Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

7 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 1

Sharing my user experience with Lenovo ideapad Y460P

2016-11-27, 17:01 PM

I bought this laptop at 1k US dollar, which was quite an investment for a young graduate student. And it performed all well for almost a year. Then things started to change. 

Just to clarify: I owned more than 3 laptops of different brands before this one, and I did not run into as much issue as I had with this y460p. I listed the problems bellow in time sequence.

1. It started shutting down automatically, not very frequent but still significant enough to disturb my daily usage. Luckily, it was still in the warranty. So I contacted Lenovo, and we figured out there was sth wrong with the main board. I sent it back to Lenovo for a fix for free. After a week or so, it is back to me. I still feel satisfied with this product at that time.

2.  The Lenovo representative started contacting me about extending my warrantyThis is not an issue, but still related to my experience. I used a Lenovo laptop from 2008-2012 with minimum problems, so I was quite confident in this IdeaPad quality and I denied to extend the warranty. Lenovo called me three times asking me to extend. I told the last caller:"I trust in your product, and I will take care of it". That is the end of the warranty story, but it implied that I have to deal with all the problems happened later.

3. The real problems: Around two years after purchase, the laptop is not charging anymore! I brought it to our university IT store and they say the DC port for charging needs to be replaced. So I paid for the fix. It was fine for about 8 months when it failed again. The power cord plug in site started wobbling. Also, at this time, I found the material of this laptop body started falling into pieces. Literally, I found screws missing, and plastic peices of the main body fell on my desk.Small bolts started missing because the plastic sites holding them dropped off. The laptop body started to loosen. I replaced the inner power cord myself, only to find the weak piece fragile to touch. I've replaced the screen for my windows phone, and run into no problem at all. However, when I tried to fix the laptop, black fallen plastic species can be seen everywhere. The charging recovered after my fix, but I have one question to ask: How hard and expensive it is for manufacturers or designers to find stronger materials than this for a $ 1399 laptop? I became reluctant to carry it with me since I felt that the material is not holding its own weight anymore. About 3 years after purchase, the three metal power plugin lost the top metal for the ground wire. Then the fancy slide navigation system, OneKey theater system, and even Bluetooth system went absent after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7.  Later, the ventilation grill cracked and started sticking out of the surface. 5 years now, the CD drive sometimes make some noise even when nothing is in it and no one uses it. Once, it wouldn't open whatever I do. The greater and more terrifying noise are from the fan area. Every twice in a day, I can hear this clear and sad noise, which might be the fan run into sth and stuck for a few second.

Also, the camera login system never worked well since purchase, and the microphone died about 2 years after purchase. It is built in with the motherboard so I can't afford to change it.

I loved Lenovo, but this made it very hard to continue. As I said, I owned a few other laptops before, so I am not skating on this IdeaPad or using it as cutting board, or treating it badly to lead to all those issues. And I have no idea why a product like this would be out on the market and hurt the customers. At least, I want my story to be seen by others, so the facts are spread out and this does not happen to others.

I still have it, and I am writing this post with it. If any of you are interested to see proof of what I just said above (especially Lenovo experts), feel free to contact me and heal my experience. Hope you guys are doing a better job now.

A Lenovo user trying hard to enjoy and maintain it.:mansad:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms