Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

04-05-2013

Canada

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 10

Lenovo is dropping the Ball

2013-04-05, 1:55 AM

Hi, i've owned a T420 for over a year and it has been fine. Recently i woke up to a broken screen; black spots, color lines, the whole shbang. after a week of trying to reach them and being given the wrong reference number, information, and finally hung up on twice...TWICE, i have resolved that the only option  availible for me to get them to my honor my upgraded warranty was to appeal on a public forum, a tactic i am ashamed of. so here goes;

I'm extremely upset. I spent the last four days trying to get in contact with someone who could fix my lenovo T420 screen, which abruptly stopped working (which is an issue all on its own). After having my warranty status questioned, an honor i paid 350$ for, i was directed and redirected until finally i spoke to a managing supervisor, who dropped my call when i asked for priority onsite support. I called back, and to my chagrin was given a different operator, Mikala, who then transferred me to someone else whose name i didnt catch because they were mumbling, and also dropped the call before i had a chance to ask them to repeat it. At 6pm today i gave up and decided that emailing is the only way to communicate with you people. Fix my computer.
Sincerely 
Moish K.

i don't want a fight, i want a computer

Options

11964 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40262 Signins

423809 Page Views

• Views: 423809
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo is dropping the Ball

2013-04-05, 2:44 AM
This is a user-to-user forum, so it may not be the best place for a complaint. If the screen is physically broken, (cracked) it is considered to be user caused, so it may or may not be covered. If your warranty upgrade included "Thinkpad Protection", it will be covered. If you bought onsite coverage or a warranty extension, the accident that broke the screen will not be covered.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

6 Posts

04-05-2013

Canada

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2013-04-05, 4:34 AM

I know it is user to user but i have grown desperate. It is not physically cracked, it has no marks or dents or cracks, i literally turned it on and the screen was all messed up. I used it the night before and it was fine, next day it was borked. I have all that extended warranty and protection/priority stuff and it is really troublesome that after spending all this money on what i thought was a garentuee that this wouldn't happen (being ignored and pushed around), even after i tried to be understanding, but i'm tearing my hair out now. sorry for venting but as i said, i'm desperate.

Options

11964 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40262 Signins

423809 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2013-04-05, 17:12 PM
Thinkpad protection service is always done at the depot. Just call service and get a box sent to you.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

664 Posts

10-21-2011

Germany

9453 Signins

100357 Page Views

• Views: 100357
  • Message 5 of 10

2013-04-05, 22:05 PM

richk schrieb:
Thinkpad protection service is always done at the depot. Just call service and get a box sent to you.

Well, not anymore: http://blog.lenovo.com/products/onsite-accidental-damage-protection-services1

Options

11964 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40262 Signins

423809 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2013-04-07, 2:39 AM
I guess I learn something every day. In general, with physical damage, I think you are still better off sending it in. The depot has more parts available in case disassembly shows up more damage.

Rich

Options

6578 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29023 Signins

1662103 Page Views

• Views: 1662103
  • Message 7 of 10

deleted

2013-04-08, 15:59 PM

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

1403 Posts

08-03-2011

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

11998 Signins

306364 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 306364
  • Message 8 of 10

2013-04-09, 1:41 AM

Moishke

I sent you a PM - could you check your mailbox please?

Thanks

serene

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

6 Posts

04-05-2013

Canada

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2013-04-09, 1:51 AM
Thanks i'm finally figuring it out. When i first purchased the computer it came DOA, and lenovo sent me a new computer, WITH A DIFFERENT SERIAL NUMBER. This has been the source of confusion, the DOA laptop has the extended warranty, and the new one doesnt. I expect more, but it is an honest mistake.
Options

37 Posts

07-24-2009

Austin

69 Signins

784 Page Views

• Views: 784
  • Message 10 of 10

2013-04-09, 21:47 PM

I am reluctant  to agree, but after the experience on my T430s, I'm having trouble disagreeing.

Windows 8:

The typical OEM promise for an OS update is now a disaster is disguise. Windows 8 on Lenovo is a downgrade from Windows 7 on Lenovo. However, I strongly feel that Windows 8 is the direction forward. So, unless Lenovo improves, my thoughts are that my next purchase will struggle to have the Lenovo brand inscribed on it.

Keyboard:

I don't mind the new style keyboard. I appreciate the introduction of back-lighting. But, I do take issue with keys that do not stay put. Luckily, Lenovo support quickly replaced my defective keyboard.

BIOS:

My latest issue is with my BIOS. Check out the T-series forums for details. It looks like not only does my system board need to be replaced, but my Windows 8 upgrade is an impediment to updating the BIOS. Why does it take an hour on the phone to explain that BIOS updates outside of the OS do NOT involve the image on the hard drive? I understand the Lenovo consumers may not understand why, but I certainly expect Lenovo Support to understand.

In sum, my experience has encouraged me to doubt my loyalty to Lenovo, or more appropriately Thinkpad. I ask myself the following questions when thinking about my next purchase. I leave you -- the reader -- to decide what it should be.

Q1: What type of system do I want?

A1: I want a system that is designed, manufactured, and supported well. I want the system to be reliable and last without significant problems throughout the warranty period. More importantly, I'm willing to pay more for these requirements.

Q2: Does Thinkpad have superior design?

A2: Not anymore. Durability is not what it used to be. Keyboards are not much better than the competition anymore. The displays are average. The battery life is average. The size is average. The weight is average. Lenovo software is no longer a motivation for purchase. Products -- such as the Thinkpad X1 Carbon -- are a step in the right direction but still fail in several categories: display quality, battery life, software advantage.

Q3: Are Thinkpads manufactured better than the competition?

A3: Not really, All laptops are manufactured by the same ODMs. OEMs have less control than before. Margins are slimmer. Keyboards, System Boards, Displays are cheaper to replace than to manufacture well. My keyboard and system board problems are casualties of this trend.

Q4: Are Thinkpads better supported than the competition?

A4: No. Brand Loyalty is out. Price is in. Lower the price of warranty, sell to more customers -- give them the perception of good support. Most customers will not need the quality support. The customers that do are such a small minority that they can just deal with it or buy some other brand next time -- Lenovo does not care -- the price of keeping a customer for the long-term is not as beneficial as grabbing more customers in the short-term. My BIOS experience qualifies this answer.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms