cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,395
Message 11 of 27

Re: How to track stolen laptops with Serial Number?

I don't know what model laptop you have, but there is usually either software installed, or it is part of the BIOS. As far as I know there is no list of serial numbers anywhere that you can add your serial number to. The only thing you can do after the fact is to report it to your local police department. If you are dealing with campus police, I would also report it to the real police department where the campus is located. But once your laptop is stolen, there is no way to activate the tracking options. The reason is you do it before it gets stolen is so that your system is registered with the tracking service. Think of it as storing a fingerprint. Once that is done, then they can find it after it is stolen. But if you did not do that it would be like asking the police to fingerprint a missing person. Can't be done. Sorry.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
PaulVV
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,389
Message 12 of 27

Ok thanks I have reported already and supplied just trying to cover it anyplace could possibly show up just read a post talking about a Lenovo DB where can flagg DB in case they ever come back to them for repair or anything will show as stolen or lost.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,377
Message 13 of 27

I will check, but I doubt that anyone would ever send in stolen property to get it fixed. There is a large fine and prison time attached just by sending it across state lines or out of the country. I will let you know what I find.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
PaulVV
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,360
Message 14 of 27

Thanks I saw it mentions in one of the post on the forumns but didn't say how to get into the Lenovo DB I plan on calling them this AM see if they can assist will update if I find any info on my side to be shared.. thanks...

dragonluvher
What's DOS?
Views: 17,958
Message 15 of 27

The exact same thing just happened to me. I have made some progress, but not much. Apparently there is a way to track your device through the Microsoft website, IF you registered your Lenovo through Windows 10 using your hotmail/msn/microsft email account. Try going to https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ and it will list any device you have registered using your hotmail account. There may be a link provided called "Find my device". I assume it doesn't work for every device, but that is currently what I am using to locate mine. Hope it works out.

emathias
Paper Tape
Views: 13,974
Message 16 of 27

Many thieves will sell the items they stole. If the buyer of the stolen item believed that the item they bought was legit and the warranty was transferrable (most Lenovo ones are) they might send it in if it were a Depot warranty. For on-site repairs, the Lenovo tech would have no legal authority to confiscate the computer, he could only report it to the police. I'm not even sure the depot would have legal authority to confiscate it because they only know that the original owner reported it stolen, they don't know they the report is true and may not know whether it was recovered. 

Why can't the tech confiscate it? Because there is no proof that it was stolen - it's entirely possible that the original owner reported it stolen, then sold it and committed insurance fraud in which case the buyer is the legal owner. I don't believe even the insurance company would have a claim them, although they might.

At any rate, it's hard to recover a stolen laptop once it's resold for a lot of reasons.

I had a $3,000 laptop stolen about 20 years ago and it was never recovered. Fortunately I had insurance, but even knowing who stole it, the police never recovered it.

immortal2
What's DOS?
Views: 10,822
Message 17 of 27

My laptop lenovo g50-70 was stolen day before yesterday....how can i take help from lenovo , so that if anyone brings my laptop to the service center , they will immediately inform me?

R_Miller
Punch Card
Views: 10,773
Message 18 of 27

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Even if it's sent to a Lenovo repair center and they know it's reported as stolen, the very most they can do is report it to their supervisor and possibly call the police to get it sorted out. They cannot confiscate the laptop and send it back to you.

Your best bet, if you bothered to activate lojack, is to use that service. Your next bet, if you kept windows on the laptop, is to use Microsoft's 'Find my Device' feature. If you didn't bother to set up an email account with their live service, then you have no choice but to report it to the police and hope that your case will be one of the rare cases that are solved.
Luc_Jacobs1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,086
Message 19 of 27

Hello,
My stolen E560 was declared to the police and I have the S/N. Where can I just inform Lenovo support to status this computer stolen?
I am not planning to find it back anyway...
delie106
Paper Tape
Views: 6,594
Message 20 of 27

can we lock this laptop?

I mean when the theif (or if the settings is auto-update for driver set on) update any driver from Lenovo drivers, need to lock the laptop

Is it possible?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors