Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 628
Message 1 of 14

Fed up first time Lenovo buyer

I made the switch from a Macbook to a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th generation which I received at the end of July.

Since then, having lightly used the laptop for 2 months I started receiving lots of memory related errors. Diagnostics confirmed the problem seemed to be with the RAM and it went in for a repair on the 25th September.

Over a month later I still don't have a working laptop - the authorised repair shop is still waiting for a replacement motherboard from Lenovo.

At this point I understand an updated 7th Gen has been released, I haven't had my laptop for over 5 weeks (meaning I've had to incur expenses to find a replacement as my job depends on me having a computer!) and there seems to be no reliable update on when I will get it back.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a full refund at this point and try another brand?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 587
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fed up first time Lenovo buyer

Unfortunately your Lenovo support experience has become way too common, and is why I can no longer recommend ThinkPads, which is too bad really, because ThinkPads, and their support, rocked back when IBM was in charge.      I don't know if Lenvo chooses not to purchase sufficient parts to cover warranty repairs, or their build quality is now so poor they use thee parts up faster than they can be manufactured , but waiting months to get your system back seems to have become the norm instead of the exception.  

I would certainly try to escalate and seek a refund or replacement, but dealing with Lenovo Support personnel can be a whole new level of frustration, so be prepared..

Cheers, 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 524
Message 3 of 14

I understand the frustration, but the difference in repair completion time has less to do with IBM vs. Lenovo than it does with 2000 vs. 2019.  When Thinkpads were IBM,  CPUs were socketed and windows licenses were separate.  Now, Intel only makes socketed CPUs and the windows licenses are in the BIOS.  This means that if you offer 5 CPU options with 3 different windows licenses (pro, home, none) that is 15 motherboards.  If you have discrete and integrated options, that number becomes 30.  On business machines, TPM is an option so you have 60 boards.  In a corporate environment, AMT is a necessary option so 60 becomes 120.  Parts inventory becomes a nightmare.  On machines like P50 there may be 5 video options, so the whole thing becomes a mess.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 427
Message 4 of 14

@Adam95

Hello and welcome to the Community

Sorry to read you are not having the most satisfying experience. I would like to suggest you request the authorized repairer to escalate your case to Lenovo as a result of the parts delay; they should easily be able to do so or they should request assistance from their appointed Service Delivery Manager.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Adam95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 406
Message 5 of 14

Please can you provide the telephone number of someone at Lenovo that I can discuss this with directly?

The laptop was bought in the UK directly from Lenovo through digitalriver.com.

I believe I am protected under EU consumer legislation and entitled to a full refund so would like to discuss the logisitics with Lenovo directly.

Thanks,

Adam

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 381
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

Your post suggests to me that you are not currently in Great Britain as suggested by the location given in your profile. Could you please advise in which country you are currently located and provide a case number for the repair or name of the company you have requested assistance from?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Adam95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 369
Message 7 of 14

Sent you a private message with details.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 314
Message 8 of 14

Any update on this? It seems impossible to actually get hold of someone from Lenovo to help with this problem - incredibly frustrating.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 295
Message 9 of 14

Hello,

Yes. In your private message you stated you had been informed that the parts delivery had been held up at the port. I'm sorry to say that I have also received the same information that the parts delivery is being held at import by the regulatory authorities. Colleagues in Lenovo and UPS have been and are working to find out more information and ensure the release of the delivery as soon as possible.

Andy

English Community Leader

Adam95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 289
Message 10 of 14

OK - as discussed I am travelling to Toronto next week so if there is an option to have it quickly repaired there instead that would work.

If I don't have a working laptop by the end of next week I will be asking for a full refund under UK / EU consumer protection as the product is not fit for purpose.

Thanks,

Adam

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors