Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad P53 Battery stops charging when turning airplane mode on

2020-03-07, 19:00 PM

Hi

I noticed a really strange issue today which gave me a mini heart-attack.

I was out and working on my P53 on battery. When it got to around 30% battery level, I turned airplane mode on, to conserve some battery so I could use it a little longer. Anyway, by the time I was done, the battery level was around 20% ish.

Went back home, plugged the laptop and turned it on. All of a sudden I got that error message that says something along the lines of "The connected AC adapter has a lower wattage than the recommended .. ". I freaked out. Last thing I want is to have to deal with Lenovo support and ship the laptop in for a repair.  

I tried many things, using different power outlet, disconnecting and reconnecting the power adapter, even unplugged the internal battery and tried to boot it just using the power adapter. Nothing helped. When I would get past the error message and manage to turn the laptop on, the battery wouldn't charge. My last resort was to use my USB-C charger from my T480s I thought I can charge the battery and try again if it helps. I should be able to charge it using the Thunderbolt port right? No luck, that one didn't charge it at all.

Finally I gave up, I thought I will just turn it on one last time, save all my work and do a final git push, before trying to contact support. Git push didn't work because I guess I was still on Airplane Mode, as soon as I turned off airplane mode, the **bleep** thing started charging and working as expected.

I thought maybe I am going crazy, how can the 2 be related. I tried toggling airplane mode a few more times and yes, for some odd reason, it doesn't charge when in airplane mode. It seems like a bug with the power management software.

Do you know if there is a place I can report this issue to be addressed? Not sure if it matters, but my laptop has wifi + wwan card.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else noticed this or if anyone encounters this issue and needs help.

Options

3834 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5727 Signins

66061 Page Views

• Views: 66061
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Thinkpad P53 Battery stops charging when turning airplane mode on

2020-03-07, 20:11 PM

I moved your post into the P and W model area. You might want to have a look at this post, however:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506058

Let us know.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

4 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 3 of 8

2020-03-07, 20:15 PM

Hi

Thank you for moving it.

Yes I saw that article afterwards, but that doesn't seem like a solution, just a workaround. What if your battery is dead completely and there is no way to turn on the laptop to disable airplane mode? I was lucky it had a bit of battery left so I could turn it on and disable it.

Options

9 Posts

12-06-2019

France

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 4 of 8

2020-03-07, 21:30 PM

Hello I guess it s due to thunderbold, i sent the laptop to factory they change the thudenrbdl and it works as is usal

Options

8 Posts

02-18-2020

Israel

8 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-03-31, 7:29 AM

Hi, I also have the same laptop (P53), and I noticed that in flight mode the battery stops charging, like you wrote

I'm afraid that if the battery runs out and the computer is in flight mode, I won't be able to charge the battery and not turn on the computer.

If you had any other solutions?

Options

12 Posts

10-28-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 6 of 8

2020-08-03, 5:04 AM

Following up on this myself, is there an actual solution to this problem yet?

A solution, not a workaround. Turn off airplane mode is not a fix for not being able to charge with airplane mode on.

This seems to be widespread across Lenovo laptops. 

It is a little crazy that my $5000 thinkpad laptop cannot charge with airplane mode on.

When laptop is completely dead and windows cannot be logged back into to disable airplane mode as well what is the solution?

Options

12 Posts

10-28-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-08-03, 5:05 AM

Sebastien 
Hello I guess it s due to thunderbold, i sent the laptop to factory they change the thudenrbdl and it works as is usal

What was the process to get this fixed?You contacted them and they said send it into the factory and they fixed it?What exactly did they change or do?What do you mean they changed the thunderbdl?

Options

4158 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9130 Signins

196483 Page Views

• Views: 196483
  • Message 8 of 8

2020-08-03, 6:03 AM

Hello,

This is not a bug or a defect but a safety feature.

Airplanes with 100 Watt charging receptacles are becoming more standard, however, as I recall, the ThinkPad P53 requires a 170 or even a 230 Watt charger, depending upon its configuration. 

Plugging a device into an airplane seat power outlet that consumers 1.7-2.3 times the wattage could cause the outlet's circuit breaker to trip.  If there is an electrical problem with the outlet, though, an electrical fire could occur aboard the airplane.

The Airplane Mode option on the computer disables AC charging so that in case the computer is plugged into an outlet with faulty circuit breaker, it just won't charge, as opposed to starting an electrical fire aboard the plane in which you are flying.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms