Did you mean: 
Robert654
Punch Card
Views: 589
Message 1 of 6

So hard to even buy a Lenovo!

Watch out wall of text

How this all started

I wanted to buy a small 11 to 13 inch notebook to install Ubuntu on. Mostly for network troubleshooting, wireless testing, little pen testing.

A professional looking notebook (think thinkpad series) with decent battery life and at least a 1377x768 resolution, with an anti-glare screen. Preferably with bluetooth and a/b/g/n networking capability. No need for a DVD drive. No need for the latest Intel i-series CPU, but a current CPU not a core 2 duo, AMD single core, Atom.

So at first I came across the Thinkpad Edge 11, 13, x100e, x120e.

The x100e gets very bad reviews, is pretty old, and has a slow cpu so was first to drop from the list. The Edge 11 and 13 are getting quite old also models are almost a year on the market. And the Edge 11's CPU is also pretty slow.  The Edge 13 is already end of life on the US website but still ok. So I was left with the Edge 13 or x120e with a strong lean towards the x120e. The computer market moves fast enough so if you buy a model that’s already a year old it will be ancient in 2-3 years.

The x120e is really interesting, good reviews, pretty fast new AMD CPU, pretty long battery life.

And to my surprise the x120e is not available in Europe. Then I found the Edge e220(s) no available either. I've been trying to find out if these models are going to be released in the near future in Europe, but doesn't look like it. Found a German website with a post from someone at Lenovo (don’t have the URL anymore) saying the x120e would be released, but a few hours later he edited his post, saying he made a mistake and the x120e isn't coming.

So the only 11" to 13" models in Europe are the outdated edge 11, edge 13 or very badly reviewed x100e. Besides the expensive +1500 euro models of course.

So I started looking at the Edge 13, its pretty cheap so was thinking might not be so bad the model is a little dated. But only color that is available here is shiny red (which I think is really ugly) and without bluetooth. And it has a glossy screen. I checked at least 20 resellers.

So started to look at other models found the L420, available in Europe.

Starting price in US $599, starting price in Holland a whopping 752 euro (ex shipping), which is 1,114,01 Dollars. On the Dutch Lenovo website it says 715 euro but at the cheapest resellers it's 752 euro. That’s almost double in price! I know we Europeans always get screwed with a higher price same with Apple, Dell, etc. And I accepted that a long time ago. But double price seems a bit insane. Normally it's around 20% - 25%.

Besides the L420 is 14" and only has a resolution of 1366x768, which is quite bad for 14". And it has DVD drive which I will never use. So the L420 isn't going to be the one.

I get that Holland with 17mil people is a small country and Lenovo sells not enough hardware to put up big resell offices and offer build to order.

Although Dell did it, not that I'm the biggest Dell fan just saying it’s possible for Dell should be possible for Lenovo. Dell has built to order in Holland as long as I can remember.

Alternatively could let Dutch and Belgium people order on the German website. I tried but you can only enter a German address.

I would think assembly Europe is done in same factory anyway; Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy (And most other EU countries) same powerplugs and most rules and regulation are on European level so not many problems there. Only difference is the language, shouldn’t be too hard to have different images with the different languages.

Or just put them on the German, French, British amazon websites.

Guess Lenovo is thinking the market in Europe is too small to take it serious.  Well no wonder not enough people buys their hardware if hardly any models are available and a lot of models that are available are outdated and are at a premium price.

Ow one last thing why is there no rebate program for people who don't want Windows? Everyone pays at least 50 euro/dollar too much now. But guess that's a discussion for another day. Might want to prepare for it though. Many lawsuites at the moment across Europe against Microsoft and OEM's about this. Suspect isn't going to long before the EC comes up with another mega fine.

Could buy of eBay of course, but then you will have to pay 20% import tax, expensive shipping, claiming warranty will be hard, and different power plug etc.

Time to wake up Lenovo up it's 2011, everyone is doing worldwide simultaneous releases now, please join that club!

So many hours (and days) later surfing, very frustrated and still haven’t found a new laptop.......

So hard to even buy a Lenovo (without getting an old model or paying way too much)

Robert

Robert654
Punch Card
Views: 563
Message 2 of 6

Re: So hard to even buy a Lenovo!

So... I check out the T420.
Cheapest model 799 dollar US, here 1.197 euro. Thats 1.714 dollars! Not that I can't afford it... but I would never be able to use the thing without feel super embarrassed I over payed so much.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 556
Message 3 of 6

Robert654, welcome to the forum,

are you sure you are comparing "like" with "like"?  There are some points you need to check on;

All European T-series systems come with a 3 year guarantee, in the USA it's just one year.

IWS, International warranty Service is standard in Europe, not necessarily in the USA. You need to check the type number against the IWS site when purchasing a system in the USA to ensure you have warranty coverage in Europe.

Import taxes are different in Europe to the USA, if you import a system from the USA you will be required to pay these on top of the price of the system you purchased in the USA.

In the USA, as I understand it, there is no VAT, Value Added Tax 20% in the UK - in Germany it's called MwSt. Mehrwertsteuer currently 19%, this will also have to be paid if you import a system from the USA.

Of course the fluctuating exchange rate will also be a factor.

edit; typo

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Robert654
Punch Card
Views: 548
Message 4 of 6

That's what i said before, we usually pay between 20% and 25% more then US price. VAT is 19% in Holland. But 125% more is just nuts.

Sorry to use Dell as an example again but I just configured a Dell Latitude E6320 same CPU, same screen, 4GB ram, both extended battery, both 3 years the same warranty; US price 1163 dollar, Dutch price 1124 euro.

Prices on the Dutch Lenovo website are ex VAT. The T420 is for 1099 euro ($1,593.66) ex VAT on Dutch site.

(Besides for upgrade on the T420 from 1 year to 3 years warranty you only pay 74 dollar on the US site)

Maybe the marketing department should recalculate prices!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 526
Message 5 of 6

In the US, sales tax applies to most retail consumer purchases of computers. It varies by state, county, and city. In New York City it's 8.875%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Summary_table

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 462
Message 6 of 6

@Robert654 wrote:
So... I check out the T420.
Cheapest model 799 dollar US, here 1.197 euro. Thats 1.714 dollars! Not that I can't afford it... but I would never be able to use the thing without feel super embarrassed I over payed so much.

Don't blame Lenovo for your countries and the EU's rediculous VAT rates. Same reason that gas costs more over there even though everyone pays the same price per barrel.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors