTM = 80q3005fsb

DarySeah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,395
Message 5 of 17

Dear Sir/Mdm, I did not approach any service centre manager as the front desk staff was very confident that the repair is chargeable. I have attached some photos for your reference. Thanks for the quick attention and response.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 8,346
Message 6 of 17

Hi DarySeah, welcome to the Community,

Unfortunately it's very difficult to discern what might be meant as damaged from your pictures and therefore difficult to offer a solid opinion.  Is it just that the cover is loose or are any of the contacts inside bent or broken? 

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

DarySeah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,334
Message 7 of 17

Dear Sir/Mdm,

From the pictures, I definitely agree with you that it is difficult to determine the root cause. Instead, you should pose this questions to the service centre that I went to. The staff should perform some first pass analysis before brushing me away. Is it my problem now?

One thing for sure is that if I plug it and hold-on to it with my fingers, I am able to get the LAN connection. Once I let go, the connection will be lost.

Thanks

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 8,316
Message 8 of 17

@DarySeah

I can't come to a solid conclusion because I can't see anything which might be causing the issue and am not going to judge you or anyone else for that specific reason.

I've had bad cabled ethernet connections because the little snag clip on the end of the cable has become weak or broken and the cable just "wobbles" in the socket. Have you tried a different cable; is it a possibility?  A "flapping" connection, active one moment and then inactive the next, can also be down to drivers, from what you say this is unlikely but have you checked that your drivers are up-to-date?  You can run Lenovo Vantage or check your driver versions against the driver site for your system.

@DarySeah wrote:

Dear Sir/Mdm, I did not approach any service centre manager as the front desk staff was very confident that the repair is chargeable. I have attached some photos for your reference. Thanks for the quick attention and response.

Perhaps asking to speak to a manager or qualified technician is another possible route to take; they should be able to answer your questions and explain what they are seeing first hand?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

DarySeah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,292
Message 9 of 17

Dear Sir/Mdm, nothing to do with the drivers or LAN cables. When the LAN cable plugged into the LAN port of the laptop, it is very loose (can feel it with our fingers) causing the disconnection. Unlike the traditional RJ45 LAN port, it is very secured and robust.

My question: Under such situation, is this covered under warranty at no cost or not? 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 8,274
Message 10 of 17

If it's not due to a weak or broken clip on the cable all I can say it that physical damage, perhaps caused by a cable being ripped out with force, isn't covered by warranty unless you have the Accidental Damage Protection cover.  I'm not suggesting that this is what has happened but would suggest you could ask a technician to look at it and offer their opinion; I've been unable to do that from the photos.

Warranty policies can be found here;
https://support.lenovo.com/sk/en/warrantylookup/warrantypolicy

Andy

English Community Leader

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors