04-07-2019

Estonia

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo please get off the soldered & thinness hype train

2019-07-11, 12:34 PM

We don't need thinner & lighter. More power & extendibility. See any comments on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59G9aJiSmo nobody says: "Yay, soldered X and lighter. Just what I needed". People, the professionals, your true hearted fans who will suggest your products to their friends (the tech-nerd-influencer types in the family and amongst friends). If you continue like this you'll go down the same hole as Apple is going. Apple will be history in couple years.

Options

11628 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

39930 Signins

419649 Page Views

• Views: 419649
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo please get off the soldered & thinness hype train

2019-07-11, 15:52 PM

I think you are not going to get what you want.  I believe ALL Intel mobile CPUs are BGA (soldered).  I know less about the AMD line.  I believe that AMD still makes a couple of PGA CPUs but I have heard they are going away also.  The LCDs being made are also thinner and lighter and are closer to edge-to-edge.  Most memory is still socketed.Most customers' upgrade path consists of throwing the old one away and buying a new one.  I also would prefer more extendibility, but I have given up.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

04-07-2019

Estonia

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2019-07-12, 11:48 AM

Good points! I'm not so concerned about CPU-s being soldered. Rather RAM and offering 490s offering only up to 16GB. Smells like upsell strategy. Losing the RJ45 port for couple millimeters of thinness. I think if we, the fans of Lenovo make enough noise and don't just give up, hopefully someone with voice inside the company sees it and can make the change.

Apple is going to wrong, customer-unfriendly direcion that I think will bite them in the ass in the coming years. I sincerely hope that Lenovo doesn't do the same, especially with the awesome machines like the Thinkpad professional series have been.

Like being someone from Lenovo, why don't they read some threads on Reddit or YouTube comments under their product reviews. Nobody is saying: "Yay! Two millimeters thinner. Yay! Soldered RAM. Yay! No way to add additional hard drive. Yay! No extra battery option" Rather I see people disappointed that these things have been taken away for some esotheric thinness-hypetrain (and maybe profit margin) reasons. We're professionals. We can pay the extra hundred bucks if the computer is worth it.

Options

10 Posts

07-11-2019

India

12 Signins

238 Page Views

• Views: 238
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-07-17, 14:41 PM

I kinda disagree. The couple of millimetres you refer to make a significant impact when it comes to thinness and lightness. Also, I wouldn't mind paying for a machine with soldered on peripherals (not ssd though) if it has sufficient computing power and is lightweight and portable.

Options

424 Posts

07-08-2019

Canada

598 Signins

7458 Page Views

• Views: 7458
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-08-03, 19:29 PM

I agree with both sides, more precisely:

• Most change their machine instead of upgrading, (more e-waste, btw);
  • People like thin, lighter machines;

That is, until:

• They want to add more RAM or bigger storage and cannot;
  • Their machine fails and they lose their (soldered-in) storage data;
  • They need a bag full of dongles because the ports are almost non-existent;
  • Their battery needs replacement and a support call is REQUIRED for replacement;
  • Special, not easily available tools are needed for battery, RAM or storage changes (YES, that includes the tool needed to remove the keyboard to change the memory hidden under it in the P52!);

Soldering/thinning is OK if it reduces weight and increases reliability, EXCEPT:

• For storage, that should ALWAYS be CRUs;
  • For removing commonly used ports like USB and network;

All this can be solved by:

• NOT blurring the line between tablets and laptops (Tablets are Cloud-bound wireless devices, laptops NOT);
  • Having specific lines of upgreadable devices, AND PRECISE WARNINGS FOR MACHINES THAT ARE NOT;
  • Having product lines that are GREAT for multiple usage types, and NOT a combination of limitations from both sides;
  • Calculating the lifecycle cost of the machine. Recycling costs should be pre-paid.

The cost of proper recycling should be included in the price of the sold item, but it's not going to happen overnight. People might prefer to upgrade them instead of wasting money on recycling it. Upgrading RAM and storage reduces e-waste! Or, why not buy back machines to recycle them?

Many of those issues would not exist if people paid the true cost of their machine. Repairing would become the norm again.

Martin

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 2TB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Options

4 Posts

04-07-2019

Estonia

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-08-04, 12:59 PM

Very good reasoning. Especially I like your points about storage and combining features instead of limitations. If Lenovo asked their diehard users whether they'd prefer thinner vs more features/upgradeability/thicker or same thickness, I'd put my money on that majority would pick 2nd option. 

Mobile phones had their adolescence in miniaturization. I hope laptop producers get over that phase soon.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms