India

9 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 1 of 28

Failed transaction but money debited.

2012-11-21, 17:25 PM

To the lenovo team,

I've tried to buy a lenovo ideapad from the US website using an Indan international visa credit card. However, the transaction failed saying "Unable to authrorize your transaction" and money($702.54) was debited from my account. Please release the transaction so that I could get the refund or approve it so that the order is placed.

Please resolve this soon.

Thanks,

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

Options

632 Posts

09-10-2012

DC Metro area

907 Signins

14979 Page Views

• Views: 14979
  • Message 2 of 28

Re: Failed transaction but money debited.

2012-11-21, 19:07 PM

Refute the charge with your credit car company and use the email citing the failed transaction as evidence. That will give you your money back immediately and your credit card company can argue it out with Lenovo.

These charges are a violation of Lenovo's agreements with Visa and MasterCard. Enough of those complaints go in and Lenovo will be stuck only being able to accept Paypal. That WILL affect their bottom line.

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 3 of 28

2012-11-21, 19:35 PM

Ceb,

You are assuming that there was actually a charge made and you are giving advice that may honestly just not be helpful to the user.

First, we do not intent customers to make purchases cross country - buy on US site and ship elsewhere.   We clearly say that it must be a US issued credit card.  The only international cards accepted are American Express, and if shipping to a Non-US address the order might still be canceled.  (most likely would be).

Lenovo DOES NOT charge a credit card until we ship.   However, there is a Charge Hold placed on the card as part of the order process to ensure there is adequate credit available for authorization.  Charge holds typically drop off in several days.  If you check your balance, the charge hold can appear as a charge because it decriments the available balance.

Lenovo did not take funds from the customer, so advising customers to issue disputes through their CC card company is just not a helpful / constructive course of action.

In a perfect world, the process would determine when the pending order qualifies all other criteria before proceeding to the charge hold stage.  If the process could be changed in that manner, orders could be rejected without triggering the charge hold and leading the customer to being believed that their order was canceled.

Thanks

Mark

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Message 4 of 28

2012-11-21, 19:49 PM

For additional clarification, please see the shopping help page and these specific sections:

Can I have my purchase shipped overseas?

Lenovo is unable to ship orders internationally from the US due to export restrictions and policies. However, orders can be made from the Lenovo.com site for your destination country.

This means, that you need to order on the Country site in which you live.

What payment methods can I use?

Lenovo offers a variety of payment options for purchases made on Lenovo.com, including:

- VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover credit cards as well as Diners Club cards
- American Express international credit cards (must ship to US address)
- Checks and Money Orders (phone orders only)
- Paypal
- Bill Me Later®
- Amazon.com checkout (for single-item purchases)
- Business leasing at checkout (for orders exceeding $5,000.00)
- Business financing arrangements by phone (888-537-8838)
- Wire transfer (phone orders only)
- Purchase Order (PO) - Call 1-866-968-4465 and select the option for Sales. A Lenovo representative will help you decide on your purchase and provide a quote and instructions on where to send your check or money order. Once your payment is received, allow 21 business days for your order to generate.

Options

632 Posts

09-10-2012

DC Metro area

907 Signins

14979 Page Views

• Message 5 of 28

2012-11-21, 21:51 PM

Correct, but I was going by his statement that the amount had been "debited" from his account. That is far different from having a hold placed on his card.

International credit cards often work differently from the ones we are used to in the US. My Euro Master Card credit card's balance is regularly withdrawn (debited) from my Euro bank account at the end of the billing cycle.

If that is the case (i.e. actually debited from his bank account) then he should dispute that charge. If it is only a hold then he need do nothing.

Thanks for the clarification.

The payments portion of the website may need some amplifying comments as well. From your post it reads;

"What payment methods can I use?

Lenovo offers a variety of payment options for purchases made on Lenovo.com, including:

- VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover credit cards as well as Diners Club cards
- American Express international credit cards (must ship to US address)"

This does not (especially to a non-native English speaker) mean that the Visa or Mastercard (etc) must be US issued. It says that the AMEX Intl card must be shipped to a US address.

How about

What payment methods can I use?

- VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover credit cards or Diners Club cards issued by US banks
- American Express international credit cards (must ship to US address)

-All online orders must ship to US address. Please call a representative if you want to discuss a shipment outside of the USA or use the Lenovo.com website for your country.

Just something you might want to pass along. There are too many reports of cancelled tranactions with holds left on cards. The hold should be cancelled if an order is cancelled. Modern technology can do that :)

Options

4 Posts

11-21-2012

India

9 Signins

83 Page Views

• Message 6 of 28

2012-11-22, 5:24 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying. I called my credit card company and they told the payment had been approved from them. It can be cancelled only if the cancellation process is initiated from lenovo's side. I tried live chat option and talked to a customer support person. He gave me this number(credit card team) - 1800 426 3325. But I'm unable to reach this number from India. Could you please give me contact/email Id of the respective teams so that I can ask them to initiate the cancellation process.

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Message 7 of 28

2012-11-22, 7:17 AM

mohanvarma,

Ok, it sounds like your CC company approved the charge which could still be pending if the order is still pending.  I do believe that the order would likely be canceled, but I would like to help if possible.

Can you send me a private message with your order number?  I'll ask that this be reviewed and you contacted by email to either work on alternate order terms (possibly US issue CC, or International AMEX with US ship to address) or canceled as per your wishes.

Ceb,

Fair points.  The language on the site has changed over time and the current version could be made stronger / more clear.  I've not gone all the way through an order recently to capture the messages available within the order check out flow.   I will note this case and review with the sales team for further clarification on the site.

Thanks,

Mark

Options

4 Posts

11-21-2012

India

9 Signins

83 Page Views

• Message 8 of 28

2012-11-22, 9:21 AM

Hi Mark & Ceb,

Thanks for helping me. The problem is, there was no order number. Immediately after the payment, I got a prompt saying "Unable to authrorize your transaction, please choose different payment method". But the I got a text saying $702.54 was spent on my credit card. I immediately checked the "my orders" section of my lenovo profile, but no orders were there. Neither did I get an email saying the order was cancelled. I did print the page displaying above error message. 

Mark, I sent all the details about the transaction in a private message. Please help.

Thanks

Options

632 Posts

09-10-2012

DC Metro area

907 Signins

14979 Page Views

• Message 9 of 28

2012-11-22, 16:00 PM

That's very odd as it seems that there is a glitch in the ordering system. The way it is suposed to work is as follows:

Lenovo's (or anyone else's credit card system calls your credit card and says "Hi, this is Lenovo. Your customer mohanvarma wants to buy a computer for $700, will you authorize that?"

Your bank says "Sure, mohanvarma is a good guy, shall we place a hold for that amount on his card and reduce his available credit accordingly?"

Lenovo "Please do that. We'll contact you when we are ready to ship and you can turn the hold into a charge."

Given the differences with international cards, it seems like they skipped the "hold" step. That could be either a Lenovo or a bank glitch.

I'm sure that Mark will help you get it resolved though.

Options

6 Posts

01-11-2013

Romania

35 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 10 of 28

2013-01-11, 20:13 PM

Hi,

I encountered the exact same issue. Tried to make a payment with my romanian Visa credit card and got the "Unable to process transaction..." error message.

I thought first there was a problem with my work network firewall or something so i got home and tried again. 

Guess what? Now i have the amount of 2 orders stuck into my bank account and they say they cannot do anything, only Lenovo can unhold this transaction, or to wait 30 days and if lenovo does not cash the money will be returned to my account. 

Can someone from Lenovo help me unblock this transactions? 

After this i spoke with Lenovo customer service, and they offered me the possibility to make a new order and pay with a wire transfer. I'm from Romania but i want to ship the device to US to a colleague of mine that is there until 01 March.

I received the email with the wire details, and i want to make the payment but now i saw that there were people who may lost their money trying to do the same thing, and i don't want to lose my money also.

Is there someone that made the payment trough wire transfer and received the order in 2-3 weeks?

Thank you in advance!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete