Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soupbone
What's DOS?
Views: 167
Message 1 of 1

Surprisingly poor customer service

I don't think this is a "vendetta post," but merely an expression of my frustration and disappointment. However, I'm sure there are monitors who will correct me if I'm wrong...

To whom it may concern, especially Lenovo and anyone considering buying a Lenovo laptop.

My 14 year old son saved up $600 and bought his first laptop with financial help and
technical advice from his technophile aunt in January, 2014: a Lenovo IdeaPad Z510.
Although I was staying out of it while he worked with his beloved aunt (who lives in
another state), I approved the choice of Lenovo, thinking, "Oh, IBM/Lenovo -- if he
ever needs it, he'll definitely get good customer service." I was wrong.

Everything went fine for about 6 months, and then he got the first blue screen. My son is
particularly interested in computers and has interned as a computer repair technician,
but he couldn't get anywhere, so the machine was returned to Lenovo, where it was
repaired (new hard drive) under warranty. This repair took about a month to complete. The
laptop was returned and worked fine for about two months. Then it blue screened again. It
was returned to Lenovo, where it was again repaired under warranty (another new hard
drive). This repair took more than two months to complete. When the laptop was returned
it worked fine for about a month, and then blue screened again. Now the laptop was out of
warranty (and I was still out of the loop). However, my son talked to someone
at Lenovo who agreed to repair the computer for a third time, even though it was out of
warranty. This repair took several months to accomplish, and when the laptop was returned
(in August 2015) it only worked for about a week before blue screening.

By this point my son was fed up and discouraged, and he gave up on Lenovo. I don't blame
him, but it was unfortunate. I found out about the entire state of affairs when my now 16
year old son came to me three weeks ago (May, 2016) for help buying a new laptop.
"What about the laptop you just got a couple years ago?" I asked, and
eventually pulled this story out of him.

After two weeks, four emails and 12 phone calls (including five to the "escalation
manager's" number, which was unable to take messages), I finally reached the manager
in charge of my son's case today (6/3/16). My question was: "Why didn't you offer to
replace the machine, or at least offer him a substantial discount on a new one? This
laptop was clearly a lemon." Her response was: "It's out of warranty. He should
have called again soon after the last repair (replacing the hard drive for the third time
in 10 months) didn't work. I can offer you a 10% rebate if you buy a new Lenovo
laptop."

At no point did anyone at Lenovo suggest that my son abused his laptop or filled it up
with viruses, malware or other user-generated problems. Yes, he should have called again
right away after the third hard drive failed, but Lenovo should have acted proactively to
protect their reputation and serve their customer. I don't know of the universe where it
is acceptable and reasonable that a laptop will need three new hard drives within 16
months of leaving the factory.

A 10% discount is a joke -- I can do better than that by watching Best Buy and Amazon ads
for a couple weeks. So here I am, regrettably reduced to warning others: Lenovo ain't
what it used to be. The descendant of the once-mighty IBM now evidently makes computers
that don't last more than 6 months, and they don't seem to care to protect their
reputation or respond to their customers' needs. The manager I talked to was very
pleasant and nice, but I don't need that -- I need a computer that works, or a customer
service rep who can resolve the situation for me.

This was a reputation-killing experience for me, and more importantly, for my son, the
next generation of computer-buyer. Lenovo sold him a crappy machine and then kicked the
can down the road with slow and ineffective repairs until they could say, "Sorry,
the warranty's expired. Should have called sooner." This behavior may make some
manager's quarterly report look better, but it will kill the company, which is a shame.
IBM used to be a blue chip company, but its offspring has squandered its inheritance.

Mod's Edit: Copied post out of text box and into Body of message for easier reading.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors