Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivann
Paper Tape
Views: 113,330
Message 1 of 7

Microsoft Office Activation

I've just bought a Lenovo laptop with Microsoft Office pre-installed. When I try to activate it, rather than the Activation Wizard which I understand I shoud get, I get a screen offering me three choices; none of which are appropriate.

To buy, to have a free trial or to activate by inserting the product key on my packaging or entering the email address associated with my subscription.

Hepl please.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 113,188
Message 2 of 7

Re: Microsoft Office Activation

Hi ivann, welcome to the forum.

Did you buy your laptop from the Lenovo web site, or some other re-seller?

The Office product key is controlled by MicroSoft. Each OEM need to buy a "bulk" license, to load MS Office when making the laptop. If Lenovo loads MS Office at the factory, and you buy that laptop from them, they send you the product key via a separate mailing. In fact, I received my key package a week before I received the laptop. Cat Happy

If you bought the laptop from some other re-seller, that seller should have given you the key at the time of purchase.

Either way, you should have the key license in your hand. It comes in it's own MS Office package, and only contains a card with the key. The package looks like a DVD box.

No OEM makes a laptop, with the MS Office key already installed in the programs.

IIRC The "e-mail" subscription is for Office 365.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

DavidF2
Paper Tape
Views: 83,234
Message 3 of 7

I bought my Lenovo Yoga from Currys and no licence code was included. I could use the machine but couldn't personalze it. I kept getting a message telling me to buy a licence. I followed the troubleshooter on the same page. That told me to phone an automated service and enter 97 numbers. I tried this but there were so many options that I admitted defeat and gave up. It was not as straightforward as it seemed.  So I went to support.microsoft/activation and clicked on 'chat'.  I got the help immediately, he understood the problem and after a few questions back and forth he sorted it by remote control and entered a new key and activated it for me. My advice is to forget the on screen instructions about phoning the 0800 number and go straight to the microsoft chat.

Human101
What's DOS?
Views: 71,351
Message 4 of 7

I also bought a Lenovo laptop with Microsoft Office Home 2016 to be pre-installed.  But, the laptop arrived without Microsoft Office installed. 

Lenovo support's response was that they would refund the cost of Office and that I should go buy a copy myself.

DavidF2
Paper Tape
Views: 71,323
Message 5 of 7

I wouldn't bother to pay for Microsoft Office. If you download and install Open Office it will do all that Word etc will do.

No hassle. and more to the point. No cost.

compwiz1
What's DOS?
Views: 44,452
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

Turns out this is a known issue. Four phone calls to Lenovo and two phone calls to Microsoft later...

Download and run this Microsoft diagnostic program - it fixes it automatically. Worked for me.

Hope it works for you. Once it says that it fixed the issue, relaunch MS Office (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) and there should be a big button that says Office is preinstalled, ACTIVATE!!

Admin note; link to direct download removed. Please also do not use link shorteners; people don't know where they are going to land

jackryann
Paper Tape
Views: 10,410
Message 7 of 7

I bought a Microsoft office 2016 from microsoft and try to install in my lenevo i3 laptop, but facing problem while activating it. may be its internet or else but i am still facing the same issue.

I also go though Microsoft website for detail help http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/

but not worked.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors