Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 1 of 1

How to distinguish ThinkPad types from BIOS IDs?

2010-11-24, 15:55 PM

Hi all,

I know that for certain ThinkPad's (R400, T400, T500, W500, W510, etc.) Lenovo releases two different types of BIOS packages depending on their BIOS IDs.

Now for the R400, T400 models it is quite easy to determine the particular ThinkPad type from the released BIOS ID's. Since on their BIOS Update page Lenovo clearly has indicated a description of which BIOS ID's belong to which types;

IEEE 1394 types  -->  BIOS ID 7Uxxxxxx-based computer

non-IEEE 1394 types  -->  BIOS ID 7Vxxxxxx-based computer

Unfortunately this is not the case for all other model families with two different BIOS packages (e.g. W510). Is it for example discrete/non-discrete graphics or iAMT/non-iAMT or vPro/non-vPro or the same IEEE1394/non-IEEE1394 feature that determines their BIOS IDs?

Does anyone know what physical feature determines the BIOS ID? Or perhaps even better someone has a link to a document where the Lenovo xxxx-xxx product model & type numbers are coupled with their corresponding BIOS IDs. How is it possible that this page is not up to date with the latest models?

This is so important to know, for recovering from POST/BIOS update failures following the Boot-Block procedure. Since there's no way to determine the BIOS ID for such machines anymore making it very risky to flash the correct FLASHABL.ROM!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms