Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

06-14-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1 of 8

Horrible on-site service - is this common? Expected?

2018-06-14, 23:01 PM

TL;DR: Service tech to replace noisy fan. Computer worked great. Tech went quick, used brute force, no care or quality in any way. Cheap screwdriver with wrong sized bit used, stripping screws. Reassembly was hasty, was not finished correctly. Keyboard, top plastics damaged. Internal connections were left unconnected. Plastic clips broken. Keyboard corner stands proud. The following day, computer does not boot.

Timeline:

Mo 6/11 11:30AM Submit ticket for noisy fan, I have next day service

Tu 6/14 9:00AM First contact, schedule for repair this day

Th 6/14 1:20PM Technician starts repair

Th 6/14 1:50PM Technician completes destruction

Th 6/14 4:00PM First call with Lenovo, new ticket created

Fr 6/15 8:00AM Computer power cycled, does not boot anymore, SmartBeep code

Fr 6/15 1:00PM Second call with Lenovo, told to wait until Tuesday

Current Status:

Have not received any call from Lenovo, computer completely dead

As Lenovo doesn't seem to have a way to update tickets via their site or e-mail, a way to send them this information via e-mail, and I have been on hold for an hour now (someone finally picked up from "Leno tech support in AtlanJora," and a new ticket is created working on this issue), I figure I will share my experience and ask about this publicly.

On 6/11 I submitted a service ticket for a bad fan in my ThinkPad P51. The fan would sometimes make noise. Tapping on it didn't fix it, so it seemed like a physical interference problem rather than a bearing problem. Still, a replacement would be necessary.

On 6/14 in the morning I received a call from a tech ready to come out. I received no previous correspondence. I scheduled between 1-2PM.

Tech arrived around 1:20PM, and this is where the fun begins. I watched in horror as he assaulted my machine. At point 3 I should have told him to leave - that's my fault.

1) The tech used a cheap multibit screwdriver. Not the end of the world, except he used too small of a screwdriver bit and stripped / marred every screw. It wasn't until he started cross threading or otherwise damaging a keyboard screw with excessive force that he switched to the proper sized bit. He still applied enough force to mar nearly every screw on this computer (the part to replace is fairly deep in).

2) During disassembly he was rough with the spudger, marring the plastics. Not once, not twice, but three times he forgot screws and had to flip the machine over again. This after fighting with the plastic.

3) To remove the rear LCD screw covers (sticky-backed plastic parts that cover the screws), he used a pocket knife. With the keys still attached, he went at these covers as quickly as he could, keys dangling and scraping against the LCD case. The same mangled covers were used in reassembly.

4) While disassembling the computer, a stack of parts was made. There was plenty of room to place the parts without stacking them on the table provided.

5) After the tech removed the HSF assembly, he cleaned the CPU and GPU with an isopropyl cloth. Good. Except he then blew the extra thermal pad bits around the case with his mouth (some of which later got into the keyboard connector, and who knows where else), rubbed his fingers all over the CPU and GPU, and THEN attempted to install the HSF. Bad. I had him re-wipe the CPU and GPU before installing the HSF.

6) While reinstalling, the technician shoved the spudger between the bottom keys of the keyboard to pull it into the chassis (visual: imagine sticking a wide flat blade screwdriver straight down into the bottom part of the spacebar and using it as leverage to pull downward). While doing this he marred the keys and the surrounding plastic on the keyboard. He also popped out the right arrow key and Fn key. Yet he still didn't get the numpad side seated... There was no need or reason to use the spudger here; Lenovo's instructions specify using your hands, not a spudger. I will need to reseat the keyboard before closing the lid (otherwise this key will hit the screen and scratch it).

7) While reinstalling the keyboard, the tech closed the screen on the keyboard while tightening it. He used excessive force on the screws, pushing the keyboard into the LCD. There was no pad or spacer between the keyboard and LCD.

8) During reassembly, not all clips were seated and it wasn't visually verified, so there were several raised spots upon reassembly and turnover back to me. No less than 5 clips on the top chassis were not reclipped. Most were able to push down and clip OK. However the chassis clip near the left trackpoint button is internally bent over and the corner now stands proud, providing a sharp edge against my thumb.

9) There was no test to verify all functionality before handing over. There was a basic test of touchpad and LCD operation and that was it. So the following remains untested: wifi (all channel operation), bluetooth, camera, colorimeter.

10) The tech left, then returned to plug in the internal charger port that he left disconnected. He did not tighten all bottom cover screws this time. This does not inspire confidence.

11) Maybe just nitpicking? But there were no gloves used, the tech's fingerprints are all over. Not all markets do this so I can understand if it wasn't.

In the end, I got a replaced HSF to fix the fan noise (seems to be fine now), broken internal clips on the top cover, marred screws, mangled LCD screw covers, possibly a scratched screen, a keyboard that isn't mounted correctly and is marred and scratched from the wrong tool being used, and possibly disconnected internals.

I have no problem publicly naming Worldwide Tech Services as the third party service house.

I see no point in warranty service if this is the norm. Hopefully Lenovo can send the parts so I can fix this myself, but they may required a "qualified service tech." Though I am sure I am more practically qualified than the joke they sent to mangle my machine.

Is this normal / expected? Am I expecting too much out of service? You know, care and pride in workmanship?

I have attached the bottom corner of the keyboard as an example of the workmanship. The keyboard is not seated properly, and the marring on the Del key was from shoving the spudger into there to pull the keyboard toward the front of the chassis.

Options

377 Posts

10-20-2008

United States of America

741 Signins

5558 Page Views

• Views: 5558
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Horrible on-site service - is this common? Expected?

2018-06-14, 23:41 PM

OMG -- what a nightmare you have endured.  No one should have to put up with this kind of shoddy service.  May I ask what state or country you are domiciled?  Here are my experiences:

Over the last 10 years, I've had two of the highest-end ThinkPads -- a W700 (one of the very first) and a P70 (also an early production machine), both covered by the on-site, highest grade service plans. 

During its 5 years under service contract,  the W700 required several service visits; a few due to the inability of techs to competently repair that machine the first time and Atlanta's utterly inadequate processes for pre-shipping repair parts.   This was in Massachusetts, outside of Boston, between 2010 and 2013.   Ultimately, that machine spent several months (and several trips) languishing in the depot, awaiting parts and competent repairs.  It was a disappointing experience,  The third-party firms subcontracted to perform field service were clearly substandard and the techs completely untrained.  They also scratched the housing and damaged screws, as you described.  One even managed to remove and re-insert the CPU incorrectly (I don't know how this is even possible, unless the socket is not keyed) and smoked the motherboard right in front of me and most of the rest of the electronics, including the LCD display.  This required yet another trip to the depot, where it sat for two months without any meaningful communications about status and expected return date.   Ultimately, I  was able to escalate this to Lenovo Management; after several more weeks, I was finally advised that they could not source the LCD panel and therefore would be unable to repair a machine which was still under service contract.  We began negotiating about a replacement machine when one of the more capable people in the service organization expanded her search and located the part in Canada.  The machine was finally repaired and returned to me.

BTW:  The Service Manual for the W700 explicitly states that the wafer-head screws are to be replaced with new ones at every repair.  None of the techs were aware of this or provided with screws, thermal paste, small plastic parts and other consumables when they arrived for their repairs.  These small parts kits have SKUs and are listed on Lenovo's site but I was never able to convince Atlanta to ship them along with the replacement boards they thought would be required.

The last time that machine needed service (2013, in Palm Beach, FL) for a dead fan, the tech dispatched was from IBM and appeared to be very professional.  He took one look at the W700 and decided, as he had never seen or touched one, that he should dispatch a more senior person with the requisite training to do the work -- he was good to his word and an older gentleman arrived who had worked on this model, who effected a quick, competent replacement of the failed part.  

When my P70 needed its keyboard replaced, again a tech from IBM was dispatched who was careful and clearly highly experienced.  He hadn't worked on a P70 but did know the rest of the line intimately. Thoughfully, he brought-up the service manual for reference while he performed the repair, to make certain he followed all steps properly.  This fellow advised me that Lenovo had received so many complaints about their field service that they had re-engaged with IBM to be their supplier.  This was in mid 2016, in Cleveland Ohio.

From what you described, it would appear that either Lenovo no longer uses IBM for service or they don't provide coverage in your area.  In any event, I'd complain to the highest levels of Lenovo and demand satisfaction, if necessary up to replacement of your machine.

Please keep us all apprised of how this is resolved.

Good luck!

Options

7 Posts

06-14-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-06-15, 14:33 PM

Thanks for your tale. Sounds like a miserable experience. The sort of thing that should be a one-off but maybe it isn't. I really hope it doesn't go that far for me... but I am a realist and understand it might.

Re: screws, I know Dell specifies this too. Seems common that they are not replaced though.

The service was in Las Vegas.

As a quick personal background: I have always performed my own computer and notebook repairs. While not my current line of work I have performed this type of service for the last 2 decades. That is because if there have been problems, they haven't been warrantable (tech dropping computer) or have been issues after warranty. This is my first time using a computer warranty of any kind.

The technician that called actually announced that he was with IBM on the first call. I thought good, cool - he didn't say Lenovo, so maybe they do contract with IBM in my market, and IBM has a history of doing good service. But once the tech got to reassembling the machine, after the dreadful teardown and reassembly, I thought there's no way this was an IBM tech. I asked about repairs and it came out that his company was contracted and serviced many machines. The tech had no name badge or other identifying information. I didn't actually get the company name until the end.

As for my call with Atlanta... it was interesting. I called the number provided in an e-mail to call if there were any issues with this service. Here's what resulted:

* It was very hard to understand the individual. She was talking a mile a minute with a heavy Atlanta accent. Her mic was also quiet, the hold music loud. She tried to be helpful but this wasn't a call she was expecting.

* I described how my machine was assaulted, it took her a bit to understand. After giving her the information it looks like this work order ticket is closed and a new one needs to be created. She can't attach notes or anything to the existing ticket. She can't forward this information to the tech house that mutilated my computer.

* I could have another tech come out, likely by the same company, or send the machine to depot. I need to use this machine daily, and I fear depot will just think "there's nothing wrong, it's a used computer" even though it was pristine before being jacked up. While I could set up and use a backup machine I really don't trust sending this out or being worked on by Lenovo anymore.

* I am capable of doing the needed repairs myself. But she said I called the wrong number and was in the warranty department. I read her the e-mail I was sent... Still she did create a ticket and escalated it so I am waiting to hear back. I don't think she has all the parts indicated though, maybe just the keyboard, but I asked for a top cover (my model is with colorimeter+touch), bottom cover, screw set, lcd screw covers, and keyboard.

So now I am on the start of the waiting game.

What I can say is that if a technician is dispatched, I will ask what the actual company is and not take their word for it.

Summary: I paid for an upgraded warranty. So far it's worse than worthless. This computer is 6 months old. Ultimately, if Lenovo won't send the parts or replace this computer that was mutilated by a service tech, I will need to spend additional money to source parts and service this myself.

Options

7 Posts

06-14-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-06-15, 20:05 PM

I was going to post a follow-up about what I found after I properly reseated the keyboard (without excessive use of force): a broken clip, reseating the bent clip near the left trackpoint button, thermal paste bits and paste in the keyboard connector, issues with ribbon routing.

But why post about that when I can say that the computer stopped booting with SmartBeeps before doing that?

When the tech tightened the HSF he did not do this properly - he tightened one screw on the corner very tight first. So right now I suspect he may have cracked or broken the CPU. Because now, my machine does not boot, I get the stupid SmartBeep thing that I have no way of reading to know what the error is (needs Android which I don't have and I guess it doesn't work with new Android devices anyway). Reseating RAM doesn't fix it.

I have a paperweight P51, and I am now on hold (I think - there has been no sound for 15 minutes) with Lenovo.

I don't want this Lenovo experience anymore. I do not want this computer anymore.

By the way - just off the phone with Lenovo, I should expect a call by Tuesday (6/19). This case was opened on 6/11 and the damage was performed on 6/14. I have paid for next day on-site service.

Options

12 Posts

12-20-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-06-16, 21:26 PM

I believe incompetent on site repaire is veryy common.  I have my P71 with broken USB. Tech was dispatched next day, contacted me, and then refused to work on the machine because my apatment was too small. He went away annd never heard from them again.  I waited one month, then open another ticket. This time it took like 4 days for lenovo to respond.  Tech shows up for repaire, but he only got motherboard, and no usb replacement. He said, "They don't know USB doesn't come with  MB, I don't  think this will fix it." But he went on and replaced my motherboard, in processs lost at least 5 screwes, OS unbootable, keybord not properly seated and right side of computer had 2 mm gaps because he did not assemble the lcd housing correctly.  I gave up and waited another month then one night when I am pissed off, I contacted lenovo. They said that all the parts needed are unavailable and it will take one one month and multiple onsite visit to repaire my computer.  PS when the first tech dissapeared, lenovo in atlanta said, "I am in atlanta, and there is no way for me to make IBM in your town to send tech. I have no way to contact supervisor. You just have to wait." So I waited and he never returned.

My P71 is broken by the tech and it is lmpinng along and it cannot do the work I need to do because of all the parts keeps breaking one after another.  I don't think that Lenovo no  longer creates quality computer. You are better off go to walmart and buy 3000  laptop. What a waste of money.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Options

7 Posts

06-14-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-06-18, 14:22 PM

Oh, there's an edit limitation on this forum? Well that's annoying. The Lenovo frustration continues.

ABC17, re: your case, I have seen that commonly amongst larger manufacturers - they typically don't know their own product too well when it comes to warranty and repair. In this case the part to be replaced was known. In both of our cases we do not have a functioning computer at the end of it.

I was going to edit the initial post to say I was able to get the SmartBeep thing decoded thanks to a friend with an Android phone; the code is 0282, which is "Memory module error." Lenovo Atlanta didn't seem to have the capability to get this code over the phone (with "codes over the phone" specifically advertised about SmartBeep in their YouTube video on the subject) and with the code being machine-recognizable instead of human-recognizable, and the iOS app not having the capability to get this code, I had to wait until today to get it.

I have already troubleshot the memory modules; it is not the memory modules. The issue is going to be with the CPU or some other problem arising from the destructive repair.

Options

7 Posts

06-14-2018

United States of America

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2018-06-20, 14:34 PM

Update: Received call from Lenovo. The call did not happen by Tuesday as promised. Instead my phone woke me up before 5:30AM  to a call from Lenovo Atlanta. (Lenovo, please check the time zones of the people you call.)

The short of it: Lenovo wants my machine sent out to them. I have been quoted 7 business days without the machine. Lenovo has not met any deadlines so far (original warranty request, call back time) so I must assume I would be without it longer. I am being asked to have my machine repaired without seeing it now. Phone operator said Depot "would be able to" do parts of the repair, but did not say that they "will" or give any assurances that my concerns would warrant any weight.

In the end this has been elevated. I am now waiting on a call, for which I received a threat: if I do not accept the call when they call, this will result in the ticket being closed and I will need to start over. I have been told to wait 24 hours, and Lenovo seems to call as early as 5AM.

My computer is still dead.

I am unable to work and I am losing business as a result of the destructive repair.

I have paid for next business day warranty.

Options

377 Posts

10-20-2008

United States of America

741 Signins

5558 Page Views

• Views: 5558
  • Message 8 of 8

2018-12-06, 14:40 PM

Haven't heard further on your tale of woe -- what's the latest?  Did Lenovo book you on a United flight to Atlanta to get your machine back and then have you dragged-off the plane by airport security (You're right -- large companies are often clueless about how they handle their customers legitimate issues).

Please keep us updated.  I'm about to buy another $4,000,00 machine from Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms