Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srosenberg
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo uses Deceptive Trade Practices

I saw a doorbuster deal for an x220 that runs from 5/16-18.  I immediately went onto the website to configure and save the order.  When I went back this morning (5/17) the order was knocked out of my shopping cart and the ecoupon was no longer available.  A call to customer service indicated they would be happy to sell me the laptop--at $250 more!

When looking at the doorbuster deal on the Lenovo website, there is no mention of limited quantities of the possibility that the sale would not run through the dates listed.  Had I had an inling that something like this could happen, I would have clicked on the order button earlier.  I feel this is a highly deceptive trade practice--one worthy of bringing to the attention of the BBB and FTC.  After 20+ years of customer loyalty to IBM and then Lenovo, I for one will never buy from this company again.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 400
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo uses Deceptive Trade Practices

Hi srosenberg, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

It's frustrating to miss out on such deals Smiley Sad, but to be fair it does say "Sale expires: May 18, 2011; valid while supplies last."

The good news is that if past performance is any indication, you won't have too long to wait for new deals on the X220 Smiley Happy. I suggest being patient and watching for them.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
srosenberg
Paper Tape
Views: 390
Message 3 of 5

Ever reputable company I've ever dealt with makes certain that the words "until quantities last" or some such language is tied into its promotion.  The ad banner clearly reads "through May 18th" with no qualifying language or footnote.  

My only hope is that, at a minimum, somebody reads the riot act to the Lenovo web marketing group.  If it's not false advertising, it certainly meets the definition of a deceptive trade practice.  I'm moving to a competitive product by a company who actually gives a darn about its customers.

Guru
Views: 383
Message 4 of 5

Sometimes it's in the finer print.

If the deal wasn't presented on the Lenovo site, then Lenovo really can't enforce the whole "while supplies last" disclaimer very easily, can they.

Found it. I quote:

"Sale expires: May 18, 2011; valid while supplies last. Limit 5 per customer. Offer valid from Lenovo in the US only.

Availability: Offers, prices, specifications and availability may change without notice. Lenovo will contact you and cancel your order if the product becomes unavailable or if there was a pricing or typographic error."

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 354
Message 5 of 5

As stated above there was nothing deceptive about this. Don't sweat it, Lenovo has some killer deals on ThinkPads every few weeks. You can even search Google for coupons and possible find a better deal on the same system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors