Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Views: 748
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo drivers as OpenSource!!!

2008-08-27, 17:27 PM

Hello,

I believe opening of hardware drivers for Lenovo laptops would be a good move to do. Is there any way to influence Lenovo to do this? Any Lenovo employees reading this?

What I mean is at least publication of drivers source code so that once some annoying bug is found, third party corporations/people have a way to fix them or let them fixed and use privately. Since 1 year I detected few annoying bugs which I would fix myself, should I have access to the source code. There is no way to submit bug to lenovo, they do not care after 30 days of purchase, should it be your problem or their bug. Very annoying.

The net step could be developing drivers as open project, so that input from others might be verified by Lenovo guys en put into original release.

I believe it is win win solution, Lenovo customers having emergency solution for their problems and Lenovo itself having a way to have some errors fixed by others or at least having high quality technical error reports.

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo drivers as OpenSource!!!

2008-08-27, 18:33 PM

hello! you do have a very good idea?perhaps yes it can be done ofcourse but considering that all hardware components inside a laptop or desktop may not be from lenovo should be concerend as well....if your laptop contains ATI or NVIDIA based chipset then it would be imposible to think of such a situation,intel however i think has opened up its drivers for linux have you checked it out?

ps:debugging and recompiling the drivers overselves sounds like fun!

Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-08-28, 17:45 PM

Hello,

Cool to see your feedback, lets see what others think too. What would be really needed is a way to invite the Lenovo opening sources or helping them doing this. Are all Lenovo PC users completely happy with the drivers and happy with the improvement speed of those?

Yep, some original chip makers opened their drivers, yet they were post customized by the Lenovo or replaced by own implementation. Using those drivers could be some starting point. Yet even better for the customers and the Lenovo itself would be opening of true Lenovo made/branded drivers. I would imagine both big corporations or individuals having some annoying problems with the driver on their PC would be very interested in possibility to see that bug in the source code or even fix it. Also, anybody could post improvements to the driver being that performance or features, which Lenovo could retest and include in official release.

What is your opinion/advice? Speak up, your computers well being is at stake! :-)

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-08-29, 6:48 AM
hemy system works out of the box for all major linux distributions!!sis chipset drivers are available from kenel version 2.6 onwards
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-08-29, 9:45 AM

Let me clarify something. I mean WINDOWS drivers, the one that comes to the user with his computer preinstalled

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms