Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-05-2014

United States

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo refuses to replace my computer

2014-05-05, 21:39 PM

Hello, 

I have had my Yoga 2 Pro (512GB SSD) since the week that it had come out. I recieved it as a replacement for the previous model because it was making a loud noise, which was a replacement for a y500 when the USB ports all went bad. That computer was a replacement for another Y500 that had a broken Disk Drive when I got it.  

The reason that I am needing to return my Yoga 2 Pro is because Lenovo has refused to support their product with any driver updates what so ever, in particular the video drivers which I have been having increasing problems with. I have been moved up the telephone ranks to a Customer Representative (or whatever they are called that can actually issue the replacement), and even past that as they tried to get a hold of the team that was directly over the Yoga line and came to the conclusion that they were not going to support the product. That is where I am right now, I was instructed to find the invoice of my first computer from Lenovo. 

After seaching as hard as I can I ended up unable to find any price of my purchase because I had it purchsed through a relative, My mom, brother, or father, I am not sure which one. And since then our family has switched banks. After finding out that it would very difficult or even impossible to get an orignal proof of purchase. I decided that I would just accept a replacement, seeing today that there was a recently released Y50. 

Upon telling the Rep that rather than go through the trouble of spending hourse hunting down the proof that I might not even be able to find I simply asked that I get a replacement computer in the hopes that this one is supported for longer than one month after its release. After making that offer I was immediately told that they will not grant me any type of replacement because I have already recieved 3 replacements. This does not make sense because each of the replacements were because of a manufacturer related issue and in no way at the fault of the user. This one to me seems to be in the same case becasue it is the manufacturer (Lenovo) that refuses to support my product. ( to give context, the video drivers for the Yoga 2 Pro have not been updated since October of 2013). Now after trying to negociate with the rep, they have completly refused to give me any type of replacement despite it being a problem with the manufacturer. I even looked up their policy in relation to replacements and nowhere does it say that there is a limit on these replacements. 

Can someone please tell me why I can not get a working computer from Lenovo? Is there really some rule that prevents me from getting over "X" number of replacements? and Why wont they take something back because of a problem that is so clearly at the fault of Lenovo? 

Someone please help me. 

Thank you for your time, and I am sorry for the novel that I had typed out. 

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo refuses to replace my computer

2014-05-06, 0:58 AM
Lenovo doesn't move at lightning speed; however, there have been some Yoga 2 Pro updates since its initial release (BIOS, energy manager, and motion control come to mind). I would appreciate a touchpad driver update myself.

However, I am not sure if "slow driver updates" would be enough to get Lenovo to accept a return, I'd be surprised if they would do so. Is Lenovo offering to refund your original purchase price? That seems like a reasonable offer.
Options

4 Posts

05-05-2014

United States

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-05-06, 2:13 AM

Yeah, I would be accepting if they were at least posting some of the updated software, bios, drivers (mostly drivers). but they have literally not posted a newer driver than the one that the computer was released with last september. The thing is that the Rep that I talked to must have agreed that it was a problem that was not going to be fixed any time soon. And I have been experiencing problems with it for a few months now, problems that a simple driver update should fix. 

I was offered a refund. but since it has been so long since my purchase of my orignal computer I have been physically unable to find the proof of purchase to get the refund. So at this point since I will not be able to get a refud they will not give me a replacement as an alternative. I find this odd because them offering a refund clearly admits I have a problem worthy of such action but they flat out refuse to provide me a replacement when I can not find the documentation to get a refund. 

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 4 of 6

2014-05-06, 3:40 AM
I agree the majority of the drivers are not getting updated quickly and most are dated 16-Oct-2013; however, 5 are newer including one just updated on 23-April-2014.
Options

4 Posts

05-05-2014

United States

6 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-05-06, 4:15 AM
I realize that they may be keeping some of them up to date but that does not take away from the fact that something as simple and necessary as a video driver update has never been up dated. I have gone through the process up to the office that personally handles the Yoga series and was told that they do not plan on updating it those drivers any time soon. That is why they were going to figure out some other solution for me.
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-05-06, 19:10 PM

Devon,

Sounds like you have had a string of bad luck...

As you understand, the warranty provides for repair in case of defect in the system.   The warranty does not stipulate regular updates, and not having them does not by itself constitute a defect in the product.

I would agree, that as a normal course, Lenovo does qualify and release updated BIOS and drivers, usually to provide improvement or to address specific issues.   There have been updates for the Yoga 2 Pro, and I believe (for example) that there is an updated wifi driver in test now.   I know that updated power management and BIOS have previously been released.

The warranty also provides for a repair in case of a defect, and does not guarantee uninterrupted use of the product .  A replacement is not always appropriate - usually appropriate in the first 30 days (when the unit could be considered DOA) or at a point during the warranty when there have been multiple repairs where major components have been replaced and Lenovo has determined that further repair is unlikely to solve the problem.

It seems in this case that there has a been a pattern of replacing one system with a different one, and a new problem is reported on each new system.   

Statistically this is very unusual.  I'm glad to hear that you are working with our customer relations team to reach a resolution.  I'm sure you can also understand after an extended time where a person who has had the use of multiple systems, that without a proof of purchase, it might be difficult to determine the correct amount to refund.

I hope you are able to reach a positive resolution shortly!

Best regards,

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms