Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

New Member, Technological Dinosaur, barely out of the stone ages, so please bear with me.

2021-02-06, 0:31 AM

I just purchased a refurbished SL510 with Windows 10, and my problem probably has a simple answer, but I've not been able to find any mention of it in the  start-up guide nor the user's guide that we've downloaded. 

This is a replacement for my wife's old Dell laptop, and I can't get the screen to open/separate from the case. With all of her previous laptops, HP & Dells, there's always been a latch-key to open for usage. I find no mention of such a key in the available references, and have tried to physically open it, with no luck.

There's a tab/rectangular-button on the right-bottom corner, near the "Wireless Radio Switch" (#11 on the start-up guide) that I can't get to move in or out or in any direction that might be what we're looking for, but since I can't do anything with it, 'don't know if I'm even in the right area.

I'm a 77 yr. old relic and my wife's a couple years my senior, so please help us in non-technical terms since we've always been late to any new technology.

Thanks very much for any advice you can provide.

Answer
Options

12661 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7260 Signins

749320 Page Views

• Views: 749320

Re:New Member, Technological Dinosaur, barely out of the stone ages, so please bear with me.

2021-02-06, 4:18 AM

Hi Cargoman

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Checking the hardware manual for the model here (pages 111-112), shows the spot near wifi switch (item 12) are just power indicator.

It does locate in an indented spot to place the thumb of your right hand to open it towards the back while it facing the user.

It maybe a bit tight on the hinges so you can perhaps use two hands to slowly guide it up going to the back part to open the lid.

There are also some video reviews of the SL510  over the internet tto review how they would open it as it doesn't have any latch to keep it close.

I hope this helps.

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

spidey101

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

12661 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7260 Signins

749320 Page Views

• Views: 749320
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:New Member, Technological Dinosaur, barely out of the stone ages, so please bear with me.

2021-02-06, 4:18 AM

Hi Cargoman

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Checking the hardware manual for the model here (pages 111-112), shows the spot near wifi switch (item 12) are just power indicator.

It does locate in an indented spot to place the thumb of your right hand to open it towards the back while it facing the user.

It maybe a bit tight on the hinges so you can perhaps use two hands to slowly guide it up going to the back part to open the lid.

There are also some video reviews of the SL510  over the internet tto review how they would open it as it doesn't have any latch to keep it close.

I hope this helps.

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

spidey101

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

02-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

2021-02-06, 18:16 PM

Spiedy101,

Many thanks for your response; it's such a nice laptop, I figured there must be some secret button or way to open it.  After sending my query I tried again and you're right; tight hinges. Opened it and was surprised at how tight they were; I guess the refurbishing co. did a really great job; it looks like a brand new one. After 15 minutes or so, we were up and running; this has to be the best of many refurbished PCs we've bought over the past 20 years.  Thanks for your help!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms