5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1 of 4

Need ISO Image - Windows 7

2016-03-08, 10:11 AM

Hello Lenovo and friends,

I have a Lenovo Idea Center

A couple days ago I did a standard defrag. As soon as I got finished with the defrag, the computer started freezing. Simply opening files is a hastle. Going on the internet is impossible. The Lenovo is pretty much useless in this state. It took me forever to do a roll-back (which didn't fix the issue). It's acting like some important files or registries got damaged during the defragmentation proccess.

Ultimately I decided that a fresh Windows install would be the best thing to do. So I headed to the Microsoft website to get an ISO Image for Windows 7 Home Premium.

NOTE: The Digital River downloads no longer work, as pointed out by PC World. And I did visit the links to make sure (and in hopes they were mistaken).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how-to-install-windows-7-without-the-disc.html

The problem is that when I enter my product key into Microsoft's ISO download page, it gives me the following message:

"Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the devise manufacturer for software recovery options."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I have read other forum posts here about getting an ISO image, and they only send customers to the Digital River download page, which is now a dead end.

Microsoft is putting this back into YOUR hands.

The computer did not come with a preloaded full Windows restore (believe me I tried, and the computer said it can not find an install on the computer, and of course the Lenovo doesn't come with a Windows install disc). All I have are whatever restore points I've made - and those did not fix the problem─In fact they only caused me to lose some programs that would have helped me retrieve data easier.

My computer is freezing up, and it needs a new install.

I've never had to talk to Lenovo customer service before, so I don't know what to expect. Please don't say "screw you" and send me back to Microsoft (so they can say "screw you, go back to Lenovo." If you are selling computers with Windows installed, then there must be a workaround that YOU can settle with Microsoft - otherwise the customer is the one who has to bite it when they end up with a useless Lenovo, because Lenovo and Microsoft have no ISO retrieval agreement.

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

03-08-2016

USA

5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Need ISO Image - Windows 7

2016-03-09, 11:44 AM

So. . . I gave this thread a whole day for Levono Support to make a reply and come up with a downloadable ISO - or at least to say "Thank you, we are looking into a solution", and. . .

It seems to me that SILENCE is equal to:

"SCREW YOU, WE DON'T CARE! YOUR LENOVO IS NOT OUR  CONCERN!"  ─Signed, Customer Support

Frankly, if anyone ever asks me what I think about Lenovo computers, I'm just going to send them to the forums. I think an hour of reading customer complaints will turn anyone off from making a purchase from a company with customer service that's about as bad as it gets.

Options

757 Posts

06-20-2011

US

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-03-09, 23:05 PM

Hi,

I'd like to point out that in Our Guidelines, it states:

"Objectives of Lenovo Discussion Forums:

These communities have been created to provide a high quality atmosphere in which users of Lenovo products and services may share experiences and expertise. While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel. This is an informal and public forum, and Lenovo does not guarantee the accuracy of information and advice posted here."

If you call the Lenovo Support Phone Number, they can order you a recovery CD, or USB stick, based upon your shipped OS, and model number. There may be a charge, depending on your warranty status.

Thank you,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Options

522 Posts

02-24-2014

AF

615 Signins

9018 Page Views

• Views: 9018
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-06-18, 5:50 AM

Indeed, I too crashed, with bad recovery DVD.  Inerestingly, Dell has recovery ISO disks available on line uing the computer's TAG number.  Now it's Friday, and I'm down for the next 2 days or more.  ThinkAbout it.  Never again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete