Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 11 (7,984 Views)

Thinkpads without trackpoint buttons

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else feel the thinkpad design DNA is falling prey to apple monkey see monkey do behaviour?

One of the most important things with thinkpad has always been productivity, this productivity comes through people being familiar with their hardware. First the keyboard without the corner block in new thinkpads, and now the physical buttons of the trackpoint are gone in the latest x230s & t431s. Those trackpoint buttons have been there for decades and is a part of thinkpad dna. I'm all for innovation but this is fooling around with thinkpad dna....I love using my x220, it's the best designed thinkpad, granted not as well built as the T or W series but still. It's a thinkpad through and through, it's the same great design I've been using since mid 90's. But this newer design is not...

I really hope lenovo/thinkpad doesnt take off the trackpoint buttons in all it's future laptops. And give back a corner block in the chicklet type keyboards.

Link to image

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB converted to link(s). Community Rules.

SCSI Port
Message 2 of 11 (7,883 Views)

Re: Thinkpads without trackpoint buttons

It is a shame, annoying too. I'd like to see a return for the buttons. The builtin left and right buttons don't always work.
Message 3 of 11 (7,870 Views)

Where did you found this picture?

Punch Card
Message 4 of 11 (7,808 Views)

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 11 (7,791 Views)

That was my reaction too. I'd have to try it before passing final judgment, but I use the TrackPoint primarily and rarely to never use the trackpad, so naturally I'm worried that the lack of discrete buttons will hamper usability.

But then again, we're also seeing the end of traditional port replicators in the latest ThinkPad teasers. Not to mention some of these designs don't even have fold-flat screens. I just hope the T-series is intact and that they bring back the 7-row keyboard.

Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 11 (7,786 Views)

The DockingPort is stil there, not on the X230s, but on the new T431s, so that won´t die so fast. 

X230s and T431s have both fold-flat screens. The T431s look like that:

T431s-1.png

Guru
Message 7 of 11 (7,772 Views)

bouncing wrote:

That was my reaction too. I'd have to try it before passing final judgment, but I use the TrackPoint primarily and rarely to never use the trackpad, so naturally I'm worried that the lack of discrete buttons will hamper usability.

Watch for the little red dot disappearing three generations from now...Smiley Mad

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
Message 8 of 11 (7,590 Views)

Turns out the thinkpad helix has dumped the seperate buttons as well on the keyboard dock.

Really sad

http://liliputing.com/2013/02/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-windows-8-hybrid-launch-delayed.html?utm_source=...

Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 11 (7,575 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, the Helix was pretty much the very first device where this was done. Smiley Wink I wouldn´t judge it until I get my hands on one of those new TouchPads. On the ThinkPad Twist, I like the integrated TouchPad buttons very much, so I looking forward to this change.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 10 of 11 (6,432 Views)

I think that I'll stay with my X220, equipped with new 3rd generation IPS screen and eGPU for a long time.

Where is the detachable accumulator? Where are the track point buttons? Where is normal wide classical keyboard? Where is Lenovo light? Where is the docking station port? Where did all **bleep** status indicators gone? No Express card or Thunderbolt port?

To all designers and managers in Lenovo, who let oneself be led by the stupid trend of glossiness, wish you all burn in hell.

X220, IPS, Intel Core i7-2620m, 8 gb, Samsung 840 pro 256 gb, eGPU + Zotac AMP GeForce GTX 670.
Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count