cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dr_st
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,430
Message 11 of 80

Re: Island 6-row keyboards coming to Thinkpads - your opinions?

Thank you for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming. Smiley Happy

I edited the thread title to change "chiclet" to "island", as it was pointed out to me that technically the term "chiclet" refers to the mechanism of the keys, not the isolation layout, and as far as we know, the mechanism in the new keyboards stays the traditional scissor mechanism as in past Thinkpad keyboards.

Moskito
Punch Card
Views: 4,424
Message 12 of 80

Definitively (5) and I posted it elsewhere before, it's not because of the island keys (which I'll judge as soon as I get my hands on one of the new T models), but only because of the changed keyboard layout.

This layout makes changing keyboards a hassle, removes the Forward/Backward keys and from my point of view is unacceptable!

Regards, Moskito

nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 4,393
Message 13 of 80

I vote 5.

I work in IT, I also use keyboard shortcuts and navigate many things by keyboard that others do with a mouse. 

Chicklet keyboard is fine, the Lenovo chicklet feel is good

BUT

7 rows to 6 rows is completely unacceptable.  I HATE keyboard redesigns, to the point that I can't stand most new desktop keyboards because they've decided to change the HOME/END/Ins/Del/PgUp/PgDn keys into 2 column 3 row setups vs. the traditional 3 column 2 row setups.   I don't ever look at my keyboard when I type, purely type by feel, and this kind of stuff messes me up.    The 7th row at the top was perfect, and allowed keeping a traditional feel to a laptop form factor keyboard!   I also like the Page back / Page forward buttons by my arrow keys!

No menu key?  Again, I use keyboard commands for everything I can, no menu key with a Print Screen button in it's place? Who's idiot idea was this???  

There is NO reason they could not have kept the 7 row layout, the laptop form factor is not changed, they just spread out the upper plastic portion with the power button...   If they would have modified to Chicklet with the same key layout, I would have been fine with it, but this is a deal breaker.   I also loved the last change with the large esc and del keys, ... Making them wide but not tall does not replace what was the best redesign ever.

Edited: Almost forgot about the spacing between the F keys!  It's very helpful to have this when you type by feel!  (I use my F keys alot more than most people probably due due to AS/400 mainframe work.

My ThinkPads:

T61- Love it, kids currently abuse it every day.

T410 - sold

T510 - Love it, hope it last me a long time due to changes in the T series line.

Edge 15 - Piece of Crap that died at just over 1 year old, HATED the keyboard layout.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 4,389
Message 14 of 80

As pointed out in another forum, this blog post from Lenovo is interesting at the end where they say they will continue the 7 row layout... Guess that didnt last long.

http://blog.lenovo.com/design/differentiation-of-isolation

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
Guru
Views: 4,337
Message 15 of 80

(4) Bad - I dislike it

One of the reasons I purchase ThinkPads is because I feel like I know what I am going to get. If the "isolation" keyboard feels as good as they say it does, I think I can live with it. I'm skeptical, because every other isolation / island / chicklet keyboard I've typed on felt horrible. The change to 6 row design is not something that I look forward to learning. The old keyboard had keys in places that made sense and mirrored normal full size keyboards. In fact, one of the advantages of a ThinkPad is that it was supposed to be like typing on a normal keyboard. It isn't like a normal keyboard if keys aren't present or are in the wrong place. 

Where is the blue enter key and the subtle blue dots on the middle button? I always liked that the enter key was blue and the middle button had colored dots. It helped to bring the blue from the FN key and FN functions more in line with the rest of the machine.

Where are the symbols on the keys? It doesn't have the arrow on the backspace, the arrow with the A inside for caps lock, etc. I know that these things might make it look "busy" but I liked that. When you look at a T420 keyboard it says screams, "I was made to do many things and get work done." The new keyboard ends up devoid of personality and looks like it is trying to be like Apple. If I wanted an Apple, I would have purchased one. I want my machine to stand out and have personality. 

Where is the built-in numberpad? I use it on occasion and like knowing it is present.

Maybe by the time I'm ready to retire this T420 we'll have 16:10 screens, IPS screens with high pixel densities, or something that I'll be able to convince myself is an upgrade. I think if I tried to get the primary user of the T400 to change to a T430 she would be irate at going to 16:9 and having a different keyboard design.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Guru
Views: 4,207
Message 16 of 80

I'll go for a 4.

While the keys individually aren't bad with my experience with a X100e, the layout will get to be a bit annoying. I do prefer having extra keys for binds, as well.

It looks awkward on a ThinkPad too. Doesn't jive visually; too many rounded edges.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Rocknrolla
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,116
Message 17 of 80

For those of you out there for whom it just "has to be seven rows!" you can relax. Lenovo will continue to provide you with a 7 row keyboard layout, even if it is an "endangered species".  - I like this phrase. I am wondering if they remember the word they're saying.

Guru
Views: 4,081
Message 18 of 80

I always read the "endangered species" phrase as indicating that the 7 row keyboard could go extinct. That blog posting was over two years ago, so I guess decisions were made to kill it off.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 4,079
Message 19 of 80

And in the process of removing a row of keys, they managed to create what has got to be one of the most moronic keyboard designs I've ever seen.   The placement of "Print Screen" still just amazes me... Removal of the menu key? Some of us still use that.  Whatever.   They should have run with both keyboards on some of the lines such as the T series, made it an option... this would have also let them guage what people prefer as well.   I would have been fine with a 7 row island style keyboard too.

dr_st
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,021
Message 20 of 80

Results so far (including my own vote which is a '5'):

1 - Very Good:    1 (8%)

2 - Good:         0 (0%)

3 - Neutral:      0 (0%)

4 - Bad:          2 (17%)

5 - Very Bad:     8 (67%)

6 - Wait and see: 1 (8%)

Even more lopsided than on the Thinkpads forum, but unfortunately not many people voted... Smiley Sad

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors