Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khris777
Punch Card
Views: 2,118
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo worst ROI, worst service: keep your word please

Complaints case #01040045, opened 2014 August 19th - No response from them and no update from support.

Please excuse any formatting errors, as I am entering this post via my tablet since my W520 'super laptop' has been dead in the water since June when the runaround with Lenovo began. Technically, I no longer have any coverage left, but based on the fact that this machine has been a constant fiasco since purchased, I would think Lenovo might be inclined to take some very inexpensive corrective action to ensure that I do not repeat the story of the worst purchase / investment I have ever made every chance I get for as long as I can keep it up, to as many as I possibly can. It seems not though, it seems Lenovo would prefer to continue to demonstrate a total lack of ability to know what each part of the company is doing, a total lack of interest in anything but keeping every dime in its grip, and an apparent inability to make a quality product, let alone provide decent technical support or customer service.

I purchased this $3000 waste as I intended to use this 'powerful' laptop to do fast audio/video file conversion, video editing, music creation / recording, distributed computing (e.g. BOINC), some gaming... unfortunately, anything truly intense causes the laptop to generate incredible amounts of heat (especially BOINC, GAMES). The initial laptop I was sent had to be completely replaced do to this issue. It basically always overheated, the replacement laptop is better, but still can't run BOINC or even a game like Age of Empires without burning through my desk. This, I decided to live with...

Then the motherboard failed.... twice, oh, now three times! I have to admit to being a little vague on all the problems as they took place over two years. I can say for certain however that IBM support NEVER diagnoses anything, they just replace parts until the problem goes away for a while. If I ever get the board replaced again, we'll see if the issue with the expensive wifi card is resolved and how many hard drives were fried in the motherboard implosion (I'm always on UPS/surge protection, by the way).

So, after motherboard #2 was installed, things seemed stable for a while... so, I come to early 2014, I call sales the day before my extended support plan runs out to ask about extending it, "yes, you can extend it anytime. no, you don't have to do it before it runs out.". Ok, YES I AM AN IDIOT.... I didn't confirm whether or not I could extend (or 're-up') the coverage only if there were no problems at that time, and perhaps I wanted to think that... which, yes, sounds silly.... but the sales rep didn't make that clear and I took what they said literally, "you can extend coverage at any time". Of course, once the motherboard failed again, I found out that was not true.

I have the laptop at an authorized Lenovo repair center and the problem is indeed the motherboard again.... but do you think I got what I paid for? do you think a customer is happy with a $3000 laptop, that doesn't perform, is constantly problematic, and now after 2.5 years is dead yet again?

To top it all off, before taking it to the repair shop I opened the bottom to make sure that the hard drive hadn't come unseated or something... what did I see? I see that one of the IBM techs has swapped out my 16gb of ram (2x8) for 8gb (2x4)!!!

So,
Once the shop diagnosed the issue, I called Lenovo support and explained my situation, experience and request to Emmanuel... I asked that to save my customer experience that Lenovo send the repair shop a 'free' motherboard and the correct RAM. Lo and behold, he said he understood, agreed and would get this done... then the rest of the company got involved...

1) (per Emmanuel in support) About 2 months after my purchase (see invoice excerpts below), Lenovo upgraded its sales / customer info 'database' to a new system... apparently all of my personal data including what I purchased was THROWN AWAY BY LENOVO! so, this is the first reason I was then given as to why I could not be helped. Emmanuel said I should try to call IBM and try to get them to cross reference x to y in their system to prove to lenovo I was a customer... which of course they could not do and in generally they had no interest in helping in any way.
This never was resolved. Shows a lot of disrespect and incompetence that Lenovo doesn't know I gave them $3000 just two years ago.

2) relay above to Emmanuel, who sends me to customer service or something to try to get any info that I was ever a customer (a customer in Feb 2012!!! like its 30 years ago or something.). They simply tell me to have Emmanuel talk to Katlyn Oneal, a systems analyst, "she can answer everything". Did so; Emmanuel comes back and tells me "Katlyn says it's not possible to help you because of the 30 day limit" on questioning service/repairs done... I guess specifically in relation perhaps to the THEFT of my purchased RAM. Do SYSTEMS ANALYSTS run Lenovo, make business decisions? what are these people thinking? I told E. this was unacceptable.

Emmanuel then opens a case with 'Customer Relations' (case #01040045), was told it could take up to 10 days for a response... nothing... called the number for CR which E. gave to me (919 257-4981)... two hours on hold before I gave up. every call to that number is the same... forever hold. Emmanuel opened this case on 2014 August 8th, never been a response. I called E. on August 19th, he then moved the case to Complaints... today is Aug 29th, still no response from Customer Relations or Complaints. At this point Emmanuel is not calling me back or answering my calls either.

Lenovo can throw technicalities of my warranty, 30 day limits etc forever.... but can anyone say I got what I paid for? Why can't lenovo keep track of what it sells, who to, why can't they communicate even internally? Lenovo should do what EMMANUEL / LENOVO stated to me that Lenovo would do on my first call to him: make me whole (though I have no real faith the thing won't self immolate again). How valuable can 16gb of ram and one or two trashy motherboards sitting around in a warehouse from 2+ years ago ($50 I'm guessing, if that). Is that really not worth making me happy? I'm already resolved to paying labor to the repair shop. so far Lenovo is the worst ROI ever for me, on anything I think you should help me out to keep me quiet, and just do what you said you would do, which will be the right thing to do.

Again, please just do what Emmanuel (I.e. Lenovo) said Lenovo would do.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:57 PM
Subject: Details Fw: LENOVO Order 2J9641

Customer number: 6081625
Order number: 2J9641
Placed: 2/20/12

Thank you again for your order.

Intel Core i7-2860QM Processor (2.50 GHz, 8MB L3)
OperaGenuine Windows 7 Professional 64
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 English
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
16 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (4 DIMM)
Intel 160 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
4270CTO ThinkPad W520 - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty
41C9337 2YR Onsite + 2YR ThinkPad Protection $111.30
41U5008 ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse $49.95
73P2582 Kensington MicroSaver Security Cable Lock from Lenovo $31.20

Subtotal: $4,187.95
Sale price: $2,881.45
[PRESIDENT] -$403.35
Shipping and handling: $0.00
Estimated tax: $204.44
Estimated total: $2,682.54*

Thanks...
Chris H.
Former Administrator
Views: 2,031
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo worst ROI, worst service: keep your word please

Chris,

I wanted to reply here on your original thread .  I appreciate your  noting your prior case 10140045 - this appears not to have been routed correctly and was closed out.   We will escalate this situation and ensure follow up.

I appreciate your speaking up, and your patience.   I really hope we can restore your confidence in Lenovo.

Mark

khris777
Punch Card
Views: 2,018
Message 3 of 5

Thank you Mark.
khris777
Punch Card
Views: 1,955
Message 4 of 5

I have what appears to be positive movement on my case... will update at resolution.
thank you
Chris
khris777
Punch Card
Views: 1,903
Message 5 of 5

It took a LOT of time and a LOT of phone calls and emails.... it took way too much effort and noise making, but my issue has been resolved to my satisfaction, and I am now 100% no longer upset. I won't go into details since my case has lots of parts to it and all cases are different, but would just say that if you feel you honestly haven't received the service you deserve, then just don't give up, state your case over and over... and if you've reached what seems like a dead end, be sure to post on this board.

Thanks Lenovo, in the end you did the right thing.
Chris H.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors