cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Threk
Paper Tape
Views: 6,207
Message 1 of 7

Make the "Thinkpad Keyboard Properties" popup go away forever.

I switched the Function keys back to "Legacy" in the BIOS so that I could actually work, and now when use Fn with any of the function keys to change the volume,brightness,wifi state, etc it pops up this @#$^% annoying box asking me if I want to restore the settings to default.

No I do not want to restore them to default. I will not want to restore them to default in 5 minutes, or 30 minutes, or a couple hours or tomorrow or next week. Stop asking me 30 times a day!

How do you make this popup go away FOREVER??!!!

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 6,166
Message 2 of 7

Re: Make the "Thinkpad Keyboard Properties" popup go away forever.

hey Threk,

do you have a software/driver installed call "hot key integration" ? if you do, remove that and see if the same pop-up appears.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
JSWM
Paper Tape
Views: 6,165
Message 3 of 7

Hello, I had the same problem so I decided to post my solution. Removing Hot Key Integration solves the issue, but also removes the other features like OSD, which is actually good.

I discovered a file responsible for this pop-up menu and the tab in the keyboard config is file "mkrcfg.dll" inside driver installation folder (should be: "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY"). If you rename/remove this file the ability to change between Legacy and Default from within an OS goes away (it can still be changed in BIOS). The pop-up "feature" will go away, but all other functions will stay.

I should also warn you, it's entirely possible the dll also includes some other functions related to keyboard and removing it might introduce some other problems. It seems to work fine for me, though. Proper solution would be for Lenovo to give user ability to remove this pop-up.

Bye. 

Threk
Paper Tape
Views: 6,118
Message 4 of 7

Thanks JSWM!

Just renaming mkrcfg.dll in C:\Program Files\HOTKEY by itself didn't make it go away, but renaming the other copies in C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\HOTKEY\OSD\_amd64 and C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\HOTKEY\OSD\_i386 and then rebooting did the trick.

Probably just the first file and a reboot would work, but since my search turned up 3 copies I renamed them all.

davethejackal
Paper Tape
Views: 5,200
Message 5 of 7

I got task manager up and when I hold down the Fn key a program called MKRMSG.EXE starts up. 

I killed this and no more pop up.

i searched the registry for this and in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LENOVO\MessageClient\MediaKey" it gave the defines this file as the receiver file, where MKRMSG.dll is the transmitter file.

the "ReceiverLocation" key gives the file location. I renamed the file to MKRMSG.EXE.bak

Seems to work so far ... 

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 5,188
Message 6 of 7

@davethejackal

Thanks!
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

eli8844
What's DOS?
Views: 2,293
Message 7 of 7

thank you ive been trying to get rid of it for ages

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors