Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2012

USA

8 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo's "EasyServ" depot will not repair W520 under warranty

2012-12-10, 22:39 PM

To those who may be able to assist,

I feel the need to begin documenting an issue which I feel is heading towards a dead end. Less than a year ago, I purchased a ThinkPad W520 which included a 3-year "depot repair" warranty; it has served me excellently in fulfilling my needs as both a student and serious photographer. Recently, however, numerous issues have started popping up with my W520 which I have always sworn by.

The majority of these issues were minor in nature, such as a recent issue with the DVD tray becoming difficult to eject and the rear USB port not recognizing any devices. However, my first major issue with the system surfaced about two weeks ago when resuming the laptop from sleep. The LCD was blank, despite the laptop having all the indications of being fully "awake," including fan noises and the Windows logon sound after swiping my finger. By blank, I mean that there was no backlight on the LCD and nothing was visible on the screen, just as if the laptop had been off.

To confirm that the problem was with the built in LCD, I connected the laptop to an external monitor, where it worked normally. I also checked to make sure the ThinkPad wasn't in a "projector only" mode as it sometimes happens to be after connecting it to an external source. With no other avenue to pursue, I contacted Lenovo by phone on 11/30/12 and was politely told that the ThinkPad would have to be sent in for repair at the EasyServ depot in Memphis, TN. She assured me that my issue was covered by my warranty, which does not expire until 1/31/15.

I received an empty box 12/03/12, safely packaged it up with my ThinkPad as directed, and the EasyServ depot received it the morning of 12/05/12. The status changed to "Machine being repaired" the next day, and I had heard nothing from that point on for a while. I decided to call Lenovo who claimed Mitch XXXX from EasyServ had tried to call but received no answer at my number. A quick check of an incoming call log proved this to be true, but Mitch left no voicemail and returning the call lead to an out of order message. It was at this time that I was informed I would be transferred to billing, which immedietely caught my attention since I was assured this repair was complimentary.

I was told that my LCD was cracked "in all quadrants" and that the cost of repair would be a shocking $750. When I asked the cause of the damage, they only could tell me that it was cracked and that they could not proceed with the repair of the LCD without payment. Tamson, from billing, however informed me that the DVD drive and USB port issue, which I had noted on the paper sent in with the laptop, would be covered and repaired regardless.

During the call with Tamson, I requested that Mitch take photographs of the supposed damage to my LCD, which would simply not turn on when I had sent it into Lenovo. I have finally received those photos today (12/10/12) by e-mail, in which my LCD is now interestingly lit up bright, and indeed, cracks are apparent.

This seems odd to me as the laptop had no physical signs of damage when it was sent to Lenovo, and certainly has not been under wear and tear that would cause the LCD panel to crack in such a manner shown. Why does Lenovo continue to insist that my LCD is not covered under the warranty when the damage is not the result of end user action? Surely if the damage had been accidental, etc., Lenovo would not wish to replace the other components which are malfunctioning. I understand the cost of the LCD panel is high, but as a person who has replaced many of these in friends notebook computers, I know that they do not cost $750, and the expectation that I pay that much for something that should be covered under warranty is not reasonable.

I have not been given any further information about this case by Mitch or anyone at EasyServ except for the photographs which I received this evening. I am hoping someone in the Lenovo Community will help me move this case forward and that my ThinkPad doesn't have to sit at the depot much longer.

I can provide the case reference number and machine serial number to any Lenovo employee upon request.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Andrew

Moderator comment: Last name(s) of Lenovo employee(s) removed. Forum Rules.

Options

3 Posts

12-09-2012

USA

8 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo's "EasyServ" depot will not repair W520 under warranty

2012-12-15, 2:05 AM

Today I received the machine back with the LCD not replaced or repaired. The EasyServ product repair summary was not signed and contained no further comments other than "customer declined quote," presumably because I didn't want to pay $750 for the repair of an issue I do not feel at fault for.

The laptop also, to my surprise, came back to me with the power turned fully on (not in hibernation or sleep) sealed inside a plastic bag. The LCD bezel also now appears damaged, and what I can assume are the covers to the screw holes were replaced less than nominally. One bent, one is hardly even covering the hole, and the third appears okay. While the LCD might not have been fixed, I expected to receive my computer back in at least the same condition when it left for the Memphis EasyServ depot.

A screw is also missing from the bottom of the laptop, and the plastic sheel opposite of where the screw should be is consequently loose. Oh my!

A phone call to the number on my packing slip connected me to Adrial with Lenovo in Georgia, who has created a new case for me and has assured me that a different technician will definitely take care of the LCD issue as originally promised. I expect to receive another prepaid return box early next week. I hope that this issue is taken care of this time. We'll find out soon, I suppose...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms