Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-02-2021

New Zealand

4 Signins

15 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎09-02-2021
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Views: 15
  • Message 11 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-02, 0:31 AM

 

I can verify that with recent Apple hardware, the M14 often gets stuck in power saving mode, whereas it works with PC hardware much better.

 

Config:

 

M14 - 2018 MBP - UBC DP alt mode port - fully charged - os fully up to date - power saving off - working with other monitors in this config.

 

Symptom:

 

Power on the monitor and when connected to the MBP with Lenovo supplied cable.

 

The MBP beeps to recognize the connection, but the M14 immediately goes into power saving mode.

 

Same monitor with a recent Asus PC laptop - no problems.

 

There is no diagnostic tool available from Lenovo for this monitor.

 

Conclusion: Do not buy if you want to use this with a mac.

Reply
Options

2 Posts

09-05-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎09-05-2021
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 10
  • Message 12 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-05, 20:04 PM

I have the exact same issue.  Brand new M14t and it works fine with an Android Galaxy Note 10 as well as a PC running Windows 11.  If I try plugging in the M14t to any of my Windows 10 PC from different manufacturers, the M14t screen lights up, Windows beeps to recognize a new device but within 2 to 3 seconds the M14t flashes "Standby mode".  The driver provided by Lenovo is a .zip file that does not contain any .exe to install. I have attempted updating the display drivers through Device Manager but M14t does not show up there.  
I am at a loss as to how to make this work with Windows 10.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Reply
Options

5990 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

956 Signins

30354 Page Views

  • Posts: 5990
  • Registered: ‎08-02-2018
  • Location: Philippines
  • Views: 30354
  • Message 13 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-08, 21:23 PM

At most times, compatibility between devices, especially with different makers, would be a challenge.

 

Using OEM tools like here https://accessorysmartfind.lenovo.com/ can help aside from fellow users within the community that have their custom setup to confirm.

 

 

Jwes_Lenovo



Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.


Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Reply
Options

2 Posts

09-05-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎09-05-2021
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 10
  • Message 14 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-09, 14:42 PM

Your response does not make sense.  What are your attempting to propose as a solution?  To be clear, the M14 will not work with 3 different manufacturers devices running Windows 10.  One of the three is a Lenovo X1 Carbon.  So are you telling me that this monitor does not work with Lenovo's own hardware?

Reply
Options

3 Posts

09-02-2021

New Zealand

4 Signins

15 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎09-02-2021
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Views: 15
  • Message 15 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-10, 3:51 AM

My guess is: 40% chance - the M14 has buggy drivers in anything but Win 11; 40% chance - there is some substandard part that intermittently fails in the majority of these monitors, probably a capacitor.  20% chance - something else.

Reply
Options

5606 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40044 Signins

769409 Page Views

  • Posts: 5606
  • Registered: ‎04-25-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 769409
  • Message 16 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-09-10, 6:05 AM

@richbodo: Can you substantiate that? I’ve been using M14’s with Lenovo laptops for two years and they are great! Most of the problems discussed in these forums are related to users trying to use them without the correct type of USB-C port (it can be done with the right extra hardware).

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Reply
Options

1 Posts

10-15-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

  • Posts: 1
  • Registered: ‎10-15-2021
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 5
  • Message 17 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-10-15, 19:46 PM
Same here. I have a Lenovo Carbon X1 7TH gen. Worked for a day then power saver mode. Removed driver then reinstalled - same issue Tried different ports - same issue tried power to monitor then usb-c from monitor to PC. PC gets power but same issue.
Reply
Options

3 Posts

09-02-2021

New Zealand

4 Signins

15 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎09-02-2021
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Views: 15
  • Message 18 of 18

Re:Lenovo ThinkVision M14 Stuck in Power Saving Mode

2021-10-15, 20:00 PM

I have a potentially useful data point here - might not help otheres

 

For a long time, the only laptop I have been able to get the M14 to work well with is my thinkpad X1 extreme, which I pull out for windows projects.

 

I gave up trying to use it with my main laptops, but then I tried it one more time with an MBP after using it for a while with the X1 extreme - and the M14 worked again!!!  It did not go into power saving mode right away.  I can only assume that something about being hooked into the same hardware it was surely developed with in the lab kicks it into a viable state for working with other systems again.

 

(For the guy that has the "just because it fits" message in his sig - my main laptops are recent MBPs with DP-ALT USB-C and supplied M14 cable.  And yes, I think that if 5-10% of the reviews on Amazon say the M14 has problems of this kind - that substantiates that it has problems of this kind).

 

Also, what is with the "What is DOS moniker"  I hacked at the homebrew computer club, contributed to an open source DOS project, and implemented code that went into the Win95 API and into Linux drivers.  How is it that the assumption of a new member is that they don't know what DOS is?

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms