Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbelcher
Not applicable
Views: 29,852
Message 1 of 31

PowerDVD 10 blu-ray playback issues

I purchased an IdeaPad Y570 Laptop - 08626JU appropriately 1 month ago. The bundled PowerDVD 10 software did not work - it failed to play blu-ray discs due to the software repeatedly failing to update. Here is how the IT support/complaint process with Lenovo went.

1. Called IT Support, IT support erroneously tells me that PowerDVD does not support blu-ray playback and I will have to purchase software myself. I explain that it was bundled software, it came with a blu-ray drive, and they need to fix the problem by providing me new software. IT promises me software support will call me back within 30-60 minutes... never happened.

2. Sent complain E-mail. I received a response in such extreme broken English that it was incomprehensible.

3. Sent complaint reply and requested to be put in touch with American based customer support. Received another email, also in broken English but somewhat comprehensible. I was told that my computer does not have a blu-ray drive, and that I should contact software tech support, but they would have to charge me for doing so as it's not covered under warranty.

Summary: Lenovo tech support repeatedly lied about my computer, and software, and calling me back. They proved themselves incompetent and not knowledgeable in Lenovo products. Lenovo will not stand behind its product, and then when you think that it can't get any worse they'll try to squeeze more money out of you. In me they (and IBM) have lost a customer for life.

This is a duplicate of the message I am posting on every message board, forum, blog, and complain agency that will hear it.

(mod edit: changed title of post to match thread subject)

erik
Not applicable
Views: 29,794
Message 2 of 31

Re: Terrible Customer Service

welcome to the forum!

sorry to hear about your experiences.

since this forum is intended for tech support, let's try the tech support approach first.   can you provide some background on what version of powerDVD software you currently have and what messages you see when trying to play a blue-ray disc?   have you tried manually downloading and installing version 10.0.3029.52 available here on the support site?   this is explicitly listed as "PowerDVD 10 BD" and BD = blue-ray drive.    update: use this patch update instead per mark's post below.

please try that and let us know if it works for you.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

filboid
Not applicable
Views: 29,759
Message 3 of 31

I have the same issue with powerDVD.  It requires an update to be installed before it will play blu rays.  But when I try to install the update it gives an error about not being able to find an internet connection, even though I'm connected.

erik
Not applicable
Views: 29,746
Message 4 of 31

filboid - welcome to the forum as well!

thanks for the feedback.   it sounds like this could be a pattern either in the software package or updater.

can you try downloading and installing the package linked above to see if it works for you?   knowing this would help start the process on narrowing down a cause.   thanks!

rhoward8
Not applicable
Views: 29,703
Message 5 of 31

I'm having the same trouble. I downloaded the update and it goes through most of it before it tells me that there's a problem with the internet connection. I tried downloading and installing the package from the link posted, but it didn't help. The same thing happened again.
erik
Not applicable
Views: 29,650
Message 6 of 31

rhoward8 - welcome to the forum as well!

sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well.   thanks for relaying that the download link doesn't work.   that's a great start since no one else is returning with follow-up info.

what lenovo system do you own?   the same question applies to anyone else having this issue.

rhoward8
Not applicable
Views: 29,618
Message 7 of 31

I have a Lenovo G770. It was purchased in December of 2011. I didn't try the Blue-ray until last week. Also, after I downloaded and installed the PowerDVD that was posted, I noticed that my regular DVD's started playing too fast. It seemed like it was playing at 1.1x instead of 1.0x speed. Everything was slightly sped up. It's very annoying. I don't know how to fix it. I've had to use a different media player. I'd like to get the PowerDVD working so I can watch my Blue-ray DVDs.

italguyndc
Not applicable
Views: 29,517
Message 8 of 31

Hello, I have experienced the exact same problem as these other users...

Purchased a Y470 with Blu-ray in Dec'11. PowerDVD10 came installed. When I attempted to watch a blu-ray, the software insisted an update was necessary. Halfway through installing the update an error message pops up saying that there is a problem with my internet connection and that I should check my connection and try again. Update cancels.

Things I tried while attempting to install the update numerous times:

- Connected to 3 different (Home) networks

- Turned off all network security

- Rebooted

- Shut down all other unnecessary programs

- Tried to look for another update on Cyberlinks website, but the website states that bundled software updates/patches can only be performed through the software update notification process ... which is the process we are all trying that fails over and over again... the updates/patches they provide links to are only for purchased or downloaded versions of their software (not bundled)

IdeaPad Y470

Greg

italguyndc
Not applicable
Views: 29,440
Message 9 of 31

I contacted Cyberlink about this issue, and they threw the ball back to Lenovo. Since this is a customized OEM version, Lenovo must offer the solution. See their response below:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
I understand your concern related with OEM version softwares.
In response to your concern, please note that the OEM versions are those softwares which are provided bundled with some other articles i.e, camcorders, DVD drives, capture/graphic/TV tuner cards, Magazines, computers etc.
These OEM versions are customized version softwares. This customization is made by the development team of the provider and not by the CyberLink developers.
That's the reason why these OEM versions have different features and compatibilities as compared to the full retail versions which we sell.
Since, we do not have much information about the features and internal architecture of the software therefore, I suggest you to contact your previous OEM version provider to get another installation copy of the software.

Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 29,425
Message 10 of 31

All,

Thank you for reporting this and for confirming that this occurs on different model systems and that you are using the version Erik recommended.   

We'll raise this with our IdeaPad team to see if we can replicate / confirm the issue and work to resolve it.

I appreciate your patience and agree we should be able to get this to work for you.

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors