cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexjohnson16
Serial Port
Views: 595
Message 1 of 4

Post warranty warranty issues... Can someone answer? Lenovo apparently can't.

Hi all,

Just chiming in with a few issues that I've been unable to have solved regarding Post Warranty Warranty.

Background: In late July, I had a motherboard issue (link) on my T500 that I have been unable to solve and, thus, have a system that will not boot. Several posters suggested Lenovo Post Warranty Warranty, which I decided was the best route.

Fast forward to the present. I purchased a one-year post warranty warranty on August 31 for $149 + tax. The first sales rep I spoke to in mid-August told me that the warranty would take 30 days to go into effect, but the person who actually sold me the warranty said it would take 5-7 business days, and if I called technical support and gave them the confirmation code, it could be bypassed and the machine could be serviced at that point.

My card was charged for the amount of the warranty on Sept. 10. The order status page said that the order "shipped" on Sept. 7. However, both the technical support line and the Lenovo website state that the system is still out of warranty.

That isn't the part that has me worried though. The part that has me worried is that on the confirmation email, it states the purchase date to be 09/15/2009 (the original end of the warranty on the machine). At no point did either sales rep clarify this, and I'm fairly certain one of them inferred that it was from the literal purchase date (Aug. 31) that the warranty would be tacked on, thus giving me coverage until August 2011.

I emailed the representative who processed my order and sent me confirmation asking about these questions on Sept. 13. I still have no response from him. Due to the hours I work and the nature of my work, making a call during business hours is nearly impossible (I had a vacation day on the original order date).

Does anyone have any advice or answers on this situation? It's quite frustrating, and I am willing to pay the post warranty price to have my machine fixed, but feel like I'm being sold something that never could have been used.

Regards,

Alex

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 586
Message 2 of 4

Re: Post warranty warranty issues... Can someone answer? Lenovo apparently can't.

there are two types of post warranty warranty, one is additional warranty for in-warranty system, one is additional warranty for post warranty system. I think they sold you the first one.

The post warranty warranty that you are after is around 200 USD if memory serves me correctly.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/THNK-PLUS.html#ma
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
alexjohnson16
Serial Port
Views: 582
Message 3 of 4

Re: Post warranty warranty issues... Can someone answer? Lenovo apparently can't.

lead,

Thanks for the reply. How could they sell me the one for an in-warranty system that wasn't in warranty when I purchased it?

The original warranty expired 09/15/2009. I made this purchase on 08/31/2010 and was billed on 09/10/2010.

Edit: After clicking on mobile products, I see the product code for my machine is this:

ThinkPad T50022421YR Depot1YR Depot

41C9278

This is the same number that I received in the email from the Lenovo representative.

Regards,

Alex

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 572
Message 4 of 4

i really don't know enough to tell you what is actually going on, it is best that you contact customer support for this issue.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors