cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
namellac
Paper Tape
Views: 2,752
Message 51 of 80

Re: Island 6-row keyboards coming to Thinkpads - your opinions?

I decided NOT to buy a T530, and opted for a factory refurbish T520. It doesn't have the processor I wanted, but it's better than having a lame keyboard. Here's to hoping that the engineers at Lenovo will improve BACK to the classic style keyboard.

If you're wanting to see what a real keyboard feels like, order a Endura Pro from pckeyboard.com:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/cat...

It's the original IBM Bucky Spring Keyboard with a trackpoint. If you don't like the noise, order one of their rubber dome keyboards. Still better than a friggin' chiclet keyboard any day.

joy5484vb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,745
Message 52 of 80

There are certain things you are not supposed to mess with. The keyboard is one of the identity of a Thinkpad. The Look and feel is extremely important to us, ESPECIALLY the T series users.   Up until this time, I was very happy, that Lenovo kept the original IBM design guidelines intact.  But it is very sad, that they made such a radical bad change. I am very very  disappointed. Please bring back the original keyboard.  As a Thinkpad user, we do not even request any change from the exterior. Keep everything as it was. Just keep updating the performance, we will be happy.   It is like a Porsche 911, After 40 years, still there is no big change in the form. but people still like it. Please LENOVO.... BE SENSITIVE....

I would give 5

greybox
Serial Port
Views: 2,755
Message 53 of 80

I don't mind the new keyboard if lenovo swaps FN and CTRL button position.

I know there is BIOS setting to swap the keys function, but I prefer CTRL at the left of FN physically. Alternatively, make the button same size so I can swap them physically.

DougChandler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,750
Message 54 of 80

I've been using this keyboard for a couple of months now and when typing alpha-numeric it is ok, but I do mis-type more on this keyboard than the old style. But every time I still need to type a non-alpha-numeric key, I have to look at the keyboard to see where it is on the keyboard. It really is not good messing with the layout, it is costing me extra time when I would not normally look at the keyboard and it all adds up.

Getting rid of the context menu key, the page forward and page back keys, and the lack of gap between the function keys are the biggest time wasters. I use many different keyboards as I have access to lots of computers for work and personal reasons and this is the one that irritates the most. I now have a Print Screen button which I use maybe once a week in place of a Context Menu button which I used many times an hour!

I'm sorry but this is not progress.

Why don't Lenovo admit their mistake and release a standard keyboard layout option?

Still a 5 if I had to buy one myself, but forced to use it by my company Smiley Sad

Moderator comment: Post edited - uncivil comment removed.

chachaman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,690
Message 55 of 80

I bought a laptop W530 with this new type of keyboard.

IT IS A DISASTER !      ( VOTE 5)

If Lenovo doesn't offer the old keyboard again, they have just sold me their last computer. I will stop buying Thinkpads and Think Stations for my company.

I don't understand that you would mess with the best keyboard in the industry ????

Ecstasy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,469
Message 56 of 80

I just realized there's no Context menu on the bottom right (where the new PrntScrn key is now).

Dang it.
DougChandler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,458
Message 57 of 80

Indeed. Aparently according to Lenovo, noone uses this key so they got rid of it. It is actually one of the keys I use most frequently and now I have to use Shift + F10 instead.

Check out all the stupid changes in my previous post here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Island-6-row-keyboards-coming-to-Thinkpads-your-opini...

Guru
Views: 2,451
Message 58 of 80

My largest annoyance with the new keyboard is that it doesn't look clean. I have pets and pet hair constantly ends up caught under the keys. It is very difficult to clean the hair out from under the keys. This leads to a messy appearance. I didn't have this problem with the classic keyboard.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
DougChandler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,449
Message 59 of 80

I have exactly the same problem with three cats my keyboard gets covered in hair and like you say, it looks messy and difficult to clean.

jakubmisek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,252
Message 60 of 80

5 - sadly it is deal breaker for me too. I won't pay $2000 for something that misses basic functionality I'm used to from years of using ThinkPads.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors