Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-01-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Laptop has keyboard issues

2021-07-01, 4:25 AM

Hi,

My computer recently randomly decided to start bugging out. One day, I was typing on Google Docs when my computer started deleting random words as if I was pressing the backspace key which I wasn't. I did some more investigation and could not find the problem. I reset my computer (but kept my files) but the problem persists. After some trial and error, i discovered the following:

• When using Word (or anything text related such as Google search), if i press the backpace button, it will delete to the left and sometimes to right of the cursor. Sometimes it will keep deleting to the right (not the left) of the cursor as if I am pressing the delete key (I'm only pressing the backspace button).

• If I hold the shift key while pressing the backspace key, everything is normal (ie. deletes text to the left, does not delete to the right on it's own).

For your information, I am using the following:

• Lenovo P53s

• Windows 10 Pro

• Purchased roughly a bit over a year ago

What I have tried doing to fix it:

• Reset my computer (kept personal files) and reinstalled Windows.

• Cleaning my computer keyboard using compressed air.

• Deleting the keyboard driver and reinstalling it.

• Using the keyboard troubleshoot tool which returned nothing.

• Ran a Windows Security malware check which turned up nothing.

How can I fix this problem? It's very inconvenient as I use this laptop to do work everyday. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

329 Signins

14356 Page Views

• Views: 14356

Re:Laptop has keyboard issues

2021-07-02, 8:34 AM

@ DWEP12345 wrote:

Hi Voithos, 

Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps but to no success. I went into BIOS and using the key test, it shows that pressing the equal sign, backslash, enter, insert, and backspace keys all trigger the delete key. I am assuming that there is something wrong with my physical keyboard although I am unsure why. I did not spill any liquid or have anything fall into my keyboard. Is my only option to have someone fix replace my keyboard? Thanks. 

Yes, after the troubleshooting you have performed yourself and the PMU, it's reasonable to conclude that there's a keyboard hardware issue. Especially when it also shows this in the BIOS where only the very generic drivers are used.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Replies(3)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

329 Signins

14356 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2021-07-01, 11:00 AM

Hi DWEP12345,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I've seen keyboards do really weird things when they have static built up in them and most of the time a static discharge really does wonders.

Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the laptop (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try this a couple of times in case it doesn't solve the issue the first time (2-3)

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

07-01-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-01, 14:00 PM

Hi Voithos, 

Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps but to no success. I went into BIOS and using the key test, it shows that pressing the equal sign, backslash, enter, insert, and backspace keys all trigger the delete key. I am assuming that there is something wrong with my physical keyboard although I am unsure why. I did not spill any liquid or have anything fall into my keyboard. Is my only option to have someone fix replace my keyboard? Thanks. 

Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

329 Signins

14356 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-07-02, 8:34 AM

@ DWEP12345 wrote:

Hi Voithos, 

Yes, after the troubleshooting you have performed yourself and the PMU, it's reasonable to conclude that there's a keyboard hardware issue. Especially when it also shows this in the BIOS where only the very generic drivers are used.

Regards

Voithos

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms