06-21-2019

GB

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 2

Terminology

2020-07-20, 11:49 AM
I I would like to suggest that in the help sections the words Turn On are replaced in many instances by the word Switch. Where the occasion is left, off and right is on, there is no turning or rotating involved. Switch is simple, either on or off. Left or right. These were my thoughts when arranging not to be disturbed and the many "switches" to action. Best
Options

3216 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12292 Signins

177018 Page Views

• Views: 177018
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Terminology

2020-07-20, 13:25 PM

@ geebs46 wrote:

I I would like to suggest that in the help sections the words Turn On are replaced in many instances by the word Switch. Where the occasion is left, off and right is on, there is no turning or rotating involved. Switch is simple, either on or off. Left or right. These were my thoughts when arranging not to be disturbed and the many "switches" to action. Best

Welcome to the forum.

The OED has two definitions for "turn." 

"Move in a circular direction wholly or partly around an axis or point."

"Move (something) so that it is in a different position in relation to its surroundings or its previous position."

It goes further...

turn something on

1 Start the flow or operation of something by means of a valve, switch, or button. e.g. ‘she turned on the TV’

1.1 Adjust a tap or switch in order to start the operation or flow of something. e.g. ‘I turned the switch on’

So according to Oxford this usage of "turn" is correct. That said, I agree that "switch" might be easier for someone who isn't fluent in English to understand.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete