Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 8 (5,543 Views)

Terrible Lenovo Customer Service: Can anyone help me?

Can anyone help me? What can I do to talk to someone with any management authority at Lenovo? Any advice would be appreciated:

I have repeatedly been promised phone calls and/or emails  from Lenovo's "Customer Advocate Team" for two months now, but have yet to talk to anyone regarding my broken computer and the complaint I laid regarding the service (or lack thereof) which I have received from Lenovo.

The lackeys at the customer service line (which as far as I can tell, is a contracted company whose call centre is located in the Philippines) are completely unable to help me every time I call, and just keep telling me that my case has been marked high priority and to expect a phone call from the mysterious "Customer Advocate Line", for which they are unable to provide me with a phone number or email address which I can call myself.

The computer was mine for less than 24 hours when the headphone jack broke, despite the fact that it was not used improperly or roughly. It was sent back to Lenovo, and I was told they need to replace the motherboard and that I need to pay for it. While I realize that it wasn't technically covered by warranty, any company with any decent level of customer service would admit that there was a defective product, or at least be willing to discuss the case with me. Two months ago I requested to talk with someone at Lenovo and have been waiting ever since to be contacted.

Is this all a scam? Do they just wait until you get so frustrated that you pay whatever they want for a defective brand-new product!? I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING LENOVO AGAIN AND WILL RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE NOT TO BUY LENOVO DUE TO THEIR TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

What can I do to talk to someone at Lenovo? Any advice would be appreciated.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 8 (5,468 Views)

Re: Terrible Lenovo Customer Service: Can anyone help me?

When you say you say the headphone jack is broken, can you elaborate this a bit more?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 8 (5,437 Views)

I unplugged the headphones normally and without "excessive force", and the plastic piece surrounding the jack came out. I took it to the retailer who shipped it back to Lenovo who said that the motherboard needed to be replaced.WTF? I have no idea why I'm expected to pay for a motherboard replacement. The cost is over 1/3 of the original cost of the computer. I had it for less than 24 hours and did not do anything wrong with it.

To date I have yet to speak with anyone with any authority in the case and have only been promised (at least 10 times now) that I will receive a phone call, which has never happened. The customer service is terrible. The system is clearly set up so that they don't have to deal with anyone's problems or complaints, simply charge the customer money and refuse to talk with them.

I am very very frustrated, especially since it has been 2 months now, and I don't have the computer I bought, nor do I know if anyone has ever considered the case or my complaint. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm very angry that I bought an inferior product and that Lenovo will not communicate with me at all.

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 8 (5,421 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have been dealing with IBM then Lenovo for years. My experience show the customer service quality is getting worse after IBM PC department was token over by Lenovo.

I have a Lenovo laptop battery (FRU P/N 92P1131) which I believe is affected by the Lenovo battery recall. Lenove requests customer to download and run a application in the PC to determine if the battery is covered by the recall program. However I cannot get this programs to run in my T60p to check the battery and submit the order for a replacement, because this suck bad battery is causing the Windows XP OS in my T60P to freeze which prevents the Lenovobatteryprogram.exe application and any other program to run.

Today I spent over one hour over the phone talking to two different support guys in US support center explaining my situation to them. However they both insisted that I had to run the above program in my system and for the submission could only be done online. The second support guy, David, also told me since my laptop warranty had expired the battery recall would not apply to my battery even the FRU showed it was affected. As I understand the battery recall is based on the FRU not the system warranty. I do not know if this guy misunderstood the connection between system warranty and the Lenovo battery recall program, or he just wanted to fool the customer.  

Both support guys had no patient to listen to the customer. The 1st support guy did not solve my problem and forwarded my call back to the main menu. The second one told me he could not do anything for me and he refused to forward my call to his manager. I do not know how the Lenovo support guys were trained to solve this kind of problem. My experience when similar problem occurs to the support of Dell, Sony and Toshiba, which the support guy was unable to handle, they would not hesitate to forward the issue to their upper management for a solution. It is obvious that Lenovo is going the opposite way as her competitor does.

To the manufacture, it is a better way to control cost by only allowing customer to submit the recall replacement submiision online, however, this may not work for every customer. 

Lenovo should take some lesson from the automobile giant.

Note from Moderator:  Employee name/e-mail/phone removed to protect their privacy per the forum rules.

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 8 (5,296 Views)

[ Edited ]

Some update on my case.

As mentioned in my original post, the Lenovo support guy refused to forward my call to his manager but finally he gave me his manager's email address because of my insistence.

I emailed Ken, the assistant operation manager, explaining my issue to him and got his reply on the next day:

"Someone should have already contact you to get this resolved. Our apologies.
The problem here is that your machine is OOW and we have to follow another process to resolve the issue.

Thanks"

My thought:

The manager's email made me so confusing. I was responding to the Lenovo battery recall program not asking for in warranty replacement, why they kept talking about my machine was OOW? I was so frustrated and wrote back to Ken:

"I told the support guy that I was not looking for in warranty replacement. What I was doing was in response to the Lenovo battery recall program. I double check the Lenovo battery recall program and do not see any statement talking about the machine should be in warranty or the recall will not apply.

Thank you."

Then, I got this from Ken:

"Thank you for your email. Please, if you read my email carefully, I said, someone will call you and resolve the issues.
I mention the OOW because if the machine was in warranty, we could have resolved your issue that same day.
But since the machine is OOW, we have to resolve it through a different process.

I didn't say because your machine was OOW, we couldn't help you.

So , please Sir, just bare with me as we resolve your battery issu
e.

Thanks"

My thought:

I do not know how other Lenovo customers would feel, but I did not expect I would get this reply from a "Project Management Professional Trained" manager in IBM/Lenovo Smartcenter ThinkProducts Remote Support. I was told that if the machine was in warranty, the issue could be resolved the same day. I understand that. However, that was Lenovo's internal processing method (or an internal workaround), wasn't it? Why Lenovo bother to gave that as an excuse to the customer? Has Lenovo ever thinked of any other better way to explain the situation to custome and better way to handle this issue? Instead of talking about the warranty or OOW, could Lenovo simply say "Okay, no problem. We are sorry for the online submisstion does not work, we are happy to take the recall request over the phone (via email) and process it manually for you" .

Okay, after spending so much time over the phone and writing, finally I got a call from someone in Lenovo, asking for my mailing address. A replacement battery was shipped to me via FedEx 2nd delivery in the following week.

Admin edit - Glad to hear that it worked out.   It seems the correspondences could have been written in a more personal and customer friendly manner.   I apologize.  I agree with you that from an overall perspective, we should have an easly way to make things right on the spot .  As it stands, the support agents must entitle a part against an in warranty system.  The battery extended service program on the web is an entirely seperate entilement and fulfillment process, that is entitled and qualified based on the barcode of the battery and not the system it is in.  The support agents do not have access to this mechanism to use it to fulfill your request manually if it didn't work on the web.  

As a result, they needed time to go through a one time warranty exception request and approval before the battery could be processed as an exception, through the normal warranty parts fulfillment mechanism.   

I'm sure you would have understood this, and been reasonable allowed us the time to accomplish this without additional escalation,  had it been explained to you this way.

Mark

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 8 (4,932 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just talked to a support guy 

since he unable to handle my problem and suggested me to write the email

then I ask him could you tell me where I should email to?

he basically suggested I "google" it.

because "that' a very simple thing for you to do."

I'm shocked that you call a company's support center,

the support guy does not even know their own company's email info,

and he has to goolge (and unable to find it) it for the customer...

that's the worst and most ridiculous experiences I've ever had with any customer service center!!!!

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 8 (4,931 Views)

[ Edited ]

Also,  last but not least.

for your own benefit...

NEVER believe any information the support guy gave you.

cause there's lots of chances they are giving you the wrong information

and lenovo is very likely not going to take the responsibilities for the consequence of their error!

Former Administrator
Message 8 of 8 (4,885 Views)

smarlie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated, but it would help if you would explain what your basic issue is that you need help with.

This forum is intended for peer to peer problem solving, with some help from Lenovo.

I'll try to help you with your problem, and I would ask that you start a new conversation, and try to explain what the problem is, what system you have, and what help you need to get it resolved.  Let's focus on what you need to get solved.

Thanks.

Mark

Top kudoed Authors