Options

3 Posts

10-27-2019

TH

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo repairs changed my hard disk and I haven't backed up. Any chance of getting my data back?

2019-10-27, 14:54 PM

Here is what happened.

The main board of my Ideapad 330S (purchased around May) got fried on the 28th of September. I sent it for repairs at the Lenovo service center. On the repairs form, I clearly circled the option which said something like "There is data, please do not clean hard disk". I even told the staff that I don't want them to do anything to the data in the hard disk without telling me.

The staff said they didn't know how long it was going to take and told me to "get the files I really need out of the hard disk". I did that, saved some work onto an external hard disk that was getting full. However, after I left my laptop with them, it seemed she added a note that said "client has already backed up all data" and I didn't know about that until the repairs was done one month later. They had already changed my hard disk and gave me a clean machine. I was only informed that they were changing the main board. I asked them if they can perhaps get my old hard disk back, and she kept insisting that it was already impossible.

Basically, they deleted my data without telling me. And I didn't give them the permission to do so.

This is very frustrating, this is my first Lenovo laptop and I've lost 4 months worth of work after waiting for it for a month. I didn't even pay all the installments yet. Is there anywhere I can contact at all to get that hard disk back and at least backup the rest of my work?

Options

9046 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32581 Signins

1204245 Page Views

• Views: 1204245
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo repairs changed my hard disk and I haven't backed up. Any chance of getting my data back?

2019-10-28, 10:20 AM

Hello and welcome to the Community,

I've reached out to some colleagues to see if they can assist but am not able to offer any promises in regard to the outcome. Even if your data isn't work critical but don't want to lose it you should be running frequent backups; hard drives and solid state drives can quit working at any time or, even worse, notebooks get stolen.

edit; typo

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

10-27-2019

TH

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo repairs changed my hard disk and I haven't backed up. Any chance of getting my data back?

2019-10-28, 10:47 AM

Learned it the hard way this time. Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete