Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

03-08-2015

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

19 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 1 of 2

How to get my Z710 IdeaPad repaired through the warranty

2015-03-31, 0:08 AM

There is an issue with my memory (RAM) and I called customer support about it. I ran Lenovo's Solution Center Check up scan and it reported that there are issues with my RAM. Customer support told me to just revert back to factory settings and if the problems persists to bring it to a service center. This laptop has a warranty until the end of August 2015.

My questions are:

1.) Do I have to restore it to factory default in order to be eligible to bring it in for repairs? I really do not feel like having to reinstall all of my programs. I can back up some files onto an external drive but, I would much rather avoid the hassle. Also, if I do not restore to factory default, will the technicians at the service center just end up doing it anyway?

2.) How in the world do I even go about finding a service center and scheduling to bring it in? Lenovo's website is pretty confusing and doesn't really explain how to do that. Neither did the customer service.

Answer
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541

Re: How to get my Z710 IdeaPad repaired through the warranty

2015-03-31, 14:27 PM

Sorry to hear of the problems in obtaining service.  First, I would avoid the doing the recovery until I spoke to the actual service center.  Not sure what your problem with the memory is, but have you tried reseating the memory modules ?  In other words remove them and then reinsert them to insure they are making good contact in their sockets. It doesn't hurt to do this a couple of times.  Reseating the modules would have been a better suggestion offer to you since they are a customer servicable part.  Page #37 of your model's User Guide will explain how to remove the memory modules.  Here is a link to that guide....

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/z710_ug_en.pdf

As far as the Service Center doing a restore anyways, can't guarantee it won't be done.  Best to back up.  Although I haven't experienced it, I've seen folks posting their experience either way.  Some had the restoration done and other did not.

As for finding a Service Center, use the link I have posted below in locating an authorized service facility.  In checking your Zip Code I found 2 authorized repair facilities in a 30 mile radius of your town.  Driving it in and dropping it off maybe the best way to personally convey the message.... don't restore the hard drive.  If you call ahead they maybe able to schedule you an appointment and test the memory while you wait.  Best check with them first.

http://bplocator.lenovo.com/

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: How to get my Z710 IdeaPad repaired through the warranty

2015-03-31, 14:27 PM

Sorry to hear of the problems in obtaining service.  First, I would avoid the doing the recovery until I spoke to the actual service center.  Not sure what your problem with the memory is, but have you tried reseating the memory modules ?  In other words remove them and then reinsert them to insure they are making good contact in their sockets. It doesn't hurt to do this a couple of times.  Reseating the modules would have been a better suggestion offer to you since they are a customer servicable part.  Page #37 of your model's User Guide will explain how to remove the memory modules.  Here is a link to that guide....

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/z710_ug_en.pdf

As far as the Service Center doing a restore anyways, can't guarantee it won't be done.  Best to back up.  Although I haven't experienced it, I've seen folks posting their experience either way.  Some had the restoration done and other did not.

As for finding a Service Center, use the link I have posted below in locating an authorized service facility.  In checking your Zip Code I found 2 authorized repair facilities in a 30 mile radius of your town.  Driving it in and dropping it off maybe the best way to personally convey the message.... don't restore the hard drive.  If you call ahead they maybe able to schedule you an appointment and test the memory while you wait.  Best check with them first.

http://bplocator.lenovo.com/

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms