cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 436
Message 1 of 10

I bought a souped-up X1 C 4G and got downgraded sneakily by lenovo...

I bought a X1 Carbon Gen 4 witl all the bells and whistles with 16gb of RAM and the best CPU at that time in 2016 for about $4k+. Last year during the I had an issue with the screen AND the laptop being unable to charge, the support arrived the next business day to change the MOBO and screen. 

The first time, they replaced it with a 8gb motherboard, I caught it. The technician promised to order the correct board. The second time they came, they replaced the motherboard again and my bad, I didn't check. I didn't think they would pull the same trick twice.

They did. Not only did they downgraded my ram from 16gb to 8gb, they changed it to a slower processor. I didn't catch the change, and thought the slowness was just the natural aging of computers. 

10 months later, another major issue cropped up, and the service staff came and changed a new keyboard. This time things got worse. My WWAN card disappeared together with my microSD card, and the keyboard got from bad to worse.

Upon some digging, the call staff found out that they had 

1) tagged the wrong customer information to my account

2) fixed the wrong parts for a different model (the motherboard and the keyboard) on my laptop  

3) that part difference probably caused the problem with my bottom cover where it actually doesn't screw shut properly anymore.

After wasting 1 week, the call staff came back sounding very magnanimous, that they will replace (for free) my motherboard and the keyboard, and possibly my bottom cover if they can't screw it in properly. The closest apology they gave was sorry, the system had no stock of your configuration and hence gave you an inferior replacement. It's not really our fault. The reason they replaced my laptop with inferior and wrong parts was because their system PERMENANTLY downgraded my laptop configurations to a low end system and hence from that point in warranty onwards I was only be getting support for the lower end machine. 

**bleep**. Why the need to sound high and mighty, that no fault lies with Lenovo? Do I need to feel glad that they would fixed the problem for me?

Seeking info from more experience people, what else should I ask the service center staff to replace, that could have and may have been damaged by problem? 

At the same time, everyone should take note, since the Lenovo staff seems to indicate to me that a placement with lower end parts, the mix up of customer information is normal and that the most they can do is fix you back up to what you should have gotten. Suggest you check against the orginal specs you bought at after every repair, since they won't warn you even if they downgrade you.

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 358
Message 2 of 10

Re: I bought a souped-up X1 C 4G and got downgraded sneakily by lenovo...

It happened to me.

They sent somebody else's laptop to me after service. I found it, was thinking my problem was just a minor issue, why they replaced my motherboard? they have too much money to burn?

Then I realized that it was somebody else's machine, called them immediately, luckly my laptop was on the way to the other guy. It was the right timing to call Fedex to send it back.

By the way, this is nothing to do with Lenovo. All repair works are done by Flextronics:

https://flex.com/

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 308
Message 3 of 10

Hello MRCTY, welcome to the Community,

I'm sorry you have had what is a clearly a poor experience with support; what you report certainly should not happen and definitely not the level of service I would like to experience. I would like to suggest you open a complaint. You can do this through the normal call center; after quoting your existing and previous case numbers request the representative to open a complaint / escalate on your behalf. They will then be able to explain any further steps in the process. If you run into difficulties with this please reach out to me.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 293
Message 4 of 10

Thanks. 

Just an update, the support came and changed everything below the monitor (WWAN card, motherboard, keyboard, bottom casing minus the touchpad, SSD, speaker/battery). Hence, there wasn't anything to worry about, where certain components might have been broken by wrong parts.

Now I've the correct processor and amount of ram back.

There's only this new problem where they replaced my keyboard with a non-us keyboard. I've provided feedback via email already, but this is frustrating. 

MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 256
Message 5 of 10

To laugh or to cry:
The newly replaced motherboard has faulty RAM/Memory. Both the OS and Lenovo Solution Center tells me so.

@Andy_Lenovo
Seriously, the first incident may have been an accident if we close both eyes to the facts.
I wouldn't know how to classify the mistake of bring the wrong keyboard to fix the earlier wrongly provided parts.
Now this thing about faulty memory on the replaced motherboard, what am I supposed to concluded?

Lenovo is out to punish me for using Lenovo? Make me glad that I paid for extended Next Business Day onsite warranty? Or this is the level of service that everyone should expect?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 247
Message 6 of 10

@MRCTY

And there is an unwritten law that says when things go wrong they go terribly wrong. No, nobody should have to expect that level of bad service / luck whatever you would like to call it. The unfortunate part with an on-site service is that the technician has just one part of the type which needs to be exchanged with them and zero opportunity to correct things when on site; in depot they have more time resources when carrying out repairs.

My suggestion stands to open a complaint; a case manager will review the history and then contact you to discuss potential resolutions and again should you run into difficulties with raising the complaint please reach out to me.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 193
Message 7 of 10

I have raised a complaint, the onsite came down to take a look and to replace the keyboard. 

He came to do a memory test and told me exactly what I told the support, that the system memory test failed. He was quite nice, and told me that he would order the parts now that he validated that the system memory failed. Really? I even included screenshots, and reports from the lenovo software. It seems like they are calling me a liar.

And yes, that unwritten law seems to plague Lenovo's support

HE BROKE MY 64GB MICROSD CARD WHILE REPLACING THE LAPTOP! 

He could have taken it out normally, but no, he forgot to take it out. only halfway while disassembling, he saw it blocking the removal, and pulled it out with some tool. He broke the card while doing it. He didn't just break the plastic, HE BROKE THE MEMORY CHIP! Can he be more negligient? 

He knew he did something wrong, so he use a sharp object to poke my card into the microSD card slot in hope that it can read. Nope, the card cannot be detected at all. All data lost!

That was 64GB of data, part of which contains very valuable data for which I use to make a living on. Much of it is temporary storage, and it is the ONLY copy I have. The financial losses that I'm going to suffer is.....

I have replied the email to the original complaint. 

I'm just providing an update here. I don't know how they plan to handle the data recovery, or compensation. I know that I've reached out to my lawyer to seek legal advice already. 

You have NO idea how upset I am right now. 

(1) My laptop is still broken.

(2) The engineer just broke part of my ricebowl. I have lots of other data that I backed up onto the SD card that I cannot remember offhand what they are, and they're gone. 

(3) Advanced data recovery is going to cost 5 digits and above, and at this moment I'm not even sure it's possible given the physical breakage of the memory chip (and the fact that the engineer was using a sharp tool to poke at the broken parts)

(4) I'm down a 64GB microSD card, but I don't think that's a major problem.

MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 191
Message 8 of 10

OK the onsite engineer just came back. He bought a 64gb MicroSD card back.

Within minutes, His boss just called, and apologised, and offered a 1TB harddisk as compensation, or a headphone. He was so proud to offer me a choice of either one.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Highlighted
MRCTY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 93
Message 9 of 10

This would be the nth repair arising from the same issue. The new motherboard and the new battery still has problems. Now the battery doesn't charge. 

@

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 70
Message 10 of 10

Hello @MRCTY

The route to go would be via a complaint as previously suggested; a case manager would be assigned who would then review the complete history and then be in a position to assist you reach a resolution.

Andy

English Community Leader

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors