Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-12-2012

united states

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 5

Too late for refund?

2012-07-12, 20:25 PM

Hi, 

I bought a lenovo laptop at the very end of January 2012 brand new.  I barely used it until this last month. The hard drive is dead, determined by the support center that I called. 

I sent in the laptop to be repaired, they said they would only pay for the Fed Ex labels to return it if I bought another year of support. I agreed (perhaps foolishly)...

Anyway, it's been about 5 months now, they said they will replace the hard drive, but I'm really scared to rely on the product now, I am a student, and have my own business and work for another business all involving web and computer related fields. 

Is there any way to get a refund on this??? Or is the 21 days sent in stone. If not, where do you think the best place to resell it is?

Any info is great. thanks

Options

1022 Posts

01-07-2011

Sacramento, CA

550 Signins

8462 Page Views

• Views: 8462
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Too late for refund?

2012-07-12, 20:54 PM

Why did you even send it in? They will send you out a replacement hard drive and you just install it and restore using the factory recovery disc set that you should have burned when you first got the machine. You also should have paid the extra ~$150 when you ordered the machine to upgrade to two years next business day on-site warranty with ThinkPad Protection (covered physical damage) if you cannot afford to be without the machine. I did when I ordered my ThinkPad and never had to use it, they are reliable machines. You should not blame the ThinkPad brand for a hard drive failure, hard drive failures are common. In fact I would just toss a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 SSD in there and forget about it.

Options

3 Posts

07-12-2012

united states

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 3 of 5

2012-07-12, 21:02 PM

Well, thanks for the info. To be honest, I loved the laptop until it broke, it was great and perfect. 

I have never heard of a hard drive breaking within such a short time. Have you? 5 months seems kind of quick to me. 

Anyway, thanks for the helpful info. 

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 4 of 5

2012-07-12, 22:42 PM

wrote:

I have never heard of a hard drive breaking within such a short time. Have you? 5 months seems kind of quick to me.

having personally serviced north of 300 laptops over the years, i'd easily say that most HDD failures occur within the first 6~12 months.   no brand of drive manufacturer is infallible whether it be mechanical or solid state.   anything can fail at any time.   keeping good backups is mandatory.

while it's unfortunate that your drive failed, this isn't a lenovo-specific issue.   any drive can fail whether purchased with a system or separately.

if it helps, i just had a 1TB notebook drive fail yesterday.   it was manufactured march of 2012 and was less than four months old.   it was backed up in duplicate so there were no losses.

hope that helps.

regarding your original question, the 21-day return window is in stone.   there's no way to know what you've done with the laptop over the past 5~6 months other than your word that you didn't use it.   it's quite unfortunate to have a hard drive die but i wouldn't let that be the determining factor in your sale.   sell it because you don't use it or no longer need it, not because a common part failed.   again, that could happen to anyone regardless of brand.

welcome to the forum btw!

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

987 Posts

06-03-2011

United States of America

591 Signins

14790 Page Views

• Views: 14790
  • Message 5 of 5

2012-07-13, 10:10 AM

Drives fail. I once had a drive fail within a few weeks of purchase. Upgrade to an SSD, and use the HDD as a backup, or purchase a second HDD to back up your system with.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms