Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnsouthworth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 539
Message 1 of 5

Problems with warranty service

When I received the computer and the overall build quality was lacking. The keyboard flexed when I typed on it. The keyboard bezel exhibited considerable flex on the left and right corners. This created an unacceptable creaking noise when using the computer. The screen was also defective. None of these problems were caused by me. They were defects from the factory.

This computer is nearly 2 months old and I've only used it for 2 weeks, and now its out of necessity (I am a student and classes have started. I still have problems with my machine

I had the computer worked on by an onsite tech a few times(3 or 4), but they continually sent him the wrong parts. He suggested that I send the machine into depot so that they could order the parts that were needed as they needed them.

So I did that. When I received the computer back I was still having problems with it, the keyboard this time had keys that didn't function and even more flex than before. Also they managed to scratch the lid of the computer. I sent it back in and then the real problems began. It sat at the depot for a week under the wrong case number. I spent several hours trying to tell the technician that they were looking at the wrong description of the problems and that I had included a detailed description of the problems. After another week they finally get the machine back to me. They apparently used "recertified" parts on my machine as there are scratches on the keyboard bezel and the screen bezel looks like they removed the stickers covering the holes with a screwdriver, slipped and didn't bother replacing the damaged parts.

Now these are cosmetic issues, but this is still to me a brand new machine. I didn't spend $2000 on a computer to have it look like crap the first time I use it. The fact that this has been on going for over 2 months and my keyboard still flexes like crazy and makes it difficult to type on and every time i send it for repair it comes back with more problems is unacceptable. 

Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do, or do I have to send this back to the depot, yet again?

Edit: I forgot to mention this is a T410 received mid July 2010 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 489
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problems with warranty service

what i suggest you to do and to all my friends whom has a T410, T510, W510.

The only way to resolve the flex problem, is actually to glue some thin felt pad under the keyboard in area that have the flex problem. So far it has worked a charm.

The new keyboard works quite well when the flexing issue is dealt with.

---------------------

Regarding your problem with wrong parts been replaced and repair damages. You would have get the case escalated with IBM service, and request a customer satisfaction officer to look into the case. This should generally get the problem rectified. If that fails, then there is other avenues to deal with it.

But you should take clear photographic evidence of what you are talking about and use some 3M clear bookmarking sticky notes to clearly point out the actual damage. This will be used by the complaint officer in dealing with the depot, and directing them on how to handle the subsequent repair.

All pictures and word description should be put into a word document in words 97-2003 format, for file compatibility.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
johnsouthworth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 475
Message 3 of 5

thanks for the tips!

I figured the keyboard just needed something under that area, I was thinking high-voltage electrical tape but felt seems like an easier to find answer to that problem. 

I have compiled a complete history of my problems along with current photographs on the web

http://jsouthworth.net/lenovo/

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 473
Message 4 of 5

quite detailed, it is obvious that the depot have not done a proper job in fixing up the laptop.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
sbarbarino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 438
Message 5 of 5

We're a enterprise level customer with Lenovo and have had the same issues with Depot and Onsite techs. They sent me a docking station that was locked and no key to unlock it. I couldn't dock the computer and had to send it back. Their response? "Hopefully a key gets sent this time" .

Its not just lenovo, its the state of the service industry. Thats what you get when you hire uneducated morons to work in the service department. Subpar work at subpar prices.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors