01-15-2016

Pittsburgh

16 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 7

Just wanted to say good bye

2016-01-15, 14:21 PM

I have a feeling of profound sadness, almost like the death of a friend, about Lenovo. 

I have always used their products harking back to the days of the T40.  Thinkpads were beautifully designed machines meant for business. 

I have owned a T40, T42, T410, and currently own a powerhouse W530.

My T410 sufferred water damage just before Christmas and I needed to find a replacement machine.  To make a long story short, I have purchased and returned a Yoga, a Carbon XI, and more recently a T450.  

I simply can not work with a machine with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  The T410 of course was 16:10 and the earlier machines had a screen that actually gave you room to work without perpetual scrolling. 

I have paid the restocking fees and have sadly concluded that Lenovo has lost touch with what used to be its core market: business users.  Thinkpads today are fine for viewing videos, but as they now lack CD drives, you must stream a movie, and for that I have something called a TV.  I am not allowed to watch movies at work. 

Lenovo has lost sight of the need for user productivity and now seems focused solely on entertainment uses.

Although there is some speculation that Lenovo might introduce a RetroThinkpad with the design features that established the product, I simply could not wait.   

I have purchased a Microsoft Surface Book with a 3:2 ratio, that actually resembles a physical paper tablet, because Lenovo gave me no other choice.

I saw the mockup of the RetroThinkpad, and when I saw the individually colored letters of the logo, it was confirmation that Lenovo's industrial design team is now second rate, and the prospects for basic ergonomic improvements are slim. 

So long Lenovo, I hate to part company, but it was your decision, not mine. 

Bob McGaffic

Pittsburgh, PA

Options

2031 Posts

11-28-2007

Czech Republic

12107 Signins

124942 Page Views

• Views: 124942
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Just wanted to say good bye

2016-01-15, 16:16 PM

I understand your frustration. I still don't get why there is no demand for a "pro" laptops similar to lets say full frame digital cameras. Almost all laptop manufacturers (except the fruit company with their unfriendly OS and artifical keyboard) produces the same 16:9 crap that turns computer into a portable movie player only.

Lets imagine Nikon or Canon stopped producing full frame cameras because "there is no full frame sensor on the market". Such a silly excuse. Of course it isn't available automatically, that's why they design it themselves. It is called competition. The goal is to offer product customers wants but competition does not have, remember Lenovo ?

It looks like a secret deal among major vendors - Lenovo, Dell and HP producing the same useless crap. Getting a 16:10 or 3:2 display does not need another mission to Pluto to get a precious metal you can not produce 16:10 or 3:2 without.

I bought X220 because of keyboard layout but most of the time I use it with 4:3 external monitor because I haven't find any desktop setting where 16:9 can be used for productive work :smileyfrustrated:

41 Posts

10-08-2015

Canada

59 Signins

367 Page Views

• Views: 367
  • Message 3 of 7

2016-01-19, 12:15 PM

I feel your pain. I too have been waiting many years for a 16:10 thinkpad to come back. I see a MBP in my future.

All the stories I've heard about why the 16:10 screen disappeared are just hogwash.

Where is this mock up of the Retro Thinkpad? I did the online survey and was feeling optimistic for the rebirth of the W500 era (and before) style thinkpad with modern internals.

Options

4 Posts

01-15-2016

Pittsburgh

16 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2016-01-19, 12:27 PM

Here's the link

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Community-Spotlight/We-are-listening-and-we-want-to-hear-more-from-you-RetroThinkPad/ba-p/2109317

If they would kill the purple ENTER KEY (Black will do just fine) and keep the current silver logo with the red dot over the i, it would be perfect. 

Lenovo apparently does not understand that retro really means bigger screen size, not reproduction of a museum piece. 

I'm going to check with Lenovo Sales this morning for an update on the release of this model.   I'm willing to bet that 6 months after their announcement, nothing.  

Bob

Options

4 Posts

01-15-2016

Pittsburgh

16 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2016-01-19, 14:34 PM

Just got off the phone with Lenovo Sales (1-855-253-6686). 

I spoke with representative Jeremy who told me that there is no release date for the this product, in effect, it is dead.

Bob

Options

19 Posts

01-10-2016

United States of America

32 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 6 of 7

2016-01-24, 4:49 AM

I don't think the Retro is dead. I expect it will be released in 2017 - long time to wait. Retro does not, by the way, mean 'bigger screen size'. Taller, more square, would be great. Bigger, not really.

I share the frustration. I just bought my wife a Yoga 260, which sounded pretty good. Didn't like the keyboard, but I forced myselt to use it for a while. I wondered why I was typing so poorly on it, and I compared with my X201s.

The Yoga 260 is wider than the X201s - but the keyboard is narrower. I can't for the life of me understand why. There's plenty of room, and yet the keyboard is narrower, it has fewer keys, they're in less useful places, and even the space bar is smaller. Why?

Options

85 Posts

05-02-2012

United States of America

126 Signins

1321 Page Views

• Views: 1321
  • Message 7 of 7

2016-05-05, 7:58 AM
You are right, T530 and W530 are last usable models, and my old T61p was the best.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms